SLR Magic Anamorphic 2x on the Panasonic GH4 (4:3)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...

I have what may be a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere. SLR Magic's Web site for the Anamorphot 2x says, "The adapter has...a native 62mm rear thread. As such it is only suitable for lenses which have a front element size of 50mm or less."

But beeldlab said he used lenses that appear to have 52mm front threads...My question: I have a GH4 with Metabones speedbooster for Canon EF glass, and I'd love to use the Anamorphot 2x with my Sigma18-35 1.8 (72mm front thread / filter size) -- is this impossible? I know the Anamorphot 1.33x fits 49/52/58/62mm Threads, so would using a 72mm to 62mm step-down ring be a stupid thing to do with my set up? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lens will be out this summer and there will be a front attachment too making it a single focus anamorphic. I shot this short with the SLR Magic anamorphot 2X.

Different taking lenses. Voitlander 17.5mm, SLR Magic 35mm, Canon FD 50mm 1.2, Helios 58mm. Diopters used. 

I have the GH4, the SLR Magic 2x Anamorphot, speedbooster and the Sigma 18-35mm. The combination works, but only at 35mm. The rest of the focal range vignettes. without a speedbooster, you can go down to 24mm. and this is only if your target aspect ratio is 2.39:1, otherwise you get a vignette. If you want that crazy 3:55:1 aspect ratio from shooting 2x anamorphic to the GH4's sensor in 16:9 mode, you'll have to use a 50mm at a minimum. 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely makes the tiniest misalignment from vertical stand out. This has been a struggle with the VidAtlantic clamps on ISCO lenses for a while now.

​The alignment collar is really nice to use, makes aligning it a snap as opposed to wrangling those 3 screws!

Yes, all shot at f4.

​Beeldlab, you said you used the Voigtlander 17.5 with it?  I'm trying to get the widest view I can with it; I bought a used Zeiss 35mm F/2 to use with a Speedbooster and it didn't vignette in 4:3 but I forgot about trying it with diopters!  Which gave me a vignette :(

35mm + speedbooster + 4k Photo is around 60mm FF equivalent, but if I use the smaller MFT lenses will I be able to go down to something like 25mm MFT?  Did you use the 17.5mm MFT without vignetting?  Andrew says the 20mm started to vignette in 4:3.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All

We will be having a casual meet-up in Los Angeles for chit chat as well as to see
some of our newer lenses over taco Tuesday!

Please bring your camera along like the previous meet-ups so you could
play with some of the lenses.

We will be bringing the SLR Magic APO HyperPrime 50mm T2.1 lens in PL
mount, the SLR Magic Anamorphot 1.33x and 2x, and two new items for
interested users to try on their camera/lens.

Date: 19th May, 2015 (TODAY)
Time : 5:00pm to 8:00pm
Venue:
 HOT ROD CAMERAS,
1413 Cole Pl,
 Los Angeles, CA 90028

Taco and drinks will be available.

RSVP: Please email me at support@slrmagic.com along with your contact number so I know if you
are coming over or not to prepare for food and drinks.

Kind rgds.,

Andrew Chan

SLR Magic

Product Manager

• 4 months later...