Red Epic or not Red Epic

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I own two red one mxs - with the ssd model I haven't had any issues.  it does take 90 secs to boot up which sucks but it's pretty solid.  No fan noise issues like epic .  same chip as epic mx.  has 640 to 800 asa as base ASA so it's better in low light than red dragon with highlight filter.

With that said, it is kind of clunky and eats batteries pretty fast.  and the media is expensive and you have to have a lcd and all that stupid stuff.

Transcoding is a pain in the butt - but the image is really nice.

It's a toss up really.  It does really nice slo mo at 3k and even at 2k it looks very nice.  Fincher was quoted in American Cinematographer liking its look more than the Epic and it doesn't have fan issues.  The menu system is clunky.  But overall I still like it - I haven't sold them yet.

I'm not a fan of the C300 or C500. I love my Sony F35 and Sony F3s still.  I like the Sony F55 but still have a soft spot for the Sony F35 and F3 line - even though the f35 is as clunky as it gets :)

It's all a tough call.  I think try to borrow a friend's red one mx and mess around with it.  if you are in NYC you can borrow mine