Canon and stills - dying?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Maybe it's a double-edged sword. Canon has the best color, and people who already own Canon didn't see anything cool in the 7D II. I'm totally happy with the 5D3 for stills. The only reason I'd replace the 5D3's is if the 5D4 did 4K, slomo, good audio, etc., so I could use one camera for both stills and video. 5D3+A7S+GH4+FS700 is a lot of gear. It's technically possible to put all those features in one camera. However, if someone did that, what's the next upgrade path to keep the cash coming in for the company? Smaller cameras are the future, so perhaps all those features with trick lens tech that fits in your pocket (including shallow DOF!).

One area for video that could use major improvement is focus using a '3D guided semi-automatic focus' system. A 3D depth sensor would allow 3D planes to be rendered into the display/viewfinder so one could see exactly where the near and far focus regions are, in real-time. This is possible for low cost today. Probably already patented (if not, after this post now public domain ;) ). It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Apple did this before anyone else.

Canon has the best color, ...

​In the end, this is purely subjective. I would agree by comparing standard settings. But switch the Nikons to Portrait modus and they are nearly the same same for skintones.

For landscapes the Nikons are allready superior.  :-)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's pretty weird calling the one selling most cameras dying. Actually, they are the de facto standard that goes hand in hand with the word ''camera'' now everywhere in the globe. 

• Administrators

Jimmy you have 94 posts worth of self expression to your record on this site, and I have 5 years of experience and thousands of blog posts. So if you're going to criticise me for lacking research, at least do so from a position of strength, otherwise you just look like another Canon fan boy.

Very few Canon users I know are satisfied with how little they have brought to the plate in DSLR video or for stills in the last 2 years.

What I meant was that innovation was dying.

It's clear they're bringing nothing interesting that's innovative or eye catching enough for a reader poll on the largest stills photographic sites on the entire internet.

​True - nothing new like EM-5 stabilisation or NX1-does-everything features.  

Although I would still rather buy a Canon if my stills glass was mainly EF lenses. They know that too. 

I posted this in another tread...

dbqhb8.jpg

Every new camera has a few weeks on the top. The cameras I remember staying there on top for a few years were the d90, probably nikons best selling digital camera, and after that the 5d mkii but to a lesser degree because it was an expensive camera. Back in the day there was not much choice and the first camera in that list was always 50% or so with the next being 20% and then 5%,etc... most being canikons. N

Canon is living off inertia, but this stops eventually.