New JVC GY-LS300 a DSLR Killer and challenge to the FS7

DigitalEd

The new JVC GY-LS300 is coming out soon and the first videos look quite amazing for a $4000 4k camera with XLR audio and tons of features and can use low cost interchangeable lens.

One test shows it out resolve the Sony a7s it produces very clear detailed images that look a lot better to me then the Sony FS7 for a vimeo video and has a easy to use menu system and you can stream video as you shoot and control it remotely.

Can shoot 4k and HD at the same time and record out in HD and record inside in 4K at the same time or 4k out.

Not as good in low light as the the Sonys but just about everything else is. On par or better then most DSLRs but with better shooting features like the XLR audio and zoom control. Not the best cinema setting but can be used to get a flat look they say.

Something to think about for the price its in the middle or less then some DSLR set ups not need for a rail system and less then other 4k ENG style cameras. You could buy two for the price of one FS7.

Here is some videos from it. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You'd still need a rail system, if you have accessories that require a rail mount (follow focus, mattebox, v-mount batteries, etc).

The audio being built in is nice of course, but it hardly makes this an ENG camera. You'd need a fast, powered, parfocal zoom lens for that. A m4/3 equivalent to that Sony 28-135 would be nice. With the variable crop in s16 mode, you could maybe just use an actual B4 ENG lens.

Personally I really like the idea of the oversized sensor, and the variable crop, but I'm skeptical of it performing without moire/aliasing.

"Killer" certainly makes a more interesting thread title, but you can get an a7s body for half the price, so I'm not entirely sure they're in the same league (an epic body is twice as expensive as an fs7, and they're not).

That being said, for 4k that's quite an impressive list of capabilities, and certainly something to consider if it meets your production needs. 

With the a7s then add on the shogun to be able to record 4k, then add on XLR audio and your way over the cost of the JVC. Will have to see how it pans out when its out.

​This.

I am curious about the rolling shutter and the S16 mode. Hope to see some samples.

Some very bold claims... DSLR killer? Looks a lot better than the FS7? As good or better than the Sonys in almost every regard? 

I'm excited about these new products but some of the posts on here make me wonder if people on here actually test the products or simply jump to conclusions based on one or two sample videos. That's a bit annoying to say the least. 

For events and run&gun, this looks like a decent option. I don't really get why one would compare this camera to an extremely small, portable full frame camera that has amazing low light capabilities and I don't really get why one would compare this camera to a 4K/60fps & 1080p/180fps camera almost twice as expensive. But yes, let's call this a DSLR killer and challenge to the FS7. 

My experiences with JVC have been poor. I don't expect much from this one either. Nothing in the test footage has made me stand up and pay attention.

Feels like the pursuit of 4K is bringing us right back to 2009 in terms of DR, rolling shutter, 8bit, 4:2:0 etc

​Yeah, you going to hold that rig handheld? Where are you going to put those mic/recievers for that ELR input? Ergonomics matter when you have to deliver a product. Also HDMI is a HORRID thing to rely on.

​Yeah hdmi isn't the best (though I've had 0 issues so far with my setup), which is why the NX1, like I said, is probably the better comparison camera for the JVC. internal 4k, s35 sensor, similar iso handling. Then we could do some theoretical kit builds of each and see where they stand I suppose. Also like I said, then we end up comparing a $1500 camera to a $4000 camera... obviously the one should be better, but that doesn't kill the market for the cheaper camera. as not everyone needs those XLR inputs or the larger eng style body.

Back to your point, you can get a cage for $200 that will solve your mic-mounting and ergonomics concern... and still keep it pretty much near $4k if we absolutely need to only compare the JVC to only the a7s (but that's not really fair is it? let's compare the jvc to all dslrs since the jvc is killing them.)

Its been a very long time ago but i produced over 100 30 min TV show episodes with one 3 chip JVC camera and never had a problem with it. Then i moved into Sony DV and DVCPro doing over 100 more shows with that before getting a bum deal on a show i was working on and i sold everything and got of of video and went in to Photography full time for 15 years. Getting back into video i love what is available now and what can be done so easy now.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

isnt this the perfect camera we've been all waiting for? Just if it has a good image and it will be golden... 

Audio with XLRs, Great body design, LCD, EVF, peaking, zebras, 11 buttons, adaptable m43s mount, ability to go fullframe with SB, s16, m43s crops, broadcast approved 50mbps 4:2:2 HD, 4K, HDSDI, 4K HDMI, slowmotion, dual cheap SD media, I mean they didn't miss a single thing, and it's 4000$!

All it needs know ius to have a decent image, to be comparable to the competetion even if slighty worse it will be one of the most successful video cameras every for owners in docuentary, broadcast and narrative, a cheap fs7/c300. Please have a good looking image. 

Who would have though Samsung and JVC would bring the best video cameras on the market. It's madness. It's a kick in the head for the large camera manufacturers so even if it's not successfu in it self this camera forces the competetion to respond. Well done on listening to videographers needs in a camera JVC! 

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2015 at 2:28 AM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

isnt this the perfect camera we've been all waiting for? Just if it has a good image and it will be golden... 

Audio with XLRs, Great body design, LCD, EVF, peaking, zebras, 11 buttons, adaptable m43s mount, ability to go fullframe with SB, s16, m43s crops, broadcast approved 50mbps 4:2:2 HD, 4K, HDSDI, 4K HDMI, slowmotion, dual cheap SD media, I mean they didn't miss a single thing, and it's 4000$!

All it needs know ius to have a decent image, to be comparable to the competetion even if slighty worse it will be one of the most successful video cameras every for owners in docuentary, broadcast and narrative, a cheap fs7/c300. Please have a good looking image. 

Who would have though Samsung and JVC would bring the best video cameras on the market. It's madness. It's a kick in the head for the large camera manufacturers so even if it's not successfu in it self this camera forces the competetion to respond. Well done on listening to videographers needs in a camera JVC!