63.7 megapixel raw with the E-M5 II - and finally 24p at 77Mbit!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​If the sensor was 63.7MP and light had to be delivered to that, yes. But this is a whole different thing though. It's like HDR with pixels. But you're not taking multiple exposures, you shift the sensor to take multiple readouts making it more accurate. It's like a survey where you either ask 10 or 1000 people. You get a clearer picture of what is going on when you ask more. Pretty sure their idea of implementing this is solid.

​Diffraction doesn't care about the way the camera samples the image circle.

true but I never found them to put out the best video don't get me started on AVCHD

​But that's a different matter completely since the question was about availability, not quality. Sony's video wasn't great but they were not terrible either but they stepped up recently, the A6000 is pretty good, even with AVCHD.

​Diffraction doesn't care about the way the camera samples the image circle.

​Well, I think it's different, because basicly it's stitching multiple photos, but doing it in camera with a microshift only. To me that sounds like it should work, no?

Not that I care too much for this feature, because it's for shots where nothing in the frame or the camera itself should be moving obviously... but it could be cool the one or two times you'll play with that.

​Well, I think it's different, because basicly it's stitching multiple photos, but doing it in camera with a microshift only. To me that sounds like it should work, no?

Not that I care too much for this feature, because it's for shots where nothing in the frame or the camera itself should be moving obviously... but it could be cool the one or two times you'll play with that.

​You can have many static pixels, or less pixels and move them around on the plane. The idea is to sample as many points as possible, and these are just two different ways of sampling. But diffraction comes from the real image that is projected by the lens, it's a phisical limitation to effective resolution unrelated to the sensor.

It's a cool feature anyway, but it's not realstic to expect 63mp. What you do can expect is some very nice color if olympus comes up with good software.

​Well if you want usable video without a rig, the new E-M5ii will be the choice. 

I don't shoot professionally and a rig is not something I carry with me every day. Moreover, a rig does not make it easy to follow children around. Don't underestimate a perfectly usable video in a small run&gun camera. If you are a professional, think of it as a secondary camera which will get you shots that your main cam sitting on a rig will never be able to, most probably because it will not be with you all the time. 

This $700 gimbal does make it easy to follow children around - strapped an A7s on it. Probably weighs less than a kilo.​

This $700 gimbal does make it easy to follow children around - strapped an A7s on it. Probably weighs less than a kilo.​

​Don't get me wrong, the nebula is a great product but it is not as convenient as IBIS. Even though nebula s smaller than a shoulder rig, it still is something that you will have to carry around in a large bag and assemble it with the camera before you shoot. That is a great way to miss the moment with children. And as the video illustrates there is no way to focus it while in use so you are limited to a large DoF and only if the light/camera allows it.  

I wonder if the EM5ii does have pure HDMi out. It was rumoured to, but haven't seen anything lately.

Would this mean it could be hooked up to the Atoms Ninja Star? The Ninja Star only weighs 250gm.

You could have the Ninja Star connected up and still shoot hand held with the EM5ii and get ProRes and the other benefits.

Would this be possible?

​If the sensor was 63.7MP and light had to be delivered to that, yes. But this is a whole different thing though. It's like HDR with pixels. But you're not taking multiple exposures, you shift the sensor to take multiple readouts making it more accurate. It's like a survey where you either ask 10 or 1000 people. You get a clearer picture of what is going on when you ask more. Pretty sure their idea of implementing this is solid.

​so it basically would have the same result of that of an HDR image. doesn't sound like any different with different than an in-camera processed HDR image with the exception as you say that the exposure does not vary (although you can do that by stacking up multiple images of the same exposure). I think the only advantage or makes this different than the others, is that you can actually shot it in raw as well.  although I like the idea especially for those who needed a quick result and don't have time to process multiple files, it is unlikely that professionals would use this for HD/HR images. HDR processing method would still be the better choice.

this feature is good but it still wouldn't beat an image stack of atleast 5 images at 16MP  or 3 images at 24MP, considering this is a 4 stacked image.

Hmmmm, the GH3 had 72Mbps All-I and it was nothing to write home about. I found the IBP at 50Mbps to be better. The GH4's 1080p Intra is 200Mbps so why is Olympus' 24fps at 72Mbps exciting?

Not seeing it.

​its exciting because its a lot more than the 20 something it has now and GH3/4 dont have IBIS