Samsung NX1 vs Canon C300

Andrew Reid

​It's hard to name one defining moment but I guess knowing that the camera will perform reliably without any software issues? Other cameras may not sound as appealing on paper but they work, and they work well. The NX1 certainly works well when it does but so far, I wouldn't really want to rely on it. 

Good point, I understand, but that could be said for a lot of cameras, as far as reliable software goes. I read just yesterday of a Sony FS7 issue, you can practically read someone experiencing some issue with whatever camera everyday. I think that's why a lot of people stick with Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, as you don't hear much about software glitches like you do with the newer entries. I'm about to find out if this NX1 is reliable this early spring with an all day shoot.   

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't understand this strange debate...

The NX1 is very reliable - considering software. And Samsung has been very reactive in correcting bugs - the most annoying I think being the exposure shift, which has been corrected. The only reason I could see a pro not trusting this camera would be because of the 420 8 bits + H265 - making it a very compress solution with limited grading possibilities. 

But I used this camera in Asia, America, south america, europe, on planes, with high temperatures differences, and it never failed me.

As to reliability, been using the camera for a documentary as a B-cam and occasionally A-cam. Don't want to jinx it it but so far no issues, it's performed consistently well at 4K for full 30 minute clips back to back. I have not seen any reports of failed recordings/unpredictable issues popping up. As neosushi says above they have also been on the ball so far for firmware, above and beyond even high end cameras. 

Now is it as reliable as a C100 recording to 2 cards? No it's not, but if you need that level of backup you can get those cameras which I think fall in a whole other category.

I don't think the Samsung is any less reliable than a 5D Mark 3 or GH4.

• 2 weeks later...

If a person does a Nikon F (or even Canon EF...  ) to Samsung NX adapter with built in good ND filters (with a zero ND setting too would be ideal) and major NLE's add H.265 support and Samsung makes it PAL/NTSC switchable then I'll find the NX1 incredibly hard to resist!

Samsung doesn't even need to do any more other major improvements (though simple things like removing the recording limit would be nice too...), just if those three things happened tomorrow I'd then get a NX1.

Ah my bad... I think I was thinking of some other camera :-/ Perhaps I had in mind the A7s? Which is only switchable in some models, but not all (such as the one sold in the USA can't).

Ah well, just got to hope for H.265 support now from major NLEs and built in variable ND adapters. As sadly neither Fotodiox or HolyManta make it for Samsung NX mount. 

As being able to rig up a Samsung NX1 together with "built in" variable ND filters would make it an incredible set up for run and gun work indoors/outdoors, such as weddings. Putting it that bit closer to being a decent competitor the video cameras of the world such as C100/AF100/FS700/FS7/C300/etc but at a much much lower price.

• 2 months later...

Brian, given your own eyes have moire, it's going to be there on the camera in some situations. Laws of physics, and all that.

When you look at the file to check for moire, make sure you look at it 1:1 because 4K material scaled to fit a 1080p is going to moire worse, it is completely at the mercy of the video player or NLE scaling method.

​Wait... and I am a newbie here so be nice.. If I shoot in 4k on the Nx1 and put it in the NLE with FCP X will the moire get worse!!!  I am going to be really upset :(    I thought downscaling it got rid of it but I am sure my math is wrong or something.  I just dont really ever see on my Gh4.  

​Wait... and I am a newbie here so be nice.. If I shoot in 4k on the Nx1 and put it in the NLE with FCP X will the moire get worse!!!  I am going to be really upset :(    I thought downscaling it got rid of it but I am sure my math is wrong or something.  I just dont really ever see on my Gh4.  

​Editing 4K in a NLE will always seem to have Moire because the programs do not use a very good downscaling algorithm, instead they try to maintain realtime playback. View at 100% or export a clip and view it to see the actual quality.