Dog Schidt Optiks Flare Factory 58 (PL Mount) Review

Andrew Reid

Here's a few more videos: https://vimeo.com/channels/dogschidtoptiks

I have to agree on Andrew's verdict. When I use the FF58's I immediately get into a more playful and experimental mood, experimenting with what I can do with the flares and the look. And the playfulness tends to be good for the creative aspect.

Dahlfors! I always appreciate your input, eapecially this post... visited the Vimeo collection and I am very impressed by the  results. For the layman :), what is being offered here? I read the article and if I understand correctly, this company is selling a lens and then an adapter that completes the anamorphic? I apologize, but I am really interested but I can't fully grasp what is being sold nor the costs. It might be clearer for me after visiting the company's site from my desktop system. Regardless, beautiful videos!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, the look is perfect for a GH4 to balance the 4K over-sharpeness. Why the need of a PL Mount since the original mount for this lens is a M-42 mount. Does it mean a double layer of adapters or is the original threaded mount removed and replaced by the new one?

Dahlfors! I always appreciate your input, eapecially this post... visited the Vimeo collection and I am very impressed by the  results. For the layman :), what is being offered here? I read the article and if I understand correctly, this company is selling a lens and then an adapter that completes the anamorphic? I apologize, but I am really interested but I can't fully grasp what is being sold nor the costs. It might be clearer for me after visiting the company's site from my desktop system. Regardless, beautiful videos!

​You can order a FF58 version that is readily fitted to use with an Iscorama anamorphic adapter.

If you don't have an Iscorama, you can also order just an FF58 with the custom options you want: color of flaring, amount of flaring etc. I have two FF58's. One lens with more flaring and less contrast, as well as one lens with less flaring and more contrast. They are fun lenses for creative shooting. I like mine since they tend to produce a look that doesn't seem as digital, boring and strict/perfect as my modern Nikon lenses. I use mine both as standalone lenses as well as paired with the Iscorama.

If you want to experiment with different looks, I can highly recommend getting an FF58 with less contrast and a bit of flare an tint. Very affordable way to get a different vintage look on your footage and stills.

As pleased as I was to see that there's another human being on earth into the Close Lobsters... imagine my dismay when you credited "The Close Lobster".

Turns a great band names into something that just sounds silly. Or like one of them went solo. Pfft.

Hey Guys.  Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the kind write up Andrew.

It's funny, this blog post and the comments about the brand name being immature coincide with my current direction as it is.

​I'll answer this rather stale and grumpy response first:) -

1. The name sums up exactly how the lenses would be considered by traditional photographers and technicians.    

2. Yes I guess it was a bit of a joke at the time.  2.5years ago I started offering the lenses specifically to be used with the Iscorama in order allow a more vintage look - since I always found results from my iscorama were a little clinical when comapred to smaller and cheaper optics which might not have had the sharpness of the iscorama, but have a charming quality due to their limitations.  I never intended on making more than about 5-10 of these.  for a few people who shared my own feelings of the iscorama.  I wanted the lomo look, but the sharpness and ease of use of the 'rama.

3. It did get your attention, as well as a load of bloggers.  Though as far as I remember this was never a marketing strategy, but a bit of a childish joke since the concept was never meant to be anything more than that.  If I hadn;t chosen such a ridiculous name, bloggers wouldn't have blogged it and I imagine i wouldn;t be pumping huge amounts of money into developing new optics - I'd be doing 2 weeks work a month making prototypes for dyson vacuum cleaners and doing occasional photography work.

4. As I've said, the name was never a marketing decision.  It just so happens that the majority of users 'get' the fact that they're buying carefully ruined lenses.  

5. The guys who make the effort to look into it deeper are the ones who seem to be enjoying the little lenses I'm making.  This passion meant they were willing to pre order a wide angle attachment meaning manufacture could go ahead.  No other manufacturer would even entertain developing and manufacturing a wide angle attachment of such quality.

6. Not a rebrand, but I believe the 'brand' will likely soon be a lo-fi division of a more traditional company name.  Since the newly developed optics like the FF38 and FF88 as well as the TRUMP lenses I feel deserve to live within a slightly more respectful label since they couldn;t be further from shit IMO. 

​I guess the name got attention in the same way that my post did.   If it works fair enough.

hey guys i have my beautiful DSO and i love the brand, and its unique style lenses.

i also love the fact that the lens is made by people that love the art themselves and not by some big corp.

i used it in weddings i used it to take pics of my family both for photography and video.

very distinct style. if i had money i would buy one of each tint and style.

How you people have managed to contact Richard to ask some questions and make an order? I have contacted him via e-mail, (three time actually and yes tried with different e-mails...) Vimeo message and here at EOSHD private message. Never have got any answers. I don't have facebook so that's why I haven't contacted that way. I am quite pissed off 'cause I really have tried to contact and ask some questions but never get any kind of answers. And I am customer ready to order and pay... Some times it is just too hard to get answers nowdays.

How you people have managed to contact Richard to ask some questions and make an order? I have contacted him via e-mail, (three time actually and yes tried with different e-mails...) Vimeo message and here at EOSHD private message. Never have got any answers. I don't have facebook so that's why I haven't contacted that way. I am quite pissed off 'cause I really have tried to contact and ask some questions but never get any kind of answers. And I am customer ready to order and pay... Some times it is just too hard to get answers nowdays.

​Yes. Be patient, it's a one person company, not a big Nikon/Canon/Zeiss type of company.

To answer the question: I mainly had contact with him over email when I ordered mine, through the same mail address as listed on the site, http://dogschidtoptiks.co.uk/contact.html.

​Yes. Be patient, it's a one person company, not a big Nikon/Canon/Zeiss type of company.

To answer the question: I mainly had contact with him over email when I ordered mine, through the same mail address as listed on the site, http://dogschidtoptiks.co.uk/contact.html.

Yeah, thanks guys for letting me know. I understand that he is one man band there. Maybe I was living too much with today "standards". Everything for me now and fast! :D just have to be more patient. It's good exercise in that matter... So thanks for letting me know, that I should just wait and be patient. :)

​Did you try calling and leaving a voice message? Online communications aren't the only option ... 

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2015 at 1:42 PM, MattH said:

Why is it called dog shit optics?  Is it supposed to be funny?  Is it supposed to get my attention? How does associating the product with dog shit making me want to buy it?  It just makes me think it must be shit quality made by immature people.  Best case for a re-brand ever!

I'm pretty sure Schidt is a German name and the lenses use Schott glass - another German name.

Not even close ... there is a small badge of a dog in a squat on the lenses.

Truth is Richard takes marginal glass and makes it sing. But is humble enough to

acknowledge the fact he was not using Zeiss or Leica or Schott glass at that point.

Loved the lenses ... which quickly escalated to levels that most cannot afford.

Tongue in cheek ... not immature.

• 3 weeks later...