4k in 1080p premiere timeline, nesting and warp stabilizer confusion..

animan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

hmm, my conclusion is still whatever youre planning to do you should edit in 4K! :)

But im curious about other ppls experiences and im still curious about the filmconvert / magic bullet looks / compound blur render test as those 3 were ones i happened to notice worked dramatically faster for me in 4k, I also found some like twixtor had the same performance in both

• 3 months later...

I have a similar question. I have a timeline ttyat is 75% 4k footage, 25% HD (GH4 96fps). My destination is HD. Should I also work in a 4k timeline and scale up my 1080 or the opposite, work in 1080 and downscale the 4k?

Also, if anyone can clear up a workflow issue it would be a huge help. In the above project I have nested and warp stabalized various 4k clips. The edit is complete and now I need to send to Resolve to grade. When I export as is the nesting and scaling messes it up when they come back into Premiere—the 4k clips are scaled to 50% of 1080, not 50% of 4k.

Do I need to undo all speed, scaling, and warping in a duplicate timeline, send to Resolve, then reapply when to are back in Premiere?

I have a similar question. I have a timeline ttyat is 75% 4k footage, 25% HD (GH4 96fps). My destination is HD. Should I also work in a 4k timeline and scale up my 1080 or the opposite, work in 1080 and downscale the 4k?

Also, if anyone can clear up a workflow issue it would be a huge help. In the above project I have nested and warp stabalized various 4k clips. The edit is complete and now I need to send to Resolve to grade. When I export as is the nesting and scaling messes it up when they come back into Premiere—the 4k clips are scaled to 50% of 1080, not 50% of 4k.

Do I need to undo all speed, scaling, and warping in a duplicate timeline, send to Resolve, then reapply when to are back in Premiere?

​My advice, do not upscale your 1080p footage to 4K to later downscale it againg to HD for delivery. You will see noticeable loss of quality due to the first upscale. It is claearly stated in many threads on the Adobe forums that scaling is one of the most time consuming processes, so it is no surprise that working in a 4K timeline is faster and renders faster.

"​I was curious about this myself. I just did a test and it looks like zooming in 200% on a 4K timeline/rendering at 1080 is softer than keeping 4K footage 100% on a 1080 timeline."

Again, placing 4K footage in a 1080p timeline is doing a "natural" crop, interpreting pixel to pixel without any scaling, which means less processes to deal with and likely a better result (Premieres scaling is not bad, but still is a reinterpretation which may or may not introduce quality loss in the final footage). Also when scaling during delivery (final encoding) ticking "Render at maximum quality" is supposed to make that scaling more accurate. "Render at maximum depth" only concerns the usage of 10 bit or 12 bit colour space source material and downconverting it to 8 bit for delivery. 

Guys, you know the "use maximum render settins" option in Premiere output?

It will actually ADD sharpening even when you don't scale. So if your timeline is HD and you render out HD, it will still add sharpening noticeably. When you click that setting off, no sharpening is added. But then the scaling itself is a bit worse. Decisions, decisions.

If you don't do any scaling, I'd suggest never clicking that option on. If you do, keep it on.