Samsung NX1 vs Canon C300

Andrew Reid

I am getting lovely results with Slog and Filmconvert pro 2(love the new options).

Personally I am very happy with the images coming from the A7s.

​Oh, I love the image of the a7s, no question, aside from not having internal 4k and probably less sharpness, I find it superior to the NX1. There's just so much other stuff that doesn't work for me as well as with the Samsung.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​If you are in Reykjavik send me a message. Happy to assist a fellow EOSHD forumist. :)

​Great, we will be in Reykjavik for a day before hitting the south coast. This is my 3rd visit now, I love the country like it is my home! We even spent a month there for our honeymoon, camping... (-2C in a tent was not very romantic, haha)

As much as I love those NX1 images thus far, comparing it to C300 seems a bit off. If I had to do doc / client work, I'd still go with the C300 as it has the things that make a production go smooth: built in ND's, XLR's, 4:2:2, SDI, ready to edit codec, etc. I could see myself using the NX1 for productions that are a bit more savvy, not run n gun or doc, perhaps more narrative, music video, etc world. They just seem like completely  different tools for different jobs. It's like comparing an ENG camera to an Alexa. Sure the Alexa takes great images but I wouldn't use it for news.

So I'm seriously considering this NX1. What do people do for lenses? Are EF mounts out of the question? Can it support a dumb EF mount? Love to know what people do for lens solutions, especially manual options. Also, has anyone started making a form fitted cage for it?

Thanks

​Like all Mirrorless cameras, you can adapt non-active mounts to the NX with ease.  No Leica M.

The 16-50/2-2.8 is just about as good as Canon 24-70/2.8L II (sharper in the center, worse at the edges).  Based upon average MTF at Popular Photography, the Samsung is even better. Autofocus and image stabilization is great for run-and-gun 4K shooting.

Similar to the difference between the Leica and Cooke (https://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2014/03/why-do-we-want-flat-glass/ ) the distortion in the S-lenses aren't horrible.

You can adapt Leica R, EF, Nikon F, Contax, etc.

One thing is overlooked when you adapt lenses, i too recently discovered this.

It seems native lenses benefit from corected chromatic aberations, distorsions and vigneting, i knew it happens for photos but never thought it can happen for video too, too much processing and stuff.

This is no small thing, if it happens when it's downsampled from 28mp  then the hit to resolution is minimal or non-existant.

So, adapted lenses start with a big disadvantage, no matter if the glass is top notch, in camera corected lenses come up better, sure there some exceptions like zeiss otus but that thing costs a car.

Look at me screwing up the quotes...

Ergonomic differences of the a7s to the 5dIII:

Horrible record button placement. Body is too small which causes problems like too small dials and buttons. Handling feels like handling a lens with a tiiny wiiny box, not good for handheld at all (not that the 5d is good there either but better). Changing framerates and NTSC/PAL switching is quite bad. NTSC/PAL needs a format (!!). Flipping lcd is good but it only really flips upwards. Downwards it doesn't go almost anywhere and when you add a plate to the little bottom of the camera, the lcd wont flip down at all. Can't take stills at the same time as movies, have to flip modes around.

One thing that I do like about the ergonomics of the a7s is that you can zoom in while shooting!

​I would be really interested in your thoughts on the Canon cameras after your 2nd shoot and when you've edited some of the footage. I currently use Panasonic cameras (GH3 and GX7 at the moment) to film weddings with most of my money invested in glass and support gear. I love them, for their discreet size and image quality for the money, and they've never let me down in over 50 weddings. However, I have been tempted by the new Canon C100 Mark II as it just does everything, including incredible lowlight which is the one thing I have to very careful of. Would be great to hear your thoughts after using them in anger and seeing the results. But yes... damned expensive.

​I'm not editing it. I was just one of the shooters on the team (of four) covering the wedding.
The first day I was shooting only on a tripod, the second day I needed to pick up a number of detail/artistic shots in the dining room. Ouch, then it really hit me how bloody heavy the C300 is. If you get a C300 you'll absolutely need to upgrade all your support gear to cope with the extra weight. And it isn't easy to use handheld (certainly not with a 70-200mm lens on it like I had yesterday). In the end I did a few shots with it, but then gave up as it is too cumbersome, and did the rest of my Sony A5100 and my lightweight monopod.

Then of course there is the factor of its price.....  absolutely insane I reckon. I'll happily use it if somebody else is providing it, but spend my own money on it? Nope!!

Not unless you have clients *specifically* requesting this particular camera model (C300) then I wouldn't be buying it. Though for some people that is the reality, as it is what their clients know and trust. So they'll be requesting this specifically and not a NX1. Thus a C300 will earn you money, and a NX1 will not. However I'm not in that situation (yet?) and neither are the vast majority of the forum users here either I bet, so this point in favour of the C300 is largely irrelevant.

As for low light, get yourself a T0.95 lens (I've got the SLR Magic 25mm which I use on my BMPCC) or a Nikon 50mm f/1.2 and a focal reducer. Or get yourself an A7s? Plus of course get lights. We had a bunch of lights at our disposable, with Dedolights being the ones we used the most for the wedding yesterday. Though we really had to scramble to get them moved from the speeches area to outside for the cake cutting and first dance, having an extra set already set up there would've helped immensely. Though these lights were used for the look they created (as the venue's lighting sucked) rather than because it simply was too dark, but if you're needing help in that area then these will benefit you in that way too.

As much as I love those NX1 images thus far, comparing it to C300 seems a bit off. If I had to do doc / client work, I'd still go with the C300 as it has the things that make a production go smooth: built in ND's, XLR's, 4:2:2, SDI, ready to edit codec, etc. I could see myself using the NX1 for productions that are a bit more savvy, not run n gun or doc, perhaps more narrative, music video, etc world. They just seem like completely  different tools for different jobs. It's like comparing an ENG camera to an Alexa. Sure the Alexa takes great images but I wouldn't use it for news.

​Yes, but that's the same as a DSLR or BMC workflow. I have a really great "video" camera with NDs, XLRs, the works. As far as beautiful footage goes, it can't touch even my lowly D7100 - there's some real magic and mojo that has a lot more to it than just sensor size. I've done events where the local small-market news sent a guy with a DSLR, and I watched him fumble with lenses and ND and on-camera mics and miss a ton of shots. For fast-paced, non-scripted stuff, yeah, it's the video camera and maybe a couple G3s for audio, if I can't hire a boom op. For sit down interviews or cool b-roll or something I want to be beautiful - DSLR (or BMC) wins every time vs. a smaller chip all-in-one. Neither system is optimal for all situations.

i just read on a rumor site that the gh4 will get V-log. And on an other site that the NX1 will get monthly firmware updates. If true then Samsung is very aggressive and will push other companies to release more firmware updates, cold be that the GH4 V-log profile is an answer to the aggressive move from Samsung.

Has some one a info about the SDK for the nx1 and how deep the acces to the hardware is or will be whit the SDK?

​Yes, but that's the same as a DSLR or BMC workflow. I have a really great "video" camera with NDs, XLRs, the works. As far as beautiful footage goes, it can't touch even my lowly D7100 - there's some real magic and mojo that has a lot more to it than just sensor size. I've done events where the local small-market news sent a guy with a DSLR, and I watched him fumble with lenses and ND and on-camera mics and miss a ton of shots. For fast-paced, non-scripted stuff, yeah, it's the video camera and maybe a couple G3s for audio, if I can't hire a boom op. For sit down interviews or cool b-roll or something I want to be beautiful - DSLR (or BMC) wins every time vs. a smaller chip all-in-one. Neither system is optimal for all situations.

​The C300 comes close to being optimal for all situations though, doesn't it? You can put a 24-70mm f/2.8 with image stabilization on it and shoot beautiful footage on the run. I doubt that your D7100 will produce as lovely images as a C300; it's the same sensor size and the C300 has better DR, better highlight roll off, more detailed image, less/no aliasing etc. Of course that comes at a price point that is arguably way over the top, but there's very few alternatives, if any.

If only magic lantern ppl started to work on a nx1....they could even unlock the rumored 6.5k video...great for taking stills from it, or the 240fps at 1080p.

​Magic Lantern is absolutely in talks with Samsung on this. They don't have a game plan jus yet AFAIK, but I can say with 100% certainty that the two parties are talking about it. Will Samsung give ML the keys to the Palace? I don't know. But for sure, they are talking. 

​Magic Lantern is absolutely in talks with Samsung on this. They don't have a game plan jus yet AFAIK, but I can say with 100% certainty that the two parties are talking about it. Will Samsung give ML the keys to the Palace? I don't know. But for sure, they are talking. 

​How would you know this and why would samsung agree to this ? magic lantern hacks features that are already there, features canon don't want to give or don't want to officially give because they can't guarantee it will work properly.

On the other hand, samsung want to give it all, i see no reason to employ others when they can do it in house.

​How would you know this and why would samsung agree to this ?

​There was a topic about this on the Magic Lantern forum. It was only visible to ML moderators and admins and I never got to see the content of the topic, but apparently Samsung contacted ML and they started talking. That's all I know. Maybe someone with a bit more in-depth knowledge can chime in. 

Speaking of in-depth knowledge... does anyone know if there's a EF smart adapter in the works? If I recall correctly, it's very difficult if not impossible physically to design a speedbooster in order to achieve a full frame FOV on the NX1. But what about a smart adapter that allows you to change the aperture and use the image stabilization of EF lenses? That'd certainly be fantastic. Anyone know if something like this is in the works?