Alexa Mini!

Zach Ashcraft

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haha, they made this announcement on the same day that BIRDMAN won Best Picture and Best Director Oscars, - good timing, Arri! Alexa retains the crown as the best cinema camera in the world, right as Varicam35 was about to challenge it. 200fps is a huge surprise, but the feature that I completely did not expect on an Alexa is...an EF MOUNT ! Alexa is teasing the DSLR filmmakers here...renting the body and bringing your own inexpensive EF glass might work for some...never expected a Canon EF mount on an Arri highend camera...the lack of internal RAW is the only bummer at this price range...I mean...Kinefinity did it!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's cool but what other manufacturer would get away with that hedious box + sensor ar 30+k?

I mean why not compete with the normal market, for example if this had a side grip with buttons, a swivel LCD and a top handle with XLRs at around 25K it would be an immensely popular handheld camera with the legendary alexa sensor, with such a little addition of hardware they can expand and eat a big chunk of the Canon Cinema/F5-55/Red Epic marketshare... or maybe they want to only be associated with highend-rental groups instead of mass productions & sales. 

It's cool but what other manufacturer would get away with that hedious box + sensor ar 30+k?

I mean why not compete with the normal market, for example if this had a side grip with buttons, a swivel LCD and a top handle with XLRs at around 25K it would be an immensely popular handheld camera with the legendary alexa sensor, with such a little addition of hardware they can expand and eat a big chunk of the Canon Cinema/F5-55/Red Epic marketshare... or maybe they want to only be associated with highend-rental groups instead of mass productions & sales. 

​Possibly because they don't want youtube being filled with footage that doesn't show off their camera in talented hands.

So Rolls Royce lower all of their prices as well......

The way I see it Alexa has already cut prices immensely , they are simply the best providing some of not the best image in the market. Beautiful colors, dynamic range and ease of use for professional applications.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

In 2020 I wouldn't be surprised if you could indeed pick  it up used for 5K or so, but then again, by that time you will be able to buy a new Samsung that's better in everyway and has a cupholder for the same money :)

How good is the ProRes 4444 XQ codec? Can you still change exposure of the footage?

​No visible difference between ProRes and RAW on anything other than IMAX good. Even then, 99% of people wouldn't catch a thing. ProRes from the Alexa is flawless, better than Red Raw at high bitrates. Who knows why.

You can't change your ISO (digital gain) in prores, but in my experience Alexa footage grades much more flexibly than any Red footage and the log implementation is so far superior to Sony's and Canon's... you just move your gamma slider and it feels like you're moving your exposure.

The Alexa is the real deal. 

The only difference between RAW and ProRes 4444 XQ (or regular 4444) is ProRes maxes out at 12-bits and is debayered in camera. RAW was an interesting idea to offload expensive processing on desktop computers- its days are numbered. Compressed codecs will completely replace RAW. ARRI is now even providing tiny 50Mbit/s 422 MPEG2 to improve workflows.