Samsung NX1 UHD4k vs 1080p - Rolling Shutter and Resolution Crash Test

Ed_David

This is a test shooting the Samsung NX1 in UHD mode 23.98 FPS and 1080p 23.98 FPS - both in PRO mode to see how it handles rolling shutter and resolution loss. My test chart was one of those magazine insert things that always fall out of your magazine when you are trying to read in the subway and someone comes up to you and says, "hey you dropped your thingy." and they want you to pick it up because it's littering but they say it like maybe you want to hold onto the magazine insert, to avoid confrontation. I wonder if the world still needs these magazine insert thingies? Maybe it's time to stop littering, magazine people? Actually I shouldn't be so hard on the magazine people, I love magazines and I need them to keep existing and if it requires them to have these annoying insert thingies, let them be. I need to accept other people for who they are. I am working on this. But anyway back to the test.

I transcoded using wondershare at -25 contrast - sorry guys I can’t figure out iffmpeg!

Shot at 800 ASA, 1/60 shutter, 23.98 FPS
Shot with Leica R 50mm f/1.4 lens at F stop 2.8. Focued on center text with zoom tool.
I lit it with some weird LED light so that it would flicker a lot and cause even more rolling shutter shenanigans - to see what's going on with the rolling shutter from a scientific perspective. But I'm not a scientist, I'm mostly just faking it till I make it.

Shot at Gamma DR with master per up +10 and contrast down -3.

Then I increased resolution 200% then 300% then 400%

Results - the rolling shutter is so much better in 1080p mode, and the loss of resolution is there - is it enough to bother me ? No, actually I’m not that into resolution anyway - I think rolling shutter is a much greater evil.

How does 1080p affect the image beyond rolling shutter and sharpness - highlight handling looks similar from this weak test. Color looks similar too. Less resolution and maybe edges less defined might make the image more organic and smoother.

Woo hoo
- thanks to EOSHD.com and DVXUser.com for all your work on this matter. Especially Andrew Reid for telling the world about this camera and Samuel H for his work on rolling shutter!

I think we can help make the world love the little Samsung NX1. The little engine that could. The outsider.

Next test - Sony A7S 4k to Odyssey 7q in Full frame mode vs Samsung NX1 in 1080p mode. Resolution and rolling shutter and dynamic range and highlight handling.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I doubt sensor readout speed can be fixed with firmware.

​Agreed. But not impossible -- if the clock generator is purely software driven, you potentially could overlock it at the expense of heat and battery life and get a slight improvement in performance.  It also depends if the sensor readout is at full performance or not.  If the memory or other CPU is the limiting factor then software improvements can work.

Because if 1080p is still reading the whole sensor and not line skipping the actual sensor read could be faster than what we're seeing right now.

​Agreed. But not impossible -- if the clock generator is purely software driven, you potentially could overlock it at the expense of heat and battery life and get a slight improvement in performance.  It also depends if the sensor readout is at full performance or not.  If the memory or other CPU is the limiting factor then software improvements can work.

Because if 1080p is still reading the whole sensor and not line skipping the actual sensor read could be faster than what we're seeing right now.

​I wonder if it would be possible to implement this on a buffer so as to not overheat the sensor. Could be 15-30 seconds (I really have no idea what would be feasible) and include and trigger like on the FS700 so you can set it to write the footage after you know you've captured what you need.

​I wonder if it would be possible to implement this on a buffer so as to not overheat the sensor. Could be 15-30 seconds (I really have no idea what would be feasible) and include and trigger like on the FS700 so you can set it to write the footage after you know you've captured what you need.

​Who knows.  If heating is the limiting factor *and* somehow magic lantern team (or equivalent) can do this, the best solution would probably be to do what the astrophotography enthusiasts do and do a complete retrofit.

http://www.centralds.net/cam/?p=7911

Example of a A7s that has been modded with active cooling and converted to a passive EF mount.  Cooling is typically needed for long-exposure astrophotography, but I could see its value in video as well.