Samsung NX1 firmware v1.21 up now

ESGI Media

Thanks for the detailed response arellaTV. What is the difference between 1080p on the NX1 and UHD? And I'm assuming the lower number on that list for rolling shutter is better? 

You're welcome. ​They're two different resolutions. And yes, the lower the number on that list, the better.

1080p = 1920x1080. It's the standard called Full HD that we've used for years (TV screens, laptops, and more recently mobile phones - though some phones even have 2.5k screens now!).

UHD, or Ultra HD = 3840x2160. It's a much larger resolution - basically stack four 1080p images together into quadrants and you have UHD.

The picture below should help. New cameras like the Red Dragon can shoot in 6k. If you're new to videography, you'll soon recognize all of these terms if you scour the internet. You'll find that a greater resolution gives greater flexibility (to reframe/ stabilize) as well as a greater amount of detail and color information when supersampled. Consumer or pro-sumer cameras have just begun to tread these higher resolutions at such a low price within the last 1 and a half to 2 years. However, you'll also find that there are a lot more variables to a good image besides resolution that are just as important.

8K_UHD,_4K_SHD,_FHD_and_SD.svg.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a contact, will collect this feedback on the thread and send it.

​Hey Andrew, would love a Center Crop 4K mode on this camera.

Main problem for video at the moment for professionals is the Rolling Shutter in 4K mode (1080p is AMAZING). I'm assuming this is because of the way the image is being generated, 6.5K being down scaled in real time to 4K.

I think it would be great if we could have a mode that takes the center 4K off the sensor, avoiding the downscale and thus improving rolling shutter at the expense of a cropped image.

You'll still be able to have the current 4K video modes and their amazing image quality, but it would be great to have a mode like this when filming documentaries or fast action.

Okay Then:

Hopefully possible

- Clean 8-Bit 4:2:2 1080p output- Currently it only exports clean 4K, so we cannot use an external recorder with the excellent 1080p mode on the camera.

-Digital Punch in while filming/Adjustable in frame

-120 fps mode under the 1080 24p setting.

- Exposure Compensation in Manual Mode - Exposure compensation that just adjusts the ISO, controlled on rear control dial, for heavily backlit scenes when shooting weddings/docs. Just have it adjust nothing if its not set to Auto-ISO

- Ability to map Audio level to the control dials

-Digital Telephoto - Similar to ETC Mode on GH series, center crop of the sensor in 1080p.

-Ability to manually enter focal length so old lenses work with flashes

Long Shots

LOG

4K Anamorphic Mode - Center of Frame for 2X Anamorphics, would also hopefully help with rolling Shutter because it would not be downscaled.

6.5K Bursts at 24p (however long until the buffer maxes out)

240 fps 1080p Burst  (however long until the buffer maxes out)

Also if you can get a word in have them talk with Adobe about getting H265 working in Premiere Pro, they already bundle the camera with Lightroom, so they should have a dialog between them already. 

I have a contact, will collect this feedback on the thread and send it.

Andrew, is it possible to rename this topic? Or create a separate topic about NX1 feedback?  

Anyways, there are some improvements I'd like to see with the most important ones being on top... 
- improved 1080p quality
- proper manual focus mode on native Samsung lenses (they're fly-by-wire so they're not going to feel as good as lenses with a proper mechanical focus, but it must be possible to offer a linear focusing mode with a 90° or 180° focus throw!? As long as it allows for repeated focus pulls it's fine in my opinion and I know a lot of people who are hesitant to invest in Sony / Panasonic / Samsung lenses for video simply because of the non-repeatable focusing!)
- proper 120fps 1080p mode with sound
- cache record function, so as soon as you hit the movie trigger the last 4 or 8 seconds will be saved 
- tele mode / crop mode that uses a smaller part of the sensor, which should drastically reduce rolling shutter and result in a very detailed, downsampled 1080p image
- stepless ISO compensation when shooting in manual mode (not sure if it's already implemented)
- ability to switch between EVF and LCD screen while recording
- different zebra modes (not just 100% zebra)
- punch in focus assist WHILE recording (as it's found on the Sony A7s)
- implementation of h264 for the time being

Andrew, is it possible to rename this topic? Or create a separate topic about NX1 feedback?  

- proper manual focus mode on native Samsung lenses (they're fly-by-wire so they're not going to feel as good as lenses with a proper mechanical focus, but it must be possible to offer a linear focusing mode with a 90° or 180° focus throw!? As long as it allows for repeated focus pulls it's fine in my opinion and I know a lot of people who are hesitant to invest in Sony / Panasonic / Samsung lenses for video simply because of the non-repeatable focusing!)

​Wow, THIS. Have a MF setting in the menu : AUTO [current implementation], 90, 180, 270, 360 settings. You could change the focus throw to suite your taste. I would not hesitate to buy samsung lenses for video if this was a feature.

A collection of suggestions (NOT only from me) from a dead thread on dpr:

- different noise reduction settings for all ISO sensitivities, for JPG and video.

- the possibility to completely deactivate the (re-) focus function of the shutter button in every mode.

- to move the focusing aid field across the frame in conjunction with adapted manual lenses.

- to switch off the rear screen whilst remote controlled.

- level aid and histogram displayed at the same time

- a copyright info preset for the image files

- 12 bit / 14 bit selectable for all modes

- bracketing order selectable: 0,+,- ; -,0,+ ; +,0,- ; +,-,0 etc...

- timer in conjunction with bracketing

- slower fps selectable for burst (6,4)

- different levels of raw compression (lossless, lossy)

- selectable minimum ISO

- rectangular multi af area (not just square)

- level setting for zebra stripes (add a setting for 65-70 ire)

- allow real time live view during burst shooting and don't display slideshow of captured images instead

- allow for decoupling of the two displays (evf and rear display) so that when using evf for live view the rear display can be used, e.g., to review images or else

- Eye detect focus

- a backup for the settings before the firmware is updated.

- focus area movable when using manual lenses (for magnification)

- longer exposure time than 30s in every mode

- option of cropped 4k (instead of full readout) to reduce rs and increase dof

- option of lower resolution RAW files, Eg 16mp

- it would be nice if Samsung could implement a x1/5 speed mode for 1080p 24Hz.

- 240fps burst video for 1080

- AUTO mode should not be restricred to JPEG

- In manual focus mode I could set the rotation sensitivity and direction for each lens

- In focus aid mode I could set the manification rate at a 1-10x scale. Magnification should not happen in the centre of the frame, but I could set the centre of magnification anywhere on the frame

- colour of Focus peeking should not be limited to 3, but I could pick a coluour from a matrix by a touch.There should be an auto mode to focus peeking that analyses the colours and offers a high contrast colour automatically

- when playing back pictures that were taken by AUTO WB or by Manual WB, I would like to see the actual WB Kelvin figure of that picture

- bigger resolution on the remote screen.

- Ability to claibrate the display colours on the back screen (colour taken is correct when viewed at a calibrated monitor, but incorrectly appears on the back screen - ceratin pink-purples, aquamarine green-blues)

Great suggestions from everyone!

I would very much like to see them remove the crazy "hiss" sound (some sort of auto gain control feature?) when recording to internal and external microphone.

​Agree with this, the audio gain issue needs to be fixed. It's a significant problem with the camera for interview/doc work.

Another great to have feature. 2K Mode (2048x1080)

I propose a better 1080p mode.

4k provides excellent detail, but the extreme rolling shutter skew is an issue.

The NX1 is scanning 3545 lines in UHD mode, which takes 33ms.

1080p mode has a readout of less than 10ms, so it seems like the camera must be skipping 3 out of every 4 lines to achieve this. 

(This is under the assumption that scanning speed cannot be increased by missing out pixels horizontally.  I am free to be informed otherwise).

If this is in fact the case then this would mean a vertical resolution of 886 which is obviously then up-scaled to 1080.  This would account for the distinct reduction in detail in this mode and the distinct aliasing present on straight lines.

What I think would be useful is a halfway house:

Scan every other line for a vertical resolution of 1772 and then downscale that to 1080.

This would half rolling shutter but increase detail in 1080p mode.  And presumably aliasing would be minimal. (at least less than it currently is in 1080p)

(you may have realized that 3545/2 is 1772.5. Obviously you cant have half a pixel so you would have to just forget the 0.5.  This would result in a vertical stretch of just 0.028% which would be utterly imperceptible.

To make it sweeter, offer it in a H.264 option.  If not 10 bit then at least 4:2:2 50mbps.

Ok let me chime in.  This is what I would like to see in the updates to come.

1) I think banding is an issue. When pushed a little in post, banding shows its ugly face. I stopped shooting too flat so I don't have to push contrast so much in post.

2) Jello is an issue. Perhaps a 2k mode could help.

3) Moire and aliasing often visible. Especially when 4K is downscaled to HD

4) The recorded sound is really bad due to the auto gain. We need to be able to turn auto gain off. This is important. As for now the sound is hardly usable.

5) I would like to be able to stay in video standby mode at all times.

6) When playing back a clip, the camera "forgets" your latest settings (goes back to the saved settings). This is annoying.

Besides these issues I really love this camera :)