Vintage Lens: MC MIR-24 N 35mm f/2 vs Carl Zeiss Planar T 50mm f1.7

magellan

I am deciding between a these two vintage lenses: MC MIR-24 N 35mm f/2 and Carl Zeiss Planar T 50mm f1.7 to use with my speedbooster  Panasonic GH3 for photography mainly, and some filming. Anybody have an opinion on which would be a better choice? I realize they are different focal lengths.]

Thanks a lot y'all!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can't speak for the planar, but I absolutely love the MIR, creamy classic look with warm tones. Given the crop factor with the speedbooster that is the one I recommend. I think the planar might be a little long for general use. One thing I will say is that the mir is absolutely terrible for landscapes, hate the look of it stopped down past f5.6.

Can't speak for the planar, but I absolutely love the MIR, creamy classic look with warm tones. Given the crop factor with the speedbooster that is the one I recommend. I think the planar might be a little long for general use. One thing I will say is that the mir is absolutely terrible for landscapes, hate the look of it stopped down past f5.6.

​Awesome! Do you have any photos you took with it I could check out? Just interested.

The two lenses you're considering have two distinctly different focal lengths. The 50mm will end up being a portrait tele lens with the Speed Booster on your camera, the 35mm will behave as a normal lens. Comparing the two therefore is, I'm afraid, comparing apples and oranges. On top of that, the Zeiss will have a modern, cool, rather clinical look, the MIR will look slightly more vintage - but not much since it's a rather modern lens compared to the Russian vintage classics Helios 58mm, Zenit 85mm and MIR 37mm.

I did have the MIR 35mm/2.0 in Nikon mount, but sold it after comparing it to my Nikkor Ai-s 35mm/2.0. The two lenses didn't differ that much since both produced a similar-looking, "warm"/non-clinical and subjectively pleasing image somewhere in between a vintage and a contemporary lens. But the Nikkor had overally better optical quality (color rendition and detail resolution) and a more solid metal construction. Since the two lenses came really close, I'd advise to not hesitate buying the MIR if you should find it for $100 or less. (The Nikkor normally sells for around $150 in good used condition, but since I happened to get mine for around $70, it even was a better value deal for me than the MIR.)