Samsung nx1 and VLC 2.2.0

Raymond Poulet

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sweet! Next step, we need a major NLE to support H.265 (I've heard Powers Director does? But that hardly counts).

Then GPUs to offer hardware acceleration.

Is going to be a tough choice for me which of A7s / NX1 / GH4 to get this year as my next A cam upgrade. 

But if the NX1 gets NLE support and a focal reducer, that will seal the deal for me.

Otherwise I guess it depends on which of A7s or GH4 gets the biggest upcoming price drop first. 

Powerdirector 13 has smooth playback of 80Mbit H265 videoclip from NX1 (on my almost 2 years old  i7 and mid Nvidia card)

BTW - Unfortunately I have noticed that Powerdirector introducing artifacts to compressed video - I made comparsion on same 4K clip from GoPro 4 Black compressed by Powerdirector (h264 30Mbits) and Sony Vegas 13 (with debug frame server to V dub - x264 30Mbits). Clip from Vegas was much better without artifacts.  I do not know if also affect clips from NX1 but it is possible (I am keen to compare it with original video from newest VLC). Unfortunately it is only video editor now which can be used for editing H265 clips without transcoding moreover with smooth playback (quality is lower indeed).

Powerdirector 13 has smooth playback of 80Mbit H265 videoclip from NX1 (on my almost 2 years old  i7 and mid Nvidia card)

​Unfortunately I don't regard Powerdirector as one of the main players, needs to be Final Cut (well... I don't use a Mac, so no good for me!) or Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas to add support for H.265 so that the NX1 can become a viable option for me to own.

Heck, even Avid / HitFilm / DaVinci Resolve adding support for editing with H.265 I'd regard as a more significant development than Powerdirector, and could be enough for me to get a NX1.

​Unfortunately I don't regard Powerdirector as one of the main players, needs to be Final Cut (well... I don't use a Mac, so no good for me!) or Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas to add support for H.265 so that the NX1 can become a viable option for me to own.
Heck, even Avid / HitFilm / DaVinci Resolve adding support for editing with H.265 I'd regard as a more significant development than Powerdirector, and could be enough for me to get a NX1.

​Yes, totaly understand...

What is the quality level of the RAW images you can extract back from their HEVC x265 compression?

10 bit depth and 4:4:4 chroma sampling would be perfect but I guess I have to be ready for
a less desirable answer...

What is the quality level of the RAW images you can extract back from their HEVC x265 compression?

10 bit depth and 4:4:4 chroma sampling would be perfect but I guess I have to be ready for
a less desirable answer...

​Yeah your gonna have to be, 8-bit 4:2:0. We are talking about a $1500 camera here not a RED.

​Yeah your gonna have to be, 8-bit 4:2:0. We are talking about a $1500 camera here not a RED.

​what a shame !

and don't tell me you have the same sad news for the 4K HDMI output 
of such an hi-tech sensor (and camera).

​what a shame !

and don't tell me you have the same sad news for the 4K HDMI output 
of such an hi-tech sensor (and camera).

​Um, like the above said the cheapest 4K 10-Bit 4:4:4 Camera is the Chinese KineMINI that will run you ~$4500 for that ability (4K upgrade). Other than that your talking 15 grand or more.

On the topic at hand: really enjoy using PotPlayer to review my footage, plays back absolutely fine. VLC still hangs for me.

VLC now updated to play H.265 videos directly on MAC and PC

Just installed this latest VLC update but still doesn't work for me with Samsung NX1 H265 (camera original) samples ...plays audio but with frozen frame.
The only player I've found to work well with these files is Daum PotPlayer (sorry you MAC people ..it's Windows only) ...in fact this is now my player of choice as it seems capable of playing anything I throw at it (including oddball aspect ratios such as those from Panasonic GH4 4K[PHOTO] Mode ...16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1).
PotPlayer playback allows considerable adjustments (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, playback speed, frame-by-frame forward/reverse, zooming, cropping, stretching, pan-and-scan etc. etc. ...too much to list!) many of which are available by keyboard shortcuts (including user-configurable).
Also allows frame grabbing (Current Source Frame or Current Screen Frame [including any playback cropping/sizing/image adjustments]) and video recording.
As an experiment I just tried re-recording a 46 second NX1 UHD(3840x2160 29.97fps) H265 clip to H264 at 50000KBps setting in PotPlayer (many File Formats, Video Codecs, bitrate/size/fps etc. available in video recorder configuration window).
Took just over 2 minutes and produced ~52Mbps H264 file (from 80Mbps H265 original) which is visually indistinguishable from the original. Seriously, even comparing frames side-by-side at up to 200% magnification I could see no difference (in a very detailed video of autumn trees, branches, leaves and spider webs moving in the wind) ...and, coming from a stills photography background, I'm very picky about image quality!
PotPlayer is free so I'd recommend anyone using Windows to give it a try:
https://potplayer.daum.net/
P.S. my PC is decent spec. (self built 2 years ago) but nothing exceptional: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard, Core i7-3770K CPU, 32GB DDR3 PC14900 1866MHz RAM, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC Nvidia Graphics Card, Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB SSD System Drive (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit).