SLR Magic Anamorphic 2x on the Panasonic GH4 (4:3)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm very, very interested in this 2x anamorphic adapter for use with my GH4. Now, if only the GH4 could record in 24p when in 4:3 4K Photo mode...

Would the SLR Magic 25mm f/0.95 be a good match for the Anamorphot?

​Yes, I hope Panasonic will bring the 4:3 4k in 24p on the GH4. Even though I done have one, I will like to rent a GH4 and try it out with my 2x anamorphic lens. But I will not be holding my breath for that. Looking at Panasonic track record my guess will be that they will bring it later on a different new GH body and have you buy it.

Yeah hanging that lens onto the end of the Canon 40mm pancake seems like a bad idea :)

Great work as always from this company though, always glad to see a company focus on anamorphics that don't kill the budget. Actually sad to hear the lens works better with modern glass, prefer old metal lenses for use with the anamorphot.

Andrew, do I understand correctly that focus is done by the taking lens, not the anamorphic? If so, what is the minimum focus in "normal" mode? Does this mean that AF lenses can actually autofocus "through" this lens?! 

Also, you say it's not so great on fullframe, but what about APSC/S35? (I just grabbed an NX1 because I'm tired of 2x crop factor) thoughts?

So it's a unit-focus lens, but the focusing is done with the taking lens?

How well does that work? Definitely sounds like solid competition with the Iscoramas if it's single-focus.

​It is a focus through adapter and as all focus through adapter not sharp beyond 5.6 or so. Therefore it is no competition for an Iscorama. What I like about it is that it is light.

And maybe it is not that bad to blur the too sharp GH4 especially with modern lenses?!

Otherwise I'd prefer the other new kids on the block like FM or Rectilux. Unfortunately I haven't seen real life tests from the Rectilux yet otherwise I'd go for that with Moellers.

Also no support needed and easy swap as John pointed out.

Furthermore I don't expect the SLR 2x to be sifnificantly cheaper then one of the above mentioned competitors.

You can use vintage lenses.  But you have to shoot 2-3 stops from wide open - F2 means F5.6/F8 (Helios/Jupiter 9).  Modern lenses like Panasonic or SLR Magic's CINE lenses work fine but are maybe too clinical or too sharp.  Also recommended minimum aperture is F2.8, no matter what lens you use.

BTW this is NOT a focus-through lens.  You still have to use the Near/Normal ring to focus, plus focus the taking lens.  It's a compromise - it's not a single focus unit, but it's not as bad to dual-focus as some projector lenses.  I've used AF with the Panasonic 12-35mm X lens at F2.8, and then manually focused for distance with the Near/Normal ring.  Works really well and the IS helps stabilize the image.

​this is on a GH4 w/ speedbooster and an old Nikon 35mm f/1.4 AIS lens set to f/2.8.  i didn't use 4x3 mode because i didn't want to lose 24fps.  so this is a 2.39:1 center crop from the 3.55:1 original.

Nice, looks real good there. I tried 4k photomode but 25p for some reason gives me some weird banding issue. So I've just been using the c4k mode in 16:9 for all my anamorph stuff

Yeah hanging that lens onto the end of the Canon 40mm pancake seems like a bad idea :)

Great work as always from this company though, always glad to see a company focus on anamorphics that don't kill the budget. Actually sad to hear the lens works better with modern glass, prefer old metal lenses for use with the anamorphot.

If it works with  40mm on FF, I am really interested in.  But the price is another factor, below $1k is acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...