Samsung NX1 vs Canon C300

Andrew Reid

This topic is about the NX1 compared to the Canon C300 in terms of resolution, sharpness, dynamic range and colour reproduction. No one's saying that this camera will automatically make your movies better. Personally I shoot a lot of fast-paced action / sports stuff in forests, so to me dynamic range and highlight rolloff, rolling shutter, slow motion etc. aren't just geeky technical aspects but have a huge impact on the quality of my videos. 

Is there any option to record sound when shooting 120fps? I understand that the camera doesn't record sound internally when shooting at 120fps (only up to 60fps I think?). Sound recording doesn't have to be internal as long as there's a way to sync it in post. Any ideas? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have made a quick test with the Gh4 and the NX1 in the same places and with the same grading method for those who are curious to see the IQ difference. 

GH4 + 12-35mm UHD (CINE V, sharpness -1, NR -5, no I-settings) :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywyvbs6mgw6ezdi/GH4.mp4?dl=0

NX1 + 16-50mm S UHD (Gamma DR, contrast -2, sharpness -10)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlb2debxnb4aaqr/NX1.mp4?dl=0

• Administrators

I used Gamma DR on default (but sharpness 0) and Gamma DR on -5 contrast with Master Black Level +10 in the test. Obviously on default it gives a very punchy image, Gamma DR is not LOG. I wouldn't go flatter than -5 contrast, better to just lift the black level if you want more dynamic range and a flatter image to grade.

I used Gamma DR on default (but sharpness 0) and Gamma DR on -5 contrast with Master Black Level +10 in the test. Obviously on default it gives a very punchy image, Gamma DR is not LOG. I wouldn't go flatter than -5 contrast, better to just lift the black level if you want more dynamic range and a flatter image to grade.

​Yes it's definitely not log.  I wonder if they didn't allow log because since it's 8 bit 4:2:0 codec they thought it would add too much noise to the image.  I spoke to the Samsung PR person about this - we'll see if they do include a log setting in a future firmware update.

Thx Andrew for the details.

As for the new fw, I'm positively surprised. For older cameras, samsung was very unresponsive and never listened to customers' suggestions.

Things seem to have radically changed with nx1. On dpr we compiled a competent list of suggestions. Let's hope samsung receives them somehow!

Here it is:

http://***URL removed***/forums/post/55198011

• Administrators

Samsung releases yet another NX1 firmware update 1.21 this morning. I've been accused of being a Samsung fan boy, which is ridiculous, but I will admit, I am definitely a fan of a company that not only listens, but acts upon it. You have to stop and wonder what they're going to do for an encore. 

​Something has changed at Samsung, they are listening well. Maybe they are even spying on us through their TVs!? Did anyone say they wanted Gamma DR whilst watching Game of Thrones with S-voice turned on!?

They are listening to their phone enthusiasts too.

This is the first time a big company has placed so much more emphasis on the feedback from power users rather than from general consumers and focus groups. And it will work to their advantage, massively.

I agree, it's almost eerie, perhaps you are right, listen in on customers via their own devices....brilliant, I'm glad I thought of that! I don't know what your take is, but I'm thinking Samsung had a meeting sometime ago, after looking at this market, and decided they could take a chuck of it by giving people what they want, or at the very least, giving it one hell of an effort. 

Exactly. As I said before, it's important to exploit the moment. And for the customers, it's important to send emails and feedbacks to samsung, in order to see improvements implemented in the nx1 now that it's a brand new product. They are listening and they seem to be happy if ppl send suggestions.

Used a C300 today for a wedding (was just one of three C100 the team was using to cover the wedding). And will be using the C300 again on another tomorrow.

I know others often go on raving about Canon, and their Cinema EOS range. And yes I'll agree with them. it is a very very nice camera. But I *still* think it is an absolutely crazy crazy expensive camera to get, is nuts! Only if you're working in an area where that specific camera is getting regularly requested does it make sense to get it, so only if you're already regularly renting it would it make sense to every buy it I reckon. (and that is past tense, way tougher choice now the FS7 is out for much less) Not the case for 99% of the people here on this forum I reckon, which makes it relatively irrelevant in that context.

Used a C300 today for a wedding (was just one of three C100 the team was using to cover the wedding). And will be using the C300 again on another tomorrow.

I know others often go on raving about Canon, and their Cinema EOS range. And yes I'll agree with them. it is a very very nice camera. But I *still* think it is an absolutely crazy crazy expensive camera to get, is nuts! Only if you're working in an area where that specific camera is getting regularly requested does it make sense to get it, so only if you're already regularly renting it would it make sense to every buy it I reckon. (and that is past tense, way tougher choice now the FS7 is out for much less) Not the case for 99% of the people here on this forum I reckon, which makes it relatively irrelevant in that context.

​I would be really interested in your thoughts on the Canon cameras after your 2nd shoot and when you've edited some of the footage. I currently use Panasonic cameras (GH3 and GX7 at the moment) to film weddings with most of my money invested in glass and support gear. I love them, for their discreet size and image quality for the money, and they've never let me down in over 50 weddings. However, I have been tempted by the new Canon C100 Mark II as it just does everything, including incredible lowlight which is the one thing I have to very careful of. Would be great to hear your thoughts after using them in anger and seeing the results. But yes... damned expensive.

• Administrators

Just just went to HPreston and after a long chat (where he pretty much confirmed the C300 mk II is on the way).... He said he could get me a C300 for £4500, 2nd hand.

If I were shooting weddings and stuff, i'd be snapping it up.

Even at £4500 its still a much worse image than a £1299 Samsung!