Canon and stills - dying?

Andrew Reid

"best" product. Not "best selling" product.

Sure, Canon products may not be the cutting edge, but dollars to donuts says they sell a whole lot of them.

​Yes.  iphones are not the most innovative phones out there...  But I would rather be Apple than Samsung.

Every new camera has a few weeks on the top.

​Exactly.  You can go and cherrypick an arbitrary time frame, conduct a very unscientific poll on the web, and then extrapolate any conclusion...  Particularly if you just ignore a poll you don't like that is post right underneath the poll you are quoting.

Here check this out.  From the same page as that poll...

By far the biggest lines at this year's CP+ show in Yokohama are at the Canon booth, and they're made up almost entirely of people eager to see just two cameras - the new EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R.

So you see by picking one element on a web page and ignoring everything else on the very same web page you can make a website say anything. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think photographers are starting to see the light as well. While I love video and this site is my favorite video resource, I am primarily a photographer. In the last 6 months i've sold my entire Canon Setup (5d3, several L lenses) and switched to Nikon. The difference in image quality and versatility to me is not even close. Nikon is ahead by a mile. I had a brief pitstop with the sony A7r and A7s and while I love the images theyre capable of, they just aren't usable in a high speed environment like a wedding. AF speed is the main drawback for me. 

My two cents 

I think photographers are starting to see the light as well. While I love video and this site is my favorite video resource, I am primarily a photographer. In the last 6 months i've sold my entire Canon Setup (5d3, several L lenses) and switched to Nikon. The difference in image quality and versatility to me is not even close. Nikon is ahead by a mile. I had a brief pitstop with the sony A7r and A7s and while I love the images theyre capable of, they just aren't usable in a high speed environment like a wedding. AF speed is the main drawback for me. 

My two cents 

​Zach, you're one of the rare few who see it. Just ask any Canon shooters and they think their 5DIIIs and 6Ds are great. Not that they're bad, but if they did what you did, they'll probably not hold the Canons up in so high esteem, and probably not go through the nerd-rage to do things like rate this thread with a 1-star rating. 

When ARRI makes a still camera, then I might switch from Canon for stills ;).

​I would not switch either. You would be a fool!

I have to admit that I'm a Nikon shooter by heart (the simple reason behind: that the stuff was cheap on the used market looong time ago, when everyone switched to Canon) and I've been with with my Nikon stuff in the really dark ages (noise, AF - the Canons were allways better) just because I could not afford a switch...

And then I forget cursing about all this technical stuff and concentrate about my pictures. And when I could afford the change, there was no need any longer - why should I chance systems, when I just started to earn real money? And the reason behind this was not the D3...

Guys, this are tools, and nobody - no one on earth - will become a better photog just by switching brands.

This Canon bashing went to far for my mind, it shows no respect, of course Nikons are superior as every child knows, but to compare Canon's Colour Science with a xyz, this is were it became really ridiculous forum talk by noobs.