Dog Schidt Optiks Flare Factory 58 (PL Mount) Review

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My Dog Schidt lens rocks. It's my other favourite lens next to my Voigtländer 17,5 and they are in totally different worlds. Rich's willingness to totally customize a lens is amazing and he has some great ideas about what works and can help you get a  beautifully unique lens. And the prices are not exorbitant considering how much handcrafting goes into these lenses. The FF38 is another great idea and I like how he's going both long (88) and wide (38) to give a small but really nicely suited set of focal lengths which allow for the crazy unique optics of the central lens to be retained. Plus with how inexpensive they are you can get a few with different customizations to suit different scenes if you like and not need to buy the 38/88 over again. 

• Administrators

Did all of those dogs have owners or were some strays? I found it very upsetting seeing the little dog holding it's paw up, like it was injured.

​They were all strays, and there were some stray hipsters there too, all wondering around without their flexibikes holding their paws up. Poverty striken place is Berlin. Sometimes the local hound comes to take the hipsters AND the dogs away all at once. The poor pup with it's paw up is probably dead by now, turned into cereal for Angela Merkel or something

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

What a fine product and lovely images. Just lovely. 

(A bit out of topic: a friendly marketing advice to Richard, change the name. This is a company that has an enormous potential in the image-making world, just not with that horrible name I'd be embarrassed to even pronounce in front of anyone not to mention recommend the product without sounding like joking. If it had a purpose, it's been served, now time for a stronger name to empahsize on these strong products)

Keep up the creative soul and the will to produce ''different'' images. It's just lovely.

Andrew, You've hit a topic that I've been ruminating on for some time.  I've been thinking a lot about the whole 4K thing and image sharpness. It occurred to me that the films that have the most lasting and profound effect on my psyche are not necessarily the sharpest and most realistic.  In fact those films are the least interesting.  The power of film is to carry us away to another place and time. Often places that never existed or idealized versions of places.  Super-sharp realistic images seldom move us in the way those haunted (often blurry images) made by uncoated lenses of than superior glass do. Even in the beginning, filmmakers such as Carl Theodor Dryer understood this. Dryer while making Vampyr in 1934 did everything he could to take the "edge off" the image including shooting through silk stockings and having the film processed completely wrong.  I personally use a 5D MK2 with old Nikon film lenses.  

62121_571866846157687_1162590493_n.jpg

​They were all strays, and there were some stray hipsters there too, all wondering around without their flexibikes holding their paws up. Poverty striken place is Berlin. Sometimes the local hound comes to take the hipsters AND the dogs away all at once. The poor pup with it's paw up is probably dead by now, turned into cereal for Angela Merkel or something

​I don't like to see animals suffering and it looked like the little fella was hurting in the vid. But maybe they were just begging. It's good to know there are no strays in Berlin. It's a terrible problem in the rest of the world.

Few days ago I saw this video on Richard's Vimeo channel and I must say that this FF58 Quasi 1.5 ultra low contrast looks beautiful on A7S. The image has enough detail but still has that very soft and organic feel. The other great thing is that this is a rare occasion when even if the image looks almost washed out, to me it feels great just like it is and I wouldn't change it much in post. Great job Richard is all I can say, both filming and enginering.

Hey Guys.  Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the kind write up Andrew.

It's funny, this blog post and the comments about the brand name being immature coincide with my current direction as it is.

Why is it called dog shit optics?  Is it supposed to be funny?  Is it supposed to get my attention? How does associating the product with dog shit making me want to buy it?  It just makes me think it must be shit quality made by immature people.  Best case for a re-brand ever!

​I'll answer this rather stale and grumpy response first:) -

1. The name sums up exactly how the lenses would be considered by traditional photographers and technicians.    

2. Yes I guess it was a bit of a joke at the time.  2.5years ago I started offering the lenses specifically to be used with the Iscorama in order allow a more vintage look - since I always found results from my iscorama were a little clinical when comapred to smaller and cheaper optics which might not have had the sharpness of the iscorama, but have a charming quality due to their limitations.  I never intended on making more than about 5-10 of these.  for a few people who shared my own feelings of the iscorama.  I wanted the lomo look, but the sharpness and ease of use of the 'rama.

3. It did get your attention, as well as a load of bloggers.  Though as far as I remember this was never a marketing strategy, but a bit of a childish joke since the concept was never meant to be anything more than that.  If I hadn;t chosen such a ridiculous name, bloggers wouldn't have blogged it and I imagine i wouldn;t be pumping huge amounts of money into developing new optics - I'd be doing 2 weeks work a month making prototypes for dyson vacuum cleaners and doing occasional photography work.

4. As I've said, the name was never a marketing decision.  It just so happens that the majority of users 'get' the fact that they're buying carefully ruined lenses.  

5. The guys who make the effort to look into it deeper are the ones who seem to be enjoying the little lenses I'm making.  This passion meant they were willing to pre order a wide angle attachment meaning manufacture could go ahead.  No other manufacturer would even entertain developing and manufacturing a wide angle attachment of such quality.

6. Not a rebrand, but I believe the 'brand' will likely soon be a lo-fi division of a more traditional company name.  Since the newly developed optics like the FF38 and FF88 as well as the TRUMP lenses I feel deserve to live within a slightly more respectful label since they couldn;t be further from shit IMO. 

What a fine product and lovely images. Just lovely. 

(A bit out of topic: a friendly marketing advice to Richard, change the name. This is a company that has an enormous potential in the image-making world, just not with that horrible name I'd be embarrassed to even pronounce in front of anyone not to mention recommend the product without sounding like joking. If it had a purpose, it's been served, now time for a stronger name to empahsize on these strong products)

Keep up the creative soul and the will to produce ''different'' images. It's just lovely.

​Thanks man.  I agree.  Lets see what happens:)