Samsung NX1 vs Canon C300

Andrew Reid

Very interesting to read about the 0-255 vs 16-235 over at dvxuser. Shooting in 16-235 might result in a higher dynamic range. The reason for this is that the transcoding software treats the footage as 0-235 footage and thus throws away all the detail in the highlights, leading to harsh clipping and lower DR. There are some files uploaded that compare the 16-235 footage to the 0-255 footage. I haven't checked it out yet (downloading right now) but it seems like the 16-235 footage does result in nicer imagines and a higher DR. 

Andrew: Any chance you could test this? 

​that Samuel H guy said it made no difference... But worth a try.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think i have shot more with the NX1 then most people at lest posted the most at this point in Vimeo and i see no problem with highlights any more then any other camera i see video shot with and i have shot outside in very bright sunlight a lot. the new Sony FS7 that has more blown out highlights then what i am getting with the NX1 in videos people are posting.. Also grading has a lot to do with it some of mine that has some highlights blone are from the grading i used..

I think if you gave a NX1 to a few guys shooting on assignment around the world we would then see some amazing footage coming in from the NX1. As of right now it seems almost no one shooting pro making money is using a NX1 as they are all ready invested in another brand so we are not seeing some of the great footage we see from othera cameras. But give it some time and i am sure this will turn around some.

Winter Sun is very nice looking. But even after downloading it, There is banding in the darker scenes. Around :07 in the door, 0:17 to the right of the branch and the fade out almost posterizes. I'm hoping this is a result of Albert not having Premiere set properly - the same banding issue Andrew wrote of not long ago.

Oh, btw, what was that comment Andrew made about what's happening with th GH4?

Winter Sun is very nice looking. But even after downloading it, There is banding in the darker scenes. Around :07 in the door, 0:17 to the right of the branch and the fade out almost posterizes. I'm hoping this is a result of Albert not having Premiere set properly - the same banding issue Andrew wrote of not long ago.

It's not just Premiere.  Transcoding into ProRes can cause that problem too.  #1 challenge with the NX1 is workflow.  The price/performance makes it a worthwhile effort.  TBH, the NX500 is going to be the better deal for 4K/UHD 24p

I have a question, what the hell are you guys all shooting that's so significant that you'll sit here and split hairs over DR, gamma, this, that, and the other thing? Are you producing a multi-million dollar blockbuster, or, rather is it something like some shots of a trash can, may be the sky and a few trees posted on Vimeo? You take one persons findings and opinion of a camera and suddenly you're all high ranking DP's of the world, trash talking this and that because it isn't 10 bit, it doesn't have enough DR, it doesn't compare to this camera or that camera. Who cares? Show me something you've done that's so significant that I should care. I'll be waiting!

There is banding in the darker scenes. Around :07 in the door, 0:17

Here's a broader question that a really-good-but-not-absolutely-perfect-camera, especially like the NX1, brings to my mind often:

Would these perceived limitations seriously affect one's ability to create compelling motion picture storytelling?  At what point do we say, "man, that image is good.  I can go make a movie with that."

In other words, I understand the desire to reach for the elusive last % of IQ, but if you feel a camera satisfies 95% of your needs, but you'd REALLY like to get to 97%, do you NOT do something because you can't have it?

After all, this is the low-budget ideal of film making here on this site.  Since that's the model the cameras talked about here are always going to be behind the curve compared to upper echelon equipment.

Is it a chicken/egg sort of thing?  I feel if one has a great idea for a film, they'll go get a camera that makes it happen.  Do some feel they need a great camera to realize their film ideas?

I have a question, what the hell are you guys all shooting that's so significant that you'll sit here and split hairs over DR, gamma, this, that, and the other thing? Are you producing a multi-million dollar blockbuster, or, rather is it something like some shots of a trash can, may be the sky and a few trees posted on Vimeo? You take one persons findings and opinion of a camera and suddenly you're all high ranking DP's of the world, trash talking this and that because it isn't 10 bit, it doesn't have enough DR, it doesn't compare to this camera or that camera. Who cares? Show me something you've done that's so significant that I should care. I'll be waiting!

​Funny thing is that even pro DPs don't care about half this stuff. That's why the C300 was (and is) so popular - it just works. DPs care about shooting, rather than the specs.

By the way, anyone else feeling that this website is starting to wander off its core audience? Who, besides professionals, can shoot with 1Dcs and C300s? Where's that old GH1/2 budget minded shooting gone? There are some seriously awesome cameras out there now, so much so that our (well, mine at least) shooting is defined more by features than absolute image quality. Can't there be more focus on the creative side of things, rather than tech specs? There's a lack of that kind of website at the moment, and EOSHD has the heritage and potential to fill it.

Cameras are just gadgets without creativity.

There's a lack of that kind of website at the moment, and EOSHD has the heritage and potential to fill it.

​Perhaps, but when it comes to cameras and many of the hobbyist/enthusiasts that use them, gear acquisition is always going to be more important than creating.  I don't think that sentiment is anything new; been around for more than a century.  

And those are the people most likely to fret about the latest and greatest and, in turn, help fulfill advertising.  And advertising is important on these sorts of websites.

After all, if you like really playing with tech stuff and you know you're not as good as other people making creative things (I'm figuratively looking in the mirror while typing this, btw) what else do you have to hang your hat on?  Ownership is then what tends to matter more. 

For what it's worth, I've also run into pros that dismiss more than capable cameras as "toys" simply because they're not in the upper tier of equipment.

By the way, anyone else feeling that this website is starting to wander off its core audience? Who, besides professionals, can shoot with 1Dcs and C300s? Where's that old GH1/2 budget minded shooting gone? There are some seriously awesome cameras out there now, so much so that our (well, mine at least) shooting is defined more by features than absolute image quality. Can't there be more focus on the creative side of things, rather than tech specs? There's a lack of that kind of website at the moment, and EOSHD has the heritage and potential to fill it.

Cameras are just gadgets without creativity.

So comparing the NX1 to the C300 and the 1DC isn't exactly what you are talking about? Specially having the 800$ NX500 in mind.

​Fuck off!   That is my response to that.

This is a gear head website, if we weren't interested in the minutiae of technical camera specifications and capabilities, then why would we be here?

​Funny thing is that even pro DPs don't care about half this stuff. That's why the C300 was (and is) so popular - it just works. DPs care about shooting, rather than the specs.

Pro DPs have Alexas.  They don't need to care about this stuff because the problem is solved.  The DPs who don't know or care about the difference between a camcorder and an Alexa or even a C300 and an Alexa are not worth their day rate.

Anybody with skill and talent can make any camera look awesome. A person without skill and talent will make an Alexa look like the worst camera ever. 

The skill and talent is knowing how to use your tools for the best creative results. All my stuff shot on RED is a bit crap because I've barely used it. My GH3 stuff is much better because I know the camera. 

My advice is that if you want to base your opinion of a camera on Vimeo content, don't. Rent it and shoot something with actual people, interesting locations and decent lighting. And lighting. And more lighting.