Canon 5DS takes a backwards step for video - severe rolling shutter, moire and lack of uncompressed HDMI

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Canon Professional Network have release detailed technical information on the 5DS and 5DS R. "The uncompressed HDMI output found on the 5D Mark III has not been included on either of the cameras as the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R are more prone to moiré and skewing, making them less suitable for high-end video production. A headphone socket, for monitoring audio, is not included. This is due to a lack of space inside the cameras, caused by the move to USB 3.0 connectivity."

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is the camera a lot of Canon users have been asking for. This camera plus the new 11-24 f4 lens (the widest rectilinear wideangle zoom ever) and the existing TS-E lenses (which might get an update) actually make Canon the best wideangle option out there (except maybe +30.000$ tecnical setups). Canon will stop loosing people to the Sony A7r and the nikon d8XX,regain a lot of users and parasite the medium format market, This camera is a winner.

While it will be popular with existing DSLR still shooters, I don't think PhaseOne has to worry about competition from Canon...the 50MP image from IQ250 really has a punch and low light performance that is unmatched. 

​The difference in low light between this camera and the IQ250 (or the much cheaper pentax 645z) will be half a stop at it's best.

Personally I can see the very use of this camera, its just not the case that every new 5D need to cater to Video / Cine users. After all there is loads of real photographers who need this kind of tools. Nikon with their D800E and now the D810 had set the benchmark. Even Pentax was there with their 645Z, and Sony with their A-7R. The lack of a body that can perform at that level of requirement for Photographic capture really put Canon at some disadvantage and this had been on for some time and wager Canon just need to answer to their customer regarding this.

Instead of bickering about what clearly a photographic oriented platform inability to advance on Cine & Video I would say its more a matter of real market / product / customer orientation and where they are heading. The Cine EOS series is clearly more likely to be a better option to go for and notably the EOS-1DC also. What matter as regard to Canon is their inability to price them accordingly.

When we have 4K even on the latest smartphone , there must be some form of down marketing going on for 4K and the DSLR FF or APS-C need to adopt. A very high pixel count sensor is just not the best of an idea ( unless its aiming for something like 8K ). The new slew of camera like the GH-4, E-M5-II and no less Sony's A-7 series had pretty much demonstrate that the market ( in term of hybrids ) are there but there is a somewhat difficult market for DSLR to fulfill. Notably even Nikon hints at FF mirrorless. So I would not be surprised to find the segmentation as stated by the author in the article, but its not going to be just segmentation in and among the DSLR, but take a look at EOS, EOS-M, and Cine-EOS as a total lineup and its more like it.

Are we going to have a more ( price vise ) consumer friendly Eos-1DC-II, and might be a hybrid Cine-EOS, and who is it to say we can't have a EOS-M 3C

I posted in another thread that this is a good thing -- not trying to build a jack-of-all-trades camera and splitting into more focused lines is a good thing.  This appeases the people that complain video is taking away from stills innovation and addresses a lot of photo related complaints about Canon - more MP, better AF, built in timelapse and so on.  Canon is getting hammered from all sides by more video oriented cameras from Sony, Samsung and Panasonic - and Nikon is even stepping its game up with the d750.  I'm betting Canon aligns its 5d lineup similar to Sony - the resolution monsters, a jack-of-all-trades (5d4) and a more video focused body (5dc with 4k and dual pixel AF).  Like Stu said, bad time to buy a camera with NAB around the corner.

hmmm i had said before that canons profits are based on printers...:unsure:

huge dissapointment. we could have had it all. 

maybe they will reveal something more at nab? is that all there is you think..

​Cameras still dominate revenue in the imaging division. Unlike many companies, Canon is turning a profit selling cameras, but its dwindling.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

This is aimed at stills photographers, not at videographers. Canon say that themselves. It's not a bad thing to have specialized cameras that perform excellently in their own respective fields, as the combination of a 50 million pixel sensor with a clean sharp downsample to 2mp video is something no manfucaturer is doing at the moment. The message is clear, super high resolution of 50+ mp doesn't work with great video, it's one or the other. A7r, D800/e/Pentax640z and all medium format cameras don't shoot good video, in fact the d810 is the only high mp camera that shoots acceptable video, but it's not 50mp and the video isn t that awesome, just has little aliasing compared to a7r/5d

I am bery happy with this release, phptograpjers can shut up now abput their billboard needs. Now Canon should focus on a normal do-it-all 5D IV with great video (4k or c100 1080p) and 24ish mp stills and great lowlight performance. Videographers should look past the 5ds and look forward for the 5D succcessor if you really want a Canon EF body. If not, get an a7s, or a gh4.

​Cameras still dominate revenue in the imaging division. Unlike many companies, Canon is turning a profit selling cameras, but its dwindling.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

​Canon is pimping out their most valuable property -- their brand for short term profits.  This can only last for so long until the general public stop buying their rebels.  The number of prosumer camera's that canon are selling (i.e., NOT REBELS) are down if I am not mistaken.  Once their brand is tarnish for the general population, canon will really be in trouble...  

I'm surprised they made no improvement to the DR (for stills or video). That's 7 years of no DR improvements in this line. Pretty disappointing.  Are people really going to pay that much more just for more MPs?

​My prediction is "no".  These two camera's will be a failure.  After all, professional photographers are losing their jobs left and right.  Who is going to buy theses camera's?  Unemployed professional photographers?  Probably not.  They don't have the $$$.  Maybe, Landscape people?  Sure.. How many of them exist in the world?  Not that many.  The sweet spot for the dslr/video/photo/mirrorless, etc market consists of soccer mom's and enthusiasts that will spend up to $3,000 for the "best camera".  The "best camera" must include include great video as defined by the gh4 and the a7s.  These two camera's does not fill the majority of their needs.

My take on this situation:

Occam's razor - Canon management does not know what they are doing...  They have the tech.  Just look at 1dc.  This also dove tails in another saying.  Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.