Samsung NX1 vs Canon C300

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

The Canon C300 (currently reduced to $11,500) was the $15,000 stalwart of the professional videographer, only recently did it have a compelling rival - the Sony FS7.

The Samsung NX1 is essentially a cutting edge 4K Super 35mm sensor in a mirrorless camera, recently given a video oriented firmware update which improves dynamic range and the available image profiles.

I was curious to see how the images from these cameras compared and I put my Canon 1D C into the mix as well.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

On a more serious note: Andrew, I'd love to read a write up about the new NX1 firmware and your opinion on it vs the GH4.

​Coming soon. New firmware is great! But wait till you see what is in store for the GH4 ;)

Good review.

After shooting with the NX1 from just before Xmass i have shot a lot and had many ups and downs with the camera but do feel at this point i could shoot a TV ready or any project with it.

The work flow is longer but the end result to me is worth it.

I do most of the converting now over night letting it run. Also for work flow i am using Edius to edit with and they have a special HQX file format i convert to now ( so i am not using Prores) that gives me much smaller files to work with and real time palyback when editing even after using some filters, At some point it will start to slow down when i add in a lot of filters effects and a title but it still plays just not at full speed.

I have found that i can trust the cameras auto focus after the last update its very good very much like a ENG camera now and using one of the image stabilization lens works very good for video as well. Still has a few quirts that need working out but over all i am loving it now.

To my eyes the NX1 4k image quality and details is much better looking then the new Sony FS7 i have yet to see a video showing any better for over all shooting. I was really looking at the FS7 but for the price i could get another NX1 or the new pocket version to be out soon, Buy a small remote helicopter camera rig, A gimble. Good lighting kit, better audio recording setup and mikes, More lens and more for the same price.

Guys, you just haven't pushed it enough, I can assure you, the NX1 has moire under the right stressor. It's not excessive, but it's there. I've produced it at 4k and UHD in various sharpness settings. I got it filming in a gym -- there were filters over some air vents, the moire was clearly there. 

Thanks for the write up Andrew! 

The NX1 seems to do a lot of things right, but isn't quite there... yet. I'd like to Samsung fixing the existing issues first before focusing on new features. 

Two questions about the NX1: 

How does the new 1080p Pro mode compare to other 1080p cameras?

How's the 4K rolling shutter compared to other cameras (A7s, GH4 etc)?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guys, you just haven't pushed it enough, I can assure you, the NX1 has moire under the right stressor. It's not excessive, but it's there. I've produced it at 4k and UHD in various sharpness settings. I got it filming in a gym -- there were filters over some air vents, the moire was clearly there. 

​It has a TINY TEENY bit of aliasing (not moire) on very specific patterns, and so does the c100, I've had aliasing once on that camera. The point is, many or even most cameras do show aliasing when taken to the extreme, but with these cameras we've reached where it doesn't show or matter in real life shooting. 

I'm loving the nx1 image, it's like a sharp version of the lovely canon/nikon image, and here it does look better than c300, except for rolling shutter.

I really don't see anything good in the Samsung image other than the resolution.

The DR is not even close. Half a stop? You have to be kidding. You are, perhaps subconsciously, trying to make the C300 footage look like the NX1, not the other way around.

Post both native files and we can grade it. I doubt the NX1 even has 10 stops.

• Administrators

Jimmy, the C300 image came off the card in Rec.709 then I adjusted the NX1 in-camera to match. Neither had any grading. So no, I didn't cripple the C300 to look like a NX1 as you suggested! I really don't see how you can not say the NX1 is a match for dynamic range judging from those shots. Barely half a stop in the bulb it is giving away. Come on dude. Wake up.