“Maestro 4K” cinema camera powered by Nvidia with H.265 codec

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You say "I would prefer AJA's expertise on this." You're aware that the Cion is AJA's first camera, right?

And I must second bertzie's question: Is there definitive proof that the BMPC/Ursa/Cion share a sensor? Because if not, I would consider editing the article. Many people follow EOSHD as a camera news site, and news should be verified before it is reported.

Still, thank you for shining a light on the Maestro. Excited to hear more!

AJA has been making 90% of that camera for years, minus the sensor. I'd be pretty confident they know exactly what they're doing with codecs.

and I went to an AJA Cion demo, the rep pretty much indicated it uses the same sensor. Someone asked if they use the same sensor, and the rep replied to the effect of "Cion uses one of the best scientific sensors, and it is spool at sensor". They tested lots of sensors, found the best one and consolidated their already existing tech behind it to make a camera.

but for the physical aspects, I'd have bought a Cion right then and there. But as Andrew said, the batteries are big, and they're very long-bodied cameras. Many great cameras have this issue, and I wish they didn't. It makes it hard to put on a gimbal or even to shoot in tight spaces. Like it or not, but DSLRs have changed the way we rig our cameras. Ursa, FS7, Cion, Amira, etc. need to get with the program, IMO.

• Administrators

You say "I would prefer AJA's expertise on this." You're aware that the Cion is AJA's first camera, right? And I must second bertzie's question: Is there definitive proof that the BMPC/Ursa/Cion share a sensor? Because if not, I would consider editing the article. Many people follow EOSHD as a camera news site, and news should be verified before it is reported.

It's a well known fact

This is the sensor - http://www.cmosis.com/products/standard_products/cmv12000

Now... in the words of Charlie Brooker - go away.

It's a well known fact

This is the sensor - http://www.cmosis.com/products/standard_products/cmv12000

Now... in the words of Charlie Brooker - go away.

​Whee is AJA confirming that this is the exact sensor they used? Where is Blackmagic also confirming it? Hell, has CMOSIS said they both use the sensor?

It was a well-known fact that Canon was using a Sony sensor in their new 5d, until Canon said they didn't. Where's the actual evidence it's the same sensor?

AJA has been making 90% of that camera for years, minus the sensor. I'd be pretty confident they know exactly what they're doing with codecs.

and I went to an AJA Cion demo, the rep pretty much indicated it uses the same sensor. Someone asked if they use the same sensor, and the rep replied to the effect of "Cion uses one of the best scientific sensors, and it is spool at sensor". They tested lots of sensors, found the best one and consolidated their already existing tech behind it to make a camera.

but for the physical aspects, I'd have bought a Cion right then and there. But as Andrew said, the batteries are big, and they're very long-bodied cameras. Many great cameras have this issue, and I wish they didn't. It makes it hard to put on a gimbal or even to shoot in tight spaces. Like it or not, but DSLRs have changed the way we rig our cameras. Ursa, FS7, Cion, Amira, etc. need to get with the program, IMO.

​They've been making 90% of that camera for years? What does that even mean? And even if they've made the body and electronics, that doesn't mean their processing pipeline/encoding/CFA is up to snuff. In fact, Art Adams has some serious doubts about the camera's abilities. http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/a-critical-look-at-cions-new-demo-reel.html

A sales rep "pretty much indicating" it was the same sensor is not proof nor proper confirmation. I have no doubt they considered all their options before purchasing a sensor, but that doesn't necessarily make it the same as Blackmagic's.

• Administrators

​They've been making 90% of that camera for years? What does that even mean? And even if they've made the body and electronics, that doesn't mean their processing pipeline/encoding/CFA is up to snuff. In fact, Art Adams has some serious doubts about the camera's abilities. http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/a-critical-look-at-cions-new-demo-reel.html

A sales rep "pretty much indicating" it was the same sensor is not proof nor proper confirmation. I have no doubt they considered all their options before purchasing a sensor, but that doesn't necessarily make it the same as Blackmagic's.

​They *HAVE* been making the processing, pipeline, encoding, CFA you idiot!!

Can anyone in the class room of dummies put their hand up and tell me what AJA do aside from cameras!?

Clue, it's the same type of thing as Blackmagic before they ended up in the camera business!!

ARM+GPU+Sensor+Lens Mount+Battery+Case = the future of modular cameras. We'll be able to pick & choose, mix & match, just like we can with PC computers today. There will still be trick cameras in the same way Apple makes nice laptops and desktops, but we won't be limited by 'all or nothing' systems anymore.

H.265 is cool, however until there's real-time GPU decoding in major NLE's, 2x higher bitrate H.264 will provide the same quality and also supports 422 10-bit (and 444, and even more bits (likely H.265 too, including rec2020)).