Kowa 16-S

iconflyer

Hi,
I just bought Andrew's book on anamorphic shooting hoping to find some information on other Kowa anamorphic lens alternatives. Unfortunately I found nothing on the Kowa 16-S on the web or in the book, it seems all Kowa lenses are the same though. Anybody know what the difference is between the Kowa B&H/16-H vs the 16-S?

Regards

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I seem to remember stumbling across a guide that breaks down all of the Kowa Prominar variations sometime back. I can't seem to find it right now though. I don't remember much detail except that the 8Z and 16H are basically the same lens, and have a small-ish form factor that may make them most suitable for anamorphic video. I'll let you know if I can find it.

• 10 months later...

I too would love to see a breakdown of the differences between the Kowa Prominar lenses - I've just got a 16-A but most things refer to the 16-D or 16-H, and I wonder if there is any difference between them and the version I have. It seems to flare pretty much the same and it's a 2x but apart from that maybe they are fairly similar?

• 3 months later...

Long time reader, first time poster.

I can confirm the Kowa 16-S has a rear lens thread of 43 mm.

I too am amazed at relatively how little there is on anamorphic lenses given their popularity, but I did find this wiki that attempts to catalog many different lenses, but you'll notice it's somewhat lacking in details:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Anamorphic_Lenses

HTH

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Whosawwho said:

Hello!

I' m looking for Kowa 16-H or Kowa 2x anamorphic lens for Bell & Howell.
Could you tell me the different points of them?
Is Kowa 2x anamorphic lens for Bell & Howell newer model(minor changed model)?
Or is the diameter of rear lens bigger?

I can tell you B&H version's rear mount is 54mm thread, 16-H's is 50mm.  Coating is different too.  

So if mount on 52mm filter thread lens, 16-H is possible to mount closer.

8 hours ago, ken said:

I can tell you B&H version's rear mount is 54mm thread, 16-H's is 50mm.  Coating is different too.  

As Ken says, B&H has 54mm threads, Some 16-H/8Z have 50mm, some have 52 (from my experience).

Size of rear element and front element between the two are exactly the same.

Coatings can differ, but I've also seen 8Z/16-H with exact same coatings as the B&H. 

8Z/16H is easier to adapt in my opinion and the unpainted metal around the back is nicer (from a personal view).

BTW, which coating you guys like?

I owned 16h, Elmoscope-II and B&H.  Elmoscope-II and B&H have the same coating, like yellowish, and 16h like blue.  In 2 pictures, left is 16H, right is Elmoscope-II.    

coating1.jpg

coating2.jpg

I've had 2 x Elmoscope II, 2 x 8Z and 1 x B&H. 
One 8Z had Gold flares, one Blue flares. The Blue one flared the easiest of any lens I've owned.
Both Elmo Scopes were Gold flares, Both B&H were Gold flares. The Elmo IIs I had seemed to flare a bit easier than the B&H.

The one I kept and use the most now is an Elmo II, but I think it's really dependent on production factors as to which is the sharpest/ best. They all can be good.

10 hours ago, tweak said:

I've had 2 x Elmoscope II, 2 x 8Z and 1 x B&H. 
One 8Z had Gold flares, one Blue flares. The Blue one flared the easiest of any lens I've owned.
Both Elmo Scopes were Gold flares, Both B&H were Gold flares. The Elmo IIs I had seemed to flare a bit easier than the B&H.

The one I kept and use the most now is an Elmo II, but I think it's really dependent on production factors as to which is the sharpest/ best. They all can be good.

To me, I like Elmo II the most.  It is only metric system of all these type lenses.  So I can tell distance 10 meter more easily than than 30 ft.

Btw, looks like the gold flare is stronger than blue flare, right?

On 2016/6/15 at 8:31 PM, ken said:

Ken!

Thanks so much for your kindly reply!

OK,I try to look for B&H!

On 15 June 2016 at 9:57 PM, tweak said:

As Ken says, B&H has 54mm threads, Some 16-H/8Z have 50mm, some have 52 (from my experience).

Size of rear element and front element between the two are exactly the same.

Coatings can differ, but I've also seen 8Z/16-H with exact same coatings as the B&H. 

8Z/16H is easier to adapt in my opinion and the unpainted metal around the back is nicer (from a personal view).

Also read the second line I posted.

Just to settle any confusion: The Kowa for B&H was made under specific guidelines for B&H & the quality control had to be better. Now whether the one you buy is still in good condition is another thing - age, use etc...

Not to sure about the Elmo II manufacture, but it might fall into the same category as the B&H - however, the smaller rear element suggests it's just a re-branded Kowa.

Flares can be dependant on the coatings, but different light sources can also have an affect on the resulting colours of the flares.

Finally, the bigger the rear element the better - as it can be coupled with a wider range of taking lenses (this is why some people consider the Iscorama 54 to be a better buy than the 36 or 42 - flexibility of taking lenses).