Nikons progress in video 2015

dahlfors

Two interesting rumors for Nikon's cameras: 4k will be introduced to the Nikon 1 series of cameras, and the live view aperture crippling will be removed from D7200. According to nikonrumors D7200 will also feature 720p at 120 fps.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/02/18/nikon-d7200-announcement-before-march-13.aspx/

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/02/17/nikon-1-j5-mirrorless-camera-rumored-to-have-4k-video.aspx/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Personally I'm looking forward to the D7200. I'm hoping for a photo camera that is as at least as good as the Canon 7D MkII, as in: 10fps burst rate, great autofocus, fantastic dynamic range, durable and rugged body, basically a small version of their D4s. I also expect the video mode to be at least as good as the D5300 / D750 video mode (which is very good already). Being able to change the aperture in live view is a must (and they'd be stupid not to include it). It'd be nice to see a high-quality 120fps mode, flat picture profile, Zebra, Peaking etc. 

It's going to be a photo camera first and foremost, but if it offers good video capabilities like they've done in the past, then I'm sure people who shoot both video and photos will appreciate the camera. 

Mozim are you talking about the NX1?

​Haha, sort of. It'll be interesting to see how the D7200 compares to the NX1 for video and to the 7D MkII for photo. I'm hesitant to pick up a NX1 because I'm not ready to invest into the Samsung camera and lens system. Plus I shoot a lot of fast-paced sports stuff (videos and photos) and DSLRs are superior to Mirrorless cameras in that regard. I'm actually thinking about purchasing a NX1 for video purposes, but if I can get a camera that offers similar video capabilities (except for 4K, which I could do without) AND offer much better photo capabilities (for my purposes), then I'd much rather go with the D7200. 

By the way, is there any difference in terms of video quality (only) between D5300 and D7100? I'm not talking about things like a headphone jack on D7100, just talking image quality.

After a lot of research, I decided to buy D7100, mostly because of the larger viewfinder for stills and durable body (moisture and dust resistance).

The D5300 is a little cleaner in low light and in the shadows when dialled down flat.

Any reason you're not considering D750? Price?

​Yeah, price definitely. Although it will be a nice upgrade path in the future, right? :)

Also, D7100 has support for high speed sync flash speed which I used frequently with my last camera.

Here's a handy guide for Nikon DSLRs video functions: http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o/xFKjr_r3s2Xw1N_-UjTHd2PQf24/PDF/DSLR_Video_Features_Guide_en.pdf

The D5300 is a little cleaner in low light and in the shadows when dialled down flat.

Any reason you're not considering D750? Price?

​From your experience, how does then D5300 compare to the D750 in terms of video? I imagine the D5300 isn't very good at ISO 1600 or higher, but apart from that (and the fact that the D750 is full frame), is there a significant difference in terms of video quality between these 2?

I'd love a D7200 with 4K video and D750 like body. 4K probably is'nt going to happen but I'd trade my GH4 for a camera like that. I like the GH4 for video, not so much for stills. Still waiting for that perfect hybrid... (NX1 is probably pretty good for stills, but I prefer the native Nikon mount for stills/wide range of AF lenses).

4K in the 1 J5 wouldn't surprise me, but probably it will only have 30 fps... Which would make it silly anyway.

By the way, is there any difference in terms of video quality (only) between D5300 and D7100? I'm not talking about things like a headphone jack on D7100, just talking image quality.

After a lot of research, I decided to buy D7100, mostly because of the larger viewfinder for stills and durable body (moisture and dust resistance).

​The d5300 does 1080@60p the d7100 only does 60i

​The d5300 does 1080@60p the d7100 only does 60i

​Right, I'm aware of this. I also consider stills and in that area, D7100 offers some really cool features (better viewfinder, high speed sync with flashes), so I can live without 60p ;) 

Also, I found really great video shot with D7100. To be honest, it is really hard to find good footage from the camera that isn't so popular among filmmakers.

https://vimeo.com/113947519 

​I've shot tons of work projects with the 7100. I did rent a 5300 for a fast paced shoot and dedicated it to steadicam so I wouldn't have to be all on-off, rebalance, etc.

Through grading, effects, and editing, I really didn't get any sense of difference between the two. Very similar looks and the full 1080 60p of the little 5300 was handy. Kinda hated the aperture issues (I rented a newer wide to go with it, and then dumped the rental lens for a wide Nikkor zoom with ring). All my glass has rings - even when I shot video on Canon, I hated changing apertures on the body and ended up just using Nikkors on the EOS. But having to kick out of live view to change apertures was maddening.