Smallest 3-Axis Gimbal, under $700

andrgl

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Pretty cool- will it work with iOS too?

​Hmmm. Oddly enough there's only a third party app for iOS and it doesn't look that great:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gimbal-control/id857831508

I'm thinking a cheapo windows tablet could run the gimbal software alongside WIFI camera control.

One thing to consider is that the Nebula can support a maximum of 1000 grams. That said, the NX1 is 600 grams, the GH4 is 560 g and the A7S is 489 g. 

Plus with Windows, you could macro script bezier and s curves atop the basecam software with relative ease. 

Is 1000g max accurate? The Sony A7S with SEL18200 are 489g+524g=1013g. Curious how it behaves at or slightly over the limit.

I use iOS for mobile- would be more inclined to write something in Objective C,C++. For motion control could do any cubic curve or physics-based algorithm with feedback. It's Bluetooth so just need the spec for the device (working sample code would be helpful too- sometimes specs don't match implementations).

Is 1000g max accurate? The Sony A7S with SEL18200 are 489g+524g=1013g. Curious how it behaves at or slightly over the limit.

I use iOS for mobile- would be more inclined to write something in Objective C,C++. For motion control could do any cubic curve or physics-based algorithm with feedback. It's Bluetooth so just need the spec for the device (working sample code would be helpful too- sometimes specs don't match implementations).

​Just had a go balancing a bmpcc with metabones + tokina 11-16. I didn't have any luck. It might be possible. But it's probably not worth doing all that calibrating and adjusting. This thing balances small things under 2 lbs really well. The bigger, longer and heavier the camera and lens combination is, the trickier it gets to fly.

The EOS-M in my second video is kinda deceptive. It's not very big and with the kit lens weighs under 500 grams.

​Just had a go balancing a bmpcc with metabones + tokina 11-16. I didn't have any luck. It might be possible. But it's probably not worth doing all that calibrating and adjusting. This thing balances small things under 2 lbs really well. The bigger, longer and heavier the camera and lens combination is, the trickier it gets to fly.

The EOS-M in my second video is kinda deceptive. It's not very big and with the kit lens weighs under 500 grams.

​Makes sense for a machine-control-feedback loop. With low torque, relative to mass (inertia tensor of the 'body'), the control system can't react fast enough, constantly under- then over shooting the target (I wrote software to control a physics-based medical simulation trainer a few years ago for laparoscopy of the lower GI. Used pneumatics but similar control loop as with electromagnetic soutions).

At some point we'll have options to buy modular parts so we can custom build exactly what we need (already available to some extent for the bigger gimbals). My minimum combo would be the A7S with the 18200 lens- 1013 grams. I have a GH4 with the 12-35 F2.8 but wouldn't want to give up low light provided by the A7S. Would also be nice to be able to use the Canon 16-35 F2.8L or 24-105 F4L with the MB adapter on the A7S. Hopefully there will be more pistol grip sized gimbals with bigger motors soon. Something made out of carbon fiber composite would be pretty cool.

​Makes sense for a machine-control-feedback loop. With low torque, relative to mass (inertia tensor of the 'body'), the control system can't react fast enough, constantly under- then over shooting the target (I wrote software to control a physics-based medical simulation trainer a few years ago for laparoscopy of the lower GI. Used pneumatics but similar control loop as with electromagnetic soutions).

At some point we'll have options to buy modular parts so we can custom build exactly what we need (already available to some extent for the bigger gimbals). My minimum combo would be the A7S with the 18200 lens- 1013 grams. I have a GH4 with the 12-35 F2.8 but wouldn't want to give up low light provided by the A7S. Would also be nice to be able to use the Canon 16-35 F2.8L or 24-105 F4L with the MB adapter on the A7S. Hopefully there will be more pistol grip sized gimbals with bigger motors soon. Something made out of carbon fiber composite would be pretty cool.

​I'm a huge fan of zooms. I favor variable focal lengths over larger apertures. But for "micro" gimbals, zooms are not ideal. The weight of the optics moving when adjusted forces you to physically rebalance. It's a pain in the ass to have to center the weight, even with tool-less rigs. Plus you can substitute a prime with 2-4 more stops of light for around the same weight. Anyway. I hear what you're saying. I too wish this thing supported more weight. It'll be something when I can fly a telephoto on something like this.

That said. Even at version 1.0 this thing is incredible. I have a bunch of crapo c-mount lenses that look fantastic floating around. The longer the better. I have a 50mm f1.4, not sure what the crop factor of c-mounts is on the BMPCC but it must be 2 or more times.

lenses.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_sYsMiiF0

Fig Rig, seems like a good idea. 

I noticed in one of the review videos, one suggested waiting until after NAB to see what else may be offered at that time. This particular comment has me struggling. 

Andrew, would you please post something regarding this topic during that time (Vegas)... if you see something comparable with regard to price.

The DJI gymbal on my drone has really spoiled me and I am definitely in the market for something handheld. Price on this unit is noteworthy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_sYsMiiF0

Fig Rig, seems like a good idea. 

I noticed in one of the review videos, one suggested waiting until after NAB to see what else may be offered at that time. This particular comment has me struggling. 

Andrew, would you please post something regarding this topic during that time (Vegas)... if you see something comparable with regard to price.

The DJI gymbal on my drone has really spoiled me and I am definitely in the market for something handheld. Price on this unit is noteworthy.

​Dave Dugdale hinted that a name brand is about to launch a competing product at NAB. I can't remember where I saw that, may be BS but I believe it is highly likely.

Ultimately I suggest waiting. As good as Nebula is right now, the competition has a chance of improving on the design (32-bit instead of 8-bit, greater weight capacity, wider rotation, built-in joystick.) A warranty would be nice too. At the very least, it should drive cost down. I remember when a CAME-TV branded gimbal launched at just under $1000 USD. You can find the exact same product selling for under $600 now.

This was an impulse buy for me. I saw it, wanted it and bought it. Very little thought. It's exceeded my expectations and I plan on selling my xcam stabilizer. It's fun to tinker and I'd say nearly production level ready but the Nebula is not replacing my slider or tripod. So that's my warning, I recommend it for fun, no budget stuff, not for paid gigs.

Version 2.0 of this class of product is going to up-end video making.

Another thought: waiting for something to launch from NAB basically equates to the product shipping early to mid summer. I can't recall any smaller manufacturer launching in April and having it ready for sale simultaneously.

I like the organic flow of an electronicless steadi-/glidecam. With this... sometimes I have seen some very motorized corrections going on. I get the thing with steadi-/glidecams is, that you need to hire someone, or put in tons or practice, because it takes time to master and with this kind of thing it's more about calibration than flying it, which is great (and terrifying), because it does enable everyone to set it up and they're pretty much done, but to me it's not quite there yet and wouldn't jump on the bandwagon quite yet unless you feel like you have to be an early adaptor and like to tinker around. Not sure about the pistol grip type stabilizer either. I think because of the small form factor, the degree of stabilization is rather limited. I have also seen quite a bit of up- and down bouncing. Someone should come up with 4-axis stabilizers (I've seen some projects, but they all seem to have been abandoned), having some kind of shock absorber that naturally dampens up and down motions caused by walking. We've all seen the MOVI getting a lot of competition that got really affordable, real quick. Now, it won't get much cheaper for very specialized gear like this, that already comes from a Chinese manufacturer, but there's still room for quite a few alternatives and a sub 500 USD solution. So, I'm gonna wait this out just a little longer... I might even prefer just to go for something like this though:

I like the organic flow of a electronicless steadi-/glidecam. With this... sometimes I have seen some very motorized corrections going on. I get the thing with steadi-/glidecams is, that you need to hire someone, or put in tons or practice, because it takes time to master and with this kind of thing it's more about calibration than flying it, which is great (and terrifying), because it does enable everyone to set it up and they're pretty much done, but to me it's not quite there yet and wouldn't jump on the bandwagon quite yet unless you feel like you have to be an early adaptor and like to tinker around. Not sure about the pistol grip type stabilizer either. I think because of the small form factor, the degree of stabilization is rather limited. I have also seen quite a bit of up- and down bouncing. Someone should come up with 4-axis stabilizers (I've seen some projects, but they all seem to have been abandoned), having some kind of shock absorber that naturally dampens up and down motions caused by walking. We've all seen the MOVI getting a lot of competition that got really affordable, real quick. Now, it won't get much cheaper for very specialized gear like this, that already comes from a Chinese manufacturer, but there's still room for quite a few alternatives and a sub 500 USD solution. So, I'm gonna wait this out just a little longer... 

I agree with waiting and the floaty, gliding feeling achieved with stabilizers.

One application perhaps overlooked with this tiny form factor is for the most discreet, smallest and fastest alternative to a tripod/shoulder rig:

I could've: balanced the camera better, calibrated it, used a wider lens... but I wanted to see how sloppy and quick one could be with the Nebula and achieve a shake free image. That's pretty much the absolute worse you can do with the Nebula. Yes there was shake but I didn't calibrate it and it was easily fixed in post.

I'm surprised Andrew hasn't posted about this thing yet. Aside from racking focus, a gimbal in this form factor is the ultimate indie accessory.

I get the possible issues that people bring up, but have to say for most purposes, this seems to cover what I would need. I'm not doing theatrical productions, so the minor quibbles about the feeling of the motion in the picture, or the fact that it is 8-bit not 32-bit, as long as I see that really impressive footage could be made, that's really what's important for me. Maybe small pistol-grip form factor doesn't offer the ultimate in stabilizing, but the results seem darn good, and in many cases, having a gimbal like CAME or the other bigger ones, will be off putting to people, or impractical in certain locations. I do small time hobby-stuff, like filming for my local church. If I were to come with a full setup GIMBAL, or running a tripod with a matte box for that matter, would scare the church goers. It's already hard enough to get them act naturally with a gh3 with a prime lens. :) . Now that I have the LX100, I think this combo will be great and fairly unobtrusive.

That said, I will probably wait a few months to see what is coming - it IS a quickly moving field. In fact, I know a Chinese guy that has manufacturing capacity in China, and tried to convince him to work on one, about 18-20 months ago, but couldn't get him onboard. Oh well. I do have a prototype that I bought off ebay around that time (3 axis 32-bit), really rough around the edges, but will probably tinker with it until I feel strongly of buying one that is more polished. The Nebula 4000 is the exact form factor I would like. Maybe 200-300 grams capacity would be great for my heavier lenses, but, not bad as it is I think.