63.7 megapixel raw with the E-M5 II - and finally 24p at 77Mbit!

Andrew Reid

It has 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p in video mode. So it seems it's a global camera.

25p? Finally! I have been holding of a em5/1 purchase just because the non pal framerates, would love to be able to shoot handheld with my Olympus primes, now I just will wait a bit longer to see what they plan on doing with the EM1.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Judging from the TCSTV video it looked pretty soft though. Of course, it doesn't help that they were shooting the rest with the awesome FS7 and that Chris was on the controls, lol. But yeah, this does look like a winner in terms of video. Take your 3-axis gimbal system and leave it at home, because it has industry leading 5-axis IBIS. That means you can take your old vintage, cinema, or third party system lenses and get it stabilized time after time! (Not to say there isn't a place and time for a 3-axis gimbal system)

Since the E-M1 FW update only seems to mention an upgrade in burst shooting (was hoping for the new E-M5II's video functions on it as well)... I will go through some more video tests posted online and then probably will ditch the E-M1 in favor of the new E-M5II. Pretty sure they aren't rushed with pushing out an E-M1II. If anything, I think this was a statement that they are interested in giving a camera some more videofriendly functions, because their IBIS actually gives them an angle to start snooping away at that section of the market, which hadn't been acknowledged in the E-M1. The vari angle display finishes it off. Not sure if they will go bananas on the E-M1II though. They might just keep it for the mainly serious photographer audience... my feeling is they don't want their flagship known to be great for video. I think they don't mind making that change for the E-M5 line, making the E-M5II the hybrid flagship. They're even stating it...

"OM-D Movie that provides cinema-quality movies in hand-held shooting"

"To compensate for image instability, the OM-D E-M5 Mark II in-body 5-axis image stabilization system uses a VCM driver, which floats the image sensor with magnetic force. This construction makes it possible to shoot smooth, hand-held movies without a movie tripod, mini-jib, rails, or other specialized equipment."

"Advanced movie features for professional level movie making"

"Equipped with Multi Frame Rate, High Bit Rate, ALL-Intra shooting, and able to set time codes, professional level movie editing is possible."

"Focus Peaking is now available in 4 colors (black, white, red and yellow), and the intensity can be selected from low, normal and high, making focusing easier when shooting."

"Audio can also be recorded using an Olympus IC recorder equipped with linear PCM recording connected to the microphone jack for optimal audio levels and high quality audio recording. Because power supply settings to the external microphone can be turned on and off, users can use a high-end condenser microphone or dynamic microphone with a power supply."

"Camera grip HLD-8G (sold separately) with a headphone jack can be used to listen to recorded audio while shooting."

"Functions that go beyond flagship models"

~ http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2015a/nr150205em5mk2e.jsp

Interesting.

Yeah, the features are impressive... on paper, but what actually comes out of it, seems, well... even less than the E-M1 from what I've seen so far. Maybe not go for the swap after all. Sounded so promising. Perhaps we just need to see it in some more capable hands... keep them test videos coming. I hope someone managed to pull the maximum out of this little camera and show us what's really possible here.

as for the video i can already tell it's a disappointment. a lot of rolling shutter and moire :( they just made the codec with less compression!!!

​Moire and rolling shutter wouldn't be affected by a higher bitrate. You'd have the same stripey jello, just with fewer compression artifacts.

• Administrators

It doesn't have an OLPF so of course moire will be there.  I wouldn't subjectively describe it as "bad" but if it irritates you then you've gunna see it.

JB

​Cheers John.

How's the quality say compared to the GH3. That had a bit of moire. Nothing to severe though. Not as bad as the old E-M5.

I think the sensor bins pretty harshly to get the 16MP down to 1080p, which is the main source of moire. Used to think OLPF made a big difference but that's more true of the native res chips, like 1080p on FS100 or 4K on the F5.

I took my OLPF out of my 5D III once along with James Miller. Image actually got a bit better. Haha.

• Administrators

One feature I loved on the E-M1 was the instant punch in for crop mode, could activate it in the middle of a shot rather than stop and dive into the menus. Can you do that on the E-M5 II? Great for documentary style shooting when you want a quick FOV change with one prime. Speedy!!

Downloaded the John files (Curiosity is a great video, by the way). One improvement is visible: tree leaves don't became a blotchy mess, like the E-M5 - the bitrate helped a lot.

Some doubts about sharpness (because of some other test videos) and low light performance.

​There's definitely more detail than the EM5 or EM1, looks good.  The moire on the blue tiles in the courtyard is a little distracting.  But the 5-axis and a better bitrate is a pretty powerful combo.  That and the touchscreen AF and Olympus is almost there video-wise.

Downloaded the John files (Curiosity is a great video, by the way). One improvement is visible: tree leaves don't became a blotchy mess, like the E-M5 - the bitrate helped a lot.

Some doubts about sharpness (because of some other test videos) and low light performance.

​Sharpness...well..

It's 1920. So I'm not expecting a lot.  It's OK in low light.  I've shot 1250 and 1600.  The codec starts to get overwhelmed with noise at that point.

JB

• Administrators

Just downloaded the original from Vimeo. Loved the video John. Very nice colour, nice light. Codec definitely seems to hold onto colour better and subtle greens. Skin looked great, almost like the BMPCC. Resolution is decent for 1080p. On the close-ups couldn't wish for better. On some of the wider shots and finer details, there's a bit of jittery moire going on but it's miles better than my E-M1.

Think I will be getting one.

Fingers crossed for a 4K 5 axis E-M1 II though, at some point.

One of the main reasons I didn't get a em5 or em1 was they didn't have pal framerates, now the em5 does but thanks John's excellent article I"m finding out you can't change exposure using the dials while shooting, unless you dive into the touchscreen menu which makes it a dealbreaker to me, I just found out that you also couldn't change the exposure on the previous em5 while shooting video em5 but it was possible on the em1? If that is the case that might be a sign Olympus will be reserving that "privilege" for the em1 again, I do hope they add it to the em5, that's a basic function I couldn't do without, especially because I own a few Olympus lenses.