KineMAX 6K specs and raw footage

Andrew Reid

I had a dell 4k monitor for a week and checked out the original file. It looked really nice. I did notice some heavy noise in the blacks like in the hair. Now viewing it on a dream color in HD all that noise is hidden and it really doesnt do it the image justice. Lots of nice detail I just hope that noise is handled well in this camera. 

• 3 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't think this camera will survive.  I think you'll get a similar resolution and color out of the blackmagic 4.6k ursa and the AJA upgrade - but cheaper and with pro res options as well and better support.  The whole 6k, 7k game is pointless.  Look at the Taylor Swift "bad blood" music video shot on the red weapon in 6k - does not look as good as anything shot on the Alexa which is 2k.  The motion looks weird on that.

I don't know - it's getting to that point I think - where no camera has the edge anymore - it's about options.

Poor guys - picked the wrong time to make a new camera.

There are so many other areas to make products in filmmaking right now - drone technology - easyrig alternatives, etc etc - why so many trying to go the camera route?  Just seems so expensive and risky in this day and age.  Especially now that Blackmagic and AJA have entered the ring.

I agree, I doubt I'll be able to see this as a better buy than the much cheaper URSA Mini 4.6K but I wish Kinefinity well and hope they keep on making more! As I eagerly look forward to what their next iteration is. 

I don't think this camera will survive.  I think you'll get a similar resolution and color out of the blackmagic 4.6k ursa and the AJA upgrade - but cheaper and with pro res options as well and better support.  The whole 6k, 7k game is pointless.  Look at the Taylor Swift "bad blood" music video shot on the red weapon in 6k - does not look as good as anything shot on the Alexa which is 2k.  The motion looks weird on that.

I don't know - it's getting to that point I think - where no camera has the edge anymore - it's about options.

Poor guys - picked the wrong time to make a new camera.

There are so many other areas to make products in filmmaking right now - drone technology - easyrig alternatives, etc etc - why so many trying to go the camera route?  Just seems so expensive and risky in this day and age.  Especially now that Blackmagic and AJA have entered the ring.

I don't think the difference from 4.6 to 6k is that negligible for a production environment. But even beyond resolution, the kinemax holds other advantages.

Records internally to third party SSDs.

Has more frame rate, resolution, and aspect ratio options.

Interchangeable mounts.

First party speed boosters for full frame look

Shoots useable 6400 iso vs. 1600 max.

I love the images I'm seeing from this camera. If kinefinity ends up having legitimate customer support, i could definitely see choosing it over blackmagic.

I don't think the difference from 4.6 to 6k is that negligible for a production environment. But even beyond resolution, the kinemax holds other advantages.

Interchangeable mounts.

I love the images I'm seeing from this camera. If kinefinity ends up having legitimate customer support, i could definitely see choosing it over blackmagic.

​Yeah the big one for me are interchangable mounts, SSD usage, and that 3K mode. I want a nikon mount for the glass I own, and the ability to switch to PL if I rent. Blackmagic does not offer that ability. 

5K Cion and Full Ursa do offer interchangeable mounts though.

​Full URSA is never an option for me due to it's size. Absolutely ridiculous unless you have a full crew.

I have considered the Cion for that reason. There are some incredible mounts available for the camera already http://www.ebay.com/itm/251852884794?rmvSB=true

5K Cion and Full Ursa do offer interchangeable mounts though.

Full Ursa is humongous/impractical for many situations. Has it been confirmed that the Cion is getting the new sensor? People say the old sensor has less than 10 stops of useable dynamic range!

Even then there are still the other advantages for the kinemax I mentioned. The proprietary SSDs for the Cion are very expensive!  And the base iso is 200. I still think it's an extremely ill conceived camera and I wouldn't pay $5000 for it when the ursa mini is coming out/the  kine mini/FS7 are already out.

Film Cyfrowy has posted a Kinemax 6K ISO Test and a Rolling Shutter Test:

ISO Test vimeo.com/129074598

Rolling shutter - vimeo.com/129076486

Looks like you get into unusable territory at 6400.

Rolling Shutter looks pretty terrible, but hopefully that can be corrected with Sport Mode (high speed shutter), though would love to know how much this will affect dynamic range, etc.

Is anyone able to answer these questions:

Is there a way to adjust audio levels when using the XLR audio inputs? What is the bit depth of audio recording?

Are audio levels displayed on the monitor or EVF?

Interchangeable mounts.

​I totally agree, the images coming out of the Kinemax are wonderfully cinematic and there are some big advantages over the URSA Mini. My major worries are the terrible rolling shutter and (as a Los Angeles based customer), lack of local support. 

I am hugely torn between this and the URSA Mini 4.6k. I have both cameras preordered and I have no idea which one to cancel, lol!

The URSA Mini lacks the high frame rates, but does have a global shutter, internal Pro Res 444 and Blackmagic is an established brand with a huge online community.

I'm just so torn.... help!

Dang it, the RS is terrible :(

Film Cyfrowy has posted a Kinemax 6K ISO Test and a Rolling Shutter Test:

ISO Test vimeo.com/129074598

Rolling shutter - vimeo.com/129076486

Looks like you get into unusable territory at 6400.

Rolling Shutter looks pretty terrible, but hopefully that can be corrected with Sport Mode (high speed shutter), though would love to know how much this will affect dynamic range, etc.

Is anyone able to answer these questions:

Is there a way to adjust audio levels when using the XLR audio inputs? What is the bit depth of audio recording?

Are audio levels displayed on the monitor or EVF?

The rolling shutter is an issue but one we've dealt with since the a7s and nx1.  Full readout 6K is no joke. Will be interested to see the sport mode. Made a big difference on the kine mini. I think the sport mode this time  is 4k instead of 2k. Looking forward to new tests. 

​I totally agree, the images coming out of the Kinemax are wonderfully cinematic and there are some big advantages over the URSA Mini. My major worries are the terrible rolling shutter and (as a Los Angeles based customer), lack of local support. 

I am hugely torn between this and the URSA Mini 4.6k. I have both cameras preordered and I have no idea which one to cancel, lol!

The URSA Mini lacks the high frame rates, but does have a global shutter, internal Pro Res 444 and Blackmagic is an established brand with a huge online community.

I'm just so torn.... help!

​Also, Kinefinity told me at NAB that internal ProRes is coming at some point later in the year. However, they're not yet sure if it will be a paid upgrade or if the cameras will need to be returned to China for hardware to be installed.