That GH4 Firmware Update...

Simon Shasha

A handful of rumour sites stated that there was some sort of GH4 firmware update due in February. The update was said to contain things such as V-Log. February is two days away from ending (down here in Australia, anyway), and it seems that there is no GH4 firmware update in site...I have a bad feeling the entire thing was too good to be true :(

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

And I can tell you... there will be a successor to the GH4!

There will be a lot of obvious things happening in the future, GH4 firmware is a very probable one. Rumored features though aren't neccessarily things that will obviously happen. Remember, we've seen images where people were supposedly running 4K-enabled firmware on an E-M1 and that was coming to us as well (oh, and 24p remember?)... I don't believe anything until I see it with my own eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah NAB is right around the corner, but last I heard v-log was just experimental. It may very well be that even with a log profile they were simply limited by the sensor they're using and weren't able to get enough DR to deliver to consumers. 

​Yeah, that's the vibe I've been getting with the lack of talk/rumour leaks regarding the firmware update - that the whole thing was just experimental.

I also started thinking that perhaps Panasonic won't release it due to the rumoured AF101 successor - perhaps Panasonic is worried that a really good firmware boost to the GH4 would result in less people purchasing the AF101 successor...

I think Panasonic are safe to boost the GH4 firmware without affecting sales of a rumoured AF200.

My hunch is that they will release a firmware update with v-log etc. alongside the announcement of the AF200 so that the GH4 becomes the perfect B Cam for the AF200 with matching colour profiles.

Maybe a hunch, maybe a hope ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Yeah it's been a long wait. Funnily enough the main feature I am looking forward to is VLOG. With A7S having SLOG and so many lovely LUTs out there I want to apply them to the GH4 footage so need LOG. Maintains small file sizes compared to raw which is very nice.

Yeah it's been a long wait. Funnily enough the main feature I am looking forward to is VLOG. With A7S having SLOG and so many lovely LUTs out there I want to apply them to the GH4 footage so need LOG. Maintains small file sizes compared to raw which is very nice.

​Have you heard any credible "rumors" about the AF200 esque camera?