What do you think of Nikons new marketing strategy for DSLR Video

cjwilliams0013

Nikon is going to be selling a boxed stater kit for people looking to get into DSLR Filming, D750 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit . I think its a good marketing idea, but the problem is Nikon is not close to being a leader in that portion of the industry. What are your thoughts? I would like to see some other companies venture into packages like this.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I read in a the article at No Film School that you can save about $800 dollars when you get the bundle over getting each items separately. I think its a great idea for beginners that don't know everything they would need, but there could be a drawback from an education standpoint of doing things incorrect or not knowing how to use items that comes with the research when buying.  

or someone who doesnt really know anything about video but came into some money and thought they want to be a filmmaker and this set will be everything they need to make great films.. ending up dissapointed 6 months later and selling everything again when they realise its not as easy as they thought :)

Lol, true that. 'Look ma, I'm a filmmaker!'

But if you run a business and for some reason you need like to put together some kind of training course, taping a few presentations and interviews. Perhaps you do a monthly interoffice video newsletter. I don't know... that sorta stuff. These businesses can then acquire such a kit and are then pretty much set on the gear part without having to do tons of research. They're still gonna need someone that kinda knows his or her way around a camera and editting... which is the tricky part. So, I agree, 'filmmaker kit' is a bit poorly chosen I feel like. But... if you're coming from photography (maybe you have a D600), have a bunch of Nikon lenses lying around (although probably just zoom lenses) and do want to do more with video, was looking at the D750 (almost typed 750D), you can get yourself 800 USD savings by getting the kit. Which looks like a pretty practical kit. I mean, I would prefer to handpick everything myself. But I can see how for some it could be interesting.

• Administrators

I could have made that box.

All I need is, erm... a box!

Buy the Ninja and the lenses, suddenly I am Nikon!

They must be so proud of themselves.

By the way the lenses are their cheapest primes in the whole Nikon line-up and they haven't got focus gears, but hey... filmmakers don't need more than that right!?

I actually think it's pretty cool to see Nikon offer a set like this. Sure it would've been cool to see better video lenses, but the focal lengths / f-stops are pretty useful for dabbling into video. And it's nice to see them include an external recorder and useful items such as a proper microphone, spare batteries and ND filters.... plus you save quite a bit of money instead of buying everything separately. 

It's not perfect but then again, if Canon was to put together a "Video kit", it would consist of a rebadged T2i and their cheapo 50mm f/1.8 and they'd charge $2000 for it. 

• Administrators

Maybe the size of the foam inserts fit into standard size cages, if I was planning to sell all my panasonic gear to switch brands, I certainly would be interested in this, it's 800 dollar profit and it's a kit that can get you started.

I doubt it would be an $800 profit after eBay fees, postage and instant 'used' depreciation value of the items in the kit, they are all old parts apart from the D750 itself.

It's going to take more than foam inserts to get people to switch from panasonic to nikon and that is coming from someone who loved the D750! Still got mine!