Pictures of two new Canon 750D and 760D 'rebels'

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Canon's next step on the entry level Rebel / XXXD series is about to arrive and it will be interesting to see the video specs now Panasonic are doing sub-$1000 entry level 4K with the LX100 and FZ1000.

This time Canon are releasing two models - the 750D and a 760D, with the difference seeming to be the addition of a 70D-like top LCD panel on the 760D.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Actually the movie mode on both models sits on the powerswitch by the looks of it.

760D looks quite sensible. The top LCD is a nice entry-level add-on. But if it's just a downsized 70D and not much more, with similar specs... not sure why one should bother. I do hope it has a new sensor, processing and consumer 4K. That's the only way I can see how they can reboot their 550D's success without having to be afraid of hurting their high-end lines. Because beside being APS-C crop, for photography I'm not expecting killer performance, it's probably not that built-to-withstand and for video it will probably have some shortcomings. I wouldn't really care that much for stills performance (fps, ISO12800 performance), etc and never killed a camera, not going out in the rain that much, so consumer level finish is fine enough for me as long as the image and especially video looks great. Perhaps with the Magic Lantern touch... who knows. And maybe one is directed at photographers and the other at hybrid shooting, having their own strengths.

I'm not leaning towards any particular brand... so they should feel free to convince me! Although I'm pretty true to small form factor and the M43 system, so they'll need to really bring it. Knowing Canon... it's probably nothing groundbreaking though. But I'll keep an open mind about it.

• Administrators

4k would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.  If it had good clean hd that would be something.

​Actually it wouldn't be something really! We already have that for very cheap. And 1080p H.264 is today's standard definition.

I actually think there is a lack of a highly detailed fully clean 1080p camera.  Whether its low detail, moire, aliasing, low bitrate codec, low dynamic range, bad rolling shutter, fixed pattern noise, or sharpening artefacts, it seems there's always something.  There is certainly no model I can think of that screams out as a no-brainer.    A cheap-ish canon that recorded 1080p H.264 with non of those flaws I think would be something.   4k's main selling point for me as an acquisition format is that it has enabled highly detailed HD output which was lacking.  If a perfect HD file was provided to start with it wouldn't really be needed for most people.  I watched the first half of From Dusk till Dawn on Netflix last week.  The file was 720p but it didn't matter at all.  Half of people wouldn't even notice it being SD, never mind 720p.

• Administrators

True Matt you do have a good point there. Low priced clean 1080p camera which does everything well.

GH2 seems as close as we ever got! But it wasn't APS-C, Super 35mm.

Nikon D5300 isn't far off, will be interesting to see if D5500 is an improvement.

A7S is nice but expensive and heavy rolling shutter.

Blackmagic lacks ergonomics, features, etc. but the Pocket remains a good buy.

Magic Lantern raw video is what we want, but the file sizes can be an issue.

So if the 760D does C100 quality video, I will be very happy, but also so surprised I might eat my 1D C.

Yeah, I find the A7s also has the highlight aliasing / high contrast outlining, which I don't like the look of.  It seems all sony's have it apart from raw on the fs700.  I also see somthing similar in the c100 mk2 footage, although apparently they have loads of sharpness settings so it may be possible to disable it. The pocket with a mosaic AA fliter and speed booster would be interesting.  But its a lot of ad-ons.  I'm also interested to see what kind of detail the NX1 has in HD now that the bitrate has improved.  So far it doesn't seem like there have been many good examples.  Of course the transcoding is a pain but at least the file sizes are small.    As for what I actually expect from canon: just more of the same. 

True Matt you do have a good point there. Low priced clean 1080p camera which does everything well.

GH2 seems as close as we ever got! But it wasn't APS-C, Super 35mm.

Nikon D5300 isn't far off, will be interesting to see if D5500 is an improvement.

A7S is nice but expensive and heavy rolling shutter.

Blackmagic lacks ergonomics, features, etc. but the Pocket remains a good buy.

Magic Lantern raw video is what we want, but the file sizes can be an issue.

So if the 760D does C100 quality video, I will be very happy, but also so surprised I might eat my 1D C.

​I agree here. 5Diii with ML RAW is the best choice if you want nice DR and color, and don't need 4k. There are some projects in which file sizes aren't such a problem and you can handle them. 

In a way I always hope that Canon can one day awake for their innovation hibernation and surprise me but that's not something I would ever bet on, it would be good to competition though.

In some interviews, Canon's executives talk about giving DSLR's video more attention now that competition stepped up but the difference between talking and doing seems quite large.

I would like to know what they are going to do with the EOS-M, the leaked images from the M3 shows a bit more serious attempt but still without the built-in EVF, so nothing aimed at high-end users apparently.

A safe guess would be to say that nothing new is going to happen with any of these new cameras. So I'm looking forward for a GH5, A7S MKII and E-M1 MK II next year. LOL.

750D:

• Enable 24.2MP CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC6 processor
  • Finder penta mirror. Field of view 95%, magnification 0.82 times, the eye point 19mm
  • AF 19-point cross-type. Center F2.8 corresponding dual cross
  • 7560-pixel RGB-IR photometry sensor. 63 zone TTL metering
  • ISO100-12800 (extended with 25600)
  • The shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/4000 seconds (Synchro 1/200 sec)
  • Continuous shooting 5 frames / sec.
  • LCD monitor 3 inches 1.04 million dots. Vari-Angle
  • Built-in guide number 12 flash
  • New hybrid CMOS AF III
  • Video Full HD 30fps
  • Wi-Fi · NFC
  • Remote operation by smartphone tablet
  • Battery LP-E17
  • The size of 131.9 x 100.7 x 77.8mm
  • Weight 555g (CPA criteria). 510g (body only)

760D:

• 24.2MP CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC6 processor
  • New development of 7560 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
  • AF 19 points
  • Hybrid CMOS AF III
  • Dynamic tracking continuous shooting in live view
  • Top LCD panel
  • Intelligent Viewfinder
  • Vari-angle LCD monitor
  • Wi-Fi · NFC
  • Remote control with smartphone and tablet
  • Creative modes including HDR movie

Via PhotoRumors & Digicame-Info

Before the inevitable "Canon sucks and have no innovation" fallout, it should be noted that the other camera producers who don't also have a vested interest in 4K tvs also do not offer consumer 4K. Nikon, Pentax, Olympus etc... 

As it stands, Canon are the only company that have internal cinematic 4K in a DSLR. They are innovative, it just comes at a cost. 

Anyway, the HDR mode sounds quite interesting, especially if the HD is properly resolved.

Who cares? Even if they have 4k (they won't....... Is anyone ACTUALLY expecting this?..............  lol) they will still be underspecced and underfeatured compared to the mirrorless competition and wrapped up in awful for video DSLR ergonomic..

>2015

>Needing to use a Z-finder

Nothx

Before the inevitable "Canon sucks and have no innovation" fallout, it should be noted that the other camera producers who don't also have a vested interest in 4K tvs also do not offer consumer 4K. Nikon, Pentax, Olympus etc... 

As it stands, Canon are the only company that have internal cinematic 4K in a DSLR. They are innovative, it just comes at a cost. 

Anyway, the HDR mode sounds quite interesting, especially if the HD is properly resolved.

​You simplified the bash on Canon way too much to sound like a simple nonsense from people and you got completely lost in the lack of context.

There is a big difference between a company that invested in video, delivered it and when people expected an evolution of that support they kind of abandoned that niche to jump into Cinema cameras than 3 companies that people don't have much expectation about their video - except now Olympus because their awesome 5-axis IBIS in video would be such a nice pair. This comparison basically ignores simple common ground and logic, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

And an "innovation that comes at a cost" is exactly the problem here, you fail again to put that into context since this is quite the opposite of they did before, they shared innovation with enthusiasts, prosumers and even professionals at an accessible cost, and suddenly if you wanted their support you had to expend 5x, 10x times more. So don't act like the reason people expect more innovation from Canon is something unjustifiable and simple nonsense.

Moreover, the main subject here is not the EOS-C line up, which may be criticized or not depending on what they deliver on their future cameras, but that's another matter. But I wouldn't simply blame all on Canon since if a lot of people still buy their cameras for video despite the lack of innovation they are not helping the case to make Canon do something about it so it's hard to take all their reasons. But anyway, there sure are reasons to bash on Canon for the lack of innovation indeed.

You might want to reread what I said.... I didn't say you shouldn't moan about Canon, waste your time however you want... I said you should point the same spotlight on Nikon and others. Nikon were the first to "invest in video" as you put it. 

I'll waste no more time on this topic. Don't like Canon? Go buy a camera you do like. 

"Also, a built-in HDR movie mode will record alternating exposures at 60 fps and combine them to generate a 30 fps movie."

So... it can actually shoot at 60fps, but they just refuse to give it to you straight? Say whut. I mean... this would've been a great answer to the D5300/D5500, right? Even without 4K. They're probably even using the same 24MP sensor? So it could be pretty good 1080p. But again... Canon chooses to cripple its cameras. What's up with that, Canon?

- edit: HDR Movie (29.97fps, 25fps, 1280 x 720) Ah. Well, that explains that. -_-"