who will be the first to support h265 on NX1?

Brian Luce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm also anxiously waiting for it, love the camera and I think it will be godlike when we get native editing. I've edited the files in Blender, and the 4K almost plays ~19 fps, and 1080p is very smooth on my system.

I'm wIlling to bet Premiere will be the first to support it, before AVID & Final Cut. The have the broadest codec support. 

Always remember, if you want something supported in your favorite NLE, your should contact them and say so. The more users they hear that want a feature, the more likely they are to implement it!

I Think Edius will as Premiere seems to always come out with what Edius has after Edius has it out for some time. A lot of AVID and FCP users have moved to Edius as more and more stations more to full Edius use.

I know they are talking about it as they have users that need it but for now you can edit the 4K in HQX and get real time playback till you add a lot of effects to it then it slows down. On the other side of things i was told you would need a very fast powerful system to handle it even if it was available most peoples systems would not be close to real time.

I think it would be easy for any of them to add support for it but for it to work and be usable that's another story.

Fast implementations of H.265 decoders are about 2x slower than H.264. If the same holds true for GPU based decoding, direct NLE support would provide real-time performance.

That said, I have a fairly powerful 12-Core MacPro with SSDs and a GTX 770 (modded for OSX: use on both OSX and Win7). When editing our short, "Delta", the GH4 4K footage did give Premiere Pro CC trouble. The problem was both the NVidia driver and PPro- even the mouse would lock up on slowdowns. We ultimately finished editing on the OSX side as slowdowns were less of an issue (and no lockups)). So even H.264 4K footage can be helped with transcoding to an intermediate codec such as ProRes or 422 10-bit ALL-I H.264. For simple edits with light grading, both H.264 and H.265 should be editable in real-time with recent computers and GPUs, provided the NLE includes good GPU acceleration.