The Panasonic GH3 - product suggestions for Panasonic

Andrew Reid

A "log" image profile or "flat" "cinestyle" whatever you want to call it.  Basically to give us access to all the dynamic range the sensor is capable of.  If it had this it could compete with the BMCC.  Put it in as a pro option within the menus so that average consumers won't have to deal with it.  But anyone who knows what they are doing will be able to activate it easily.  Make the bitrate selectable in this way too.  with a 50mbps option for both log profile and  rec.709 profile.

And tune the sensor for dynamic range in the highlights if this is possible.

I personally like the idea of a smaller camera that doesn't look like a dslr because it is less conspicuous.  an ad on battery grip thing like the omd but bigger to beef it up fully would be one solution.  but make sure the standard shutter button is angled and not on the top.  something like nex would also be good.  a descent grip but with a body slim enough to look like a consumer camera, with the smaller mft lenses would be a winner.

keep the viewfinder that sticks out.  If anything make the image bigger for better focusing.  but loose the pentaprism hump as it looks dslr like.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

META DATA! Why can't we record shutter, Ap., ISO, picture style etc as meta data either inside the AVCHD or as a sidecar.

Log style

Some type of Tethering like Canon and Nikon. (perhaps wifi)

HDRx like feature ( like RED and Magic Lantern)

Peaking

ISO 100?

Love in camera stabilization like Olympus, so our manual lenses will be covered.

1080-60p

USB follow focus. let us control the lens via a USB wheel.

Higher res LCD display.

Sound sound sound has always been a consistent weakness with dslr and ilc cameras etc. Here's are a couple ideas a little outside the box...and probably total fantasy, but would be great

1) Get rid of that sub-mini microphone jack. Really weenie! and put a 3.5 mm (This is the obvious improvement)
2) Integrate a mic input and audio out into or near the hot shoe while keeping the (new) 3.5 mm jack as well
3) Create an adapter/extender for the hotshoe that will have a 3.5 mm jack AND a headphone jack for monitoring with a cold shoe on top for a mic.

OR

4) A battery grip that serves as a battery grip and also plugs into an audio interface on the underside of the camera and allows 1 or 2 XLR inputs and a headphone jack.

Sort of a modular approach that would keep size down when you want to shoot light or naked (Not you. the camera.)

Also...peaking would be lovely. I shoot a lot of news and chaos with my GH2. The shimmery thing the screen does works well for focusing, but when there is chaos, bright sun, smoke from a fire or other distracting factors, peaking would still be helpful.

Example of chaos: http://youtu.be/M5Eb1ijszNg

1.). 47 bit colorspace ....f--k it. 
2.). 16.7k resolution.  ....with peaking. 
3.). Full-frame is for p---sies... 87 x 62.3.  Sans AA.
4.). Slim down the overall size.  The GH2 is way too big... 
5.). 1 megapixel.  (better low light.)
6.). Comes pre- hacked. 
7.). Detects farts.
8.). Economy friendly with a bio-diesel processor.
9.). 746 stops of dynamic range.  (can see into tomorrows shadows.)
10.). Battery Will power for 2 hours....after that it runs on fusion.
11.). 650$. (body only)

Oh, one other thing, stills-related:

When zooming in during playback, say, past 4x, the GH2's EVF and LCD images go soft: they're being filtered for smoothness, instead of showing a "nearest-neighbor" unfiltered upsampling. This makes it impossible to know if I've nailed focus on my stills. My Nikon and Canon DSLRs show me a much truer-to-life zoomed image; they may show jaggies on pixel boundaries when zoomed in, but they're MUCH better at showing me whether I've got the danged image in focus or not.

Please, give us a GH3 that shows us what we've really got in our images, not a consumer-oriented smooth-at-all-costs "pretty" playback zoom. At least, let us set a playback preference in the menu (off by default, to keep the casual shooters happy) that lets us turn off the smoothing.

Has anyone considered the terrifying possibility that the video may be no matter, or gasp, worse on the gh3?  What if Pana decided they gave away too much for too little? Or they might just make it unhackable.

I'm not trying to raise hell, i'm just wondering if anyone else considered these things a possibility?

I'd like to see the magnified focus assist and Ex Tele enabled when a monitor is plugged in. That would be huge for me.

I have been talking to Panasonic reps a lot lately and while they aren't letting me know any specs for the GH3, they have been saying that there will be extra measures to ensure that it won't be hackable.

So... unless the GH3 is 95mb/s or higher out of the box (which I doubt very much), I'll be holding off on this purchase until we can see if Vitaly can work his magic one more time.

[quote author=QuickHitRecord link=topic=865.msg6591#msg6591 date=1340821948]
So... unless the GH3 is 95mb/s or higher out of the box (which I doubt very much), I'll be holding off on this purchase until we can see if Vitaly can work his magic one more time.
[/quote]

I wonder if this could lead to a run on existing gh2s once they go out of production.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess, we're just expecting too much from the GH3.
I have only a few things, which would make this, almost perfect, Motion Picture Quality, Video Shooter, even better.
1. Flatter Profile and clean 8 bit 4-2-2 would be great. Right now, the contrast and sharpening is too much, so there is a limited amount of scope, for work on post. They should try and make it 12-14 Stops of Dynamic Range, for Video. Also, I feel,12 bit, quite frankly is over-rated. Good 8-bit, is almost as good, at a fraction of the cost.
2. Better battery. The GH2's battery was a joke. Something that should last atleast 3 hrs of video shoot, is perfect for the GH3. If it is too expensive, let people buy it, as a necessary accessory.
3. More lens options. I wish Panasonic would produce some nice pancake primes, at f1.2. We could avoid buying the over-priced Voigtlanders, Leicas and SLR Magics.
4. If Panasonic could make some nice accessories, starting with a Stabilizer, it would be perfect. Maybe, they could collaborate with Glidecam, for something within $150. That would be great.

I don't know