63.7 megapixel raw with the E-M5 II - and finally 24p at 77Mbit!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Exactly!! Selling my E-M1.

Wish Olympus would release both their flagships at once, to save me the eBay fees time and time again ;)

How long will I be an E-M5 II owner before I am an E-M1 II 4K owner!?

Looking forward to it though, at least it is interesting, unlike a Canon!

E-M1 is still interesting for people that shoot stills with the older 4/3 glass, since it have PDAF focusing and this new E-M5 is only CDAF. And it has more controls and (I suspect) that the weather sealing still be better in the E-M1. But for movies (and for me), this new one is much more interesting.

The great question is moire and aliasing. Bigger bitrates are better, but if poorly implemented (like in the new A7 II), are useless. What worries me is that all the rumor sites says that the sensor in this new E-M5 is the same Sony sensor from the E-M5; for stills, it still (no pun intended) a very good sensor; but since it is somewhat old, I don't know if it is capable tu use full readout for video. The sensor code is IMX 109, but I could not find its datasheet anywhere.

If they use the E-M1 sensor without PDAF (which is a variant from the GX7 / GH4 sensor, with PDAF), would be amazing - this sensor is full readout and (yes) 4k capable.

No words about the HDMI output quality yet, too.

But the presence of a full tilt LCD (the "pure photography" people are complaining all over the Olympus forums about it) hints that Olympus is taking the video side seriously. 

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand their marketing strategy. "Let's give them a product they don't really want right now but later introduce the product that they really one" AKA E-M1 xx

Well this is gonna be a welcome upgrade over EM5 and EM1 but if I were to by an Olympus camera, I will wait for the EM-1 upgrade. 

You know it's Olympus here, right? I'm not going to wait for the day they will do everything perfect and include 4K...

If you think they'll be coming out with the E-M1 successor any day soon and will make it the ultimate camera... well I personally think they won't.

For video and hybrid shooters this is already the change they've been looking for in the E-M1. I'm with Andrew on this one.

Of course, I will hold my horsies for the time, at the same time the E-M1 FW Update will be announced and processing, components, etc are fairly similar, so they could in fact give the E-M1 a bunch of the features the E-M5II will sport, most importantly the various framerates and higher bitrate video... to keep it in the running a little longer.  And who knows, joke's on the naysayers (me included), perhaps the 'MOV 3840x2160 Fine' was legit and they were testing for a later release after all...

You know it's Olympus here, right? I'm not going to wait for the day they will do everything perfect and include 4K...

If you think they'll be coming out with the E-M1 successor any day soon and will make it the ultimate camera... well I personally think they won't.

For video and hybrid shooters this is already the change they've been looking for in the E-M1. I'm with Andrew on this one.

Of course, I will hold my horsies for the time, at the same time the E-M1 FW Update will be announced and processing, components, etc are fairly similar, so they could in fact give the E-M1 a bunch of the features the E-M5II will sport, most importantly the various framerates and higher bitrate video... to keep it in the running a little longer.  And who knows, joke's on the naysayers (me included), perhaps the 'MOV 3840x2160 Fine' was legit and they were testing for a later release after all...

​I don't actually think Oly will build a 4k camera anytime soon. I'll reserve judgement on the video in the EM5II until I see samples. They keep recycling the same tired sensor like Canon, add in higher bitrate video but no 60p, a couple more buttons to an already cramped body and little else - for a camera that will probably be $1100 at intro - brutal.  Its nice Olympus is actually making a bit of an effort in video (though not much compared to the GH4), but ultimately this update doesn't look like its going to make much of a splash as it offers few compelling reasons for people to upgrade or buy in lieu of a Panasonic. If you're invested in m43 and want good video get the GH4, if you want faster AF get the EM1 or the GH4 - both of which focus faster and more accurately than the EM5. Olympus needs a home run to slow the losses from its imaging division, sadly this isn't it.

Each camera has a certain things it does well. The GH2 was great and I just can't get myself to part with it. The GH4 takes it to a whole different level, love it. The BMPCC is really exciting once you get passed the issue of powering it. They're all great, but having a bunch of full manual lenses and the Veydra set coming up... IBIS is quite a valuable feature to have as well. Now, the E-M1 was the only one really nailing that, but as a hybrid shooter, living in a PAL region, wanting to use the camera for filming stuff as well, being stuck with 30p only... it's something you'd happily see getting changed. And I've been praying to several gods to make it happen. So when a E-M5II comes out that gives me that more video friendly vari-angle display and a more usable video mode with various framerates... that for me does it, it is what I had aspired the E-M1 to be for my personal use. Of course... it's still wait-and-see how this plays out. But I wouldn't mind getting rid of the E-M1 in favor of the E-M5II the way things are looking out right now.

If you're invested in m43 and want good video get the GH4, if you want faster AF get the EM1 or the GH4 - both of which focus faster and more accurately than the EM5. 

​Well if you want usable video without a rig, the new E-M5ii will be the choice. 

I don't shoot professionally and a rig is not something I carry with me every day. Moreover, a rig does not make it easy to follow children around. Don't underestimate a perfectly usable video in a small run&gun camera. If you are a professional, think of it as a secondary camera which will get you shots that your main cam sitting on a rig will never be able to, most probably because it will not be with you all the time. 

Each camera has a certain things it does well. The GH2 was great and I just can't get myself to part with it. The GH4 takes it to a whole different level, love it. The BMPCC is really exciting once you get passed the issue of powering it. They're all great, but having a bunch of full manual lenses and the Veydra set coming up... IBIS is quite a valuable feature to have as well. Now, the E-M1 was the only one really nailing that, but as a hybrid shooter, living in a PAL region, wanting to use the camera for filming stuff as well, being stuck with 30p only... it's something you'd happily see getting changed. And I've been praying to several gods to make it happen. So when a E-M5II comes out that gives me that more video friendly vari-angle display and a more usable video mode with various framerates... that for me does it, it is what I had aspired the E-M1 to be for my personal use. Of course... it's still wait-and-see how this plays out. But I wouldn't mind getting rid of the E-M1 in favor of the E-M5II the way things are looking out right now.

​I love the IBIS and with some effort the EM1 can deliver nice video especially for close up's (at least for my needs) But the Sony A7S took over the leading role and I am very happy with that..but ohh I would like to see a stronger codec and 24p on the EM1..The EM1 is smal, light and easy, great for traveling and playing second violin. In a few weeks I am on my way to Berlin, it would be nice to have some new firmware in the EM1. 

60MP on a m43 sensor is soooo past diffraction limit for most lenses. To get that kind of resolution they would need ultra sharp lenses @ f1.4

​If the sensor was 63.7MP and light had to be delivered to that, yes. But this is a whole different thing though. It's like HDR with pixels. But you're not taking multiple exposures, you shift the sensor to take multiple readouts making it more accurate. It's like a survey where you either ask 10 or 1000 people. You get a clearer picture of what is going on when you ask more. Pretty sure their idea of implementing this is solid.

Why are these camera manufacturers so afraid of 60fps 1080p on lower end cameras? Seems like only Samsung, Panasonic and just recently Nikon are the only ones that don't bend you over for wanting that. To me anyway I don't think I should have to pay $2000+ for buttery smooth video in full HD.

For the first time in a long time organic sensor's rumors surfaced again. Panasonic will manufacture and Fuji will provide the patents and technology - Panasonic might put the micro color splitter as well, right? It seems that a Micro4/3 version might come late 2015 or early 2016. The major issues engineers were dealing with were overheating and power consumption, did they solved it or maybe they had to make some concessions like to make a bigger batttery, a bigger body, etc. From some things I read, just like BSI sensors, organic sensors might be more efficient with higher pixel count but that would get in the way of video, so maybe they will try to keep a lower MP count, IDK.

Anyway, with the E-M5 MKII around the corner and finally with better video, 24p, etc. and Sony already selling 5-axis/3-axis IBIS on FF bodies I can only speculate that one of these days there will be a E-M1 MKII with further video improvements and an A7s with IBIS and possibly internal 4K or maybe an "A9" with such feats - since the A7 formfactor is not very good for heat dissipation, faster shutter, etc. since it's too small.

What will Panasonic do? Will the GH5 have IBIS as well? Will it have this organic sensor? The early 2016 could be a plausible date for a GH5. I'm not so sure about the organic sensor as at times, these tech are tested in smaller sensors even more if this higher pixel density is true but I do hope Panasonic can deliver something like the 5-Axis IBIS to form a perfect couple with Metabones Speedbooster. Sure, if Panasonic could really deliver the organic sensor and its high-sensitivity, it would be a great deal and game changer. Despite some nice features, the A7s is not optimal for video and the GH4 is a much more like a complete package, the main knock on the GH4 is its low-light capability and with the organic sensor that issue could be a non-issue.

The GH4 is known for great battery endurance but if the power consumption issue is true, I wonder how they are going to deal with that, as well as the overheating issue, I'm sure that Panasonic wouldn't want a GH5 to have poor battery performance and recording limitation due to overheating. Nonetheless, people might accept that if the sensitivity is greatly improved. Sony proved they could deliver a big FF sensor with IBIS, so can Panasonic deal with the overheating issue of organic sensor AND put an IBIS on it as well?

2016 will be interesting...

Why are these camera manufacturers so afraid of 60fps 1080p on lower end cameras? Seems like only Samsung, Panasonic and just recently Nikon are the only ones that don't bend you over for wanting that. To me anyway I don't think I should have to pay $2000+ for buttery smooth video in full HD.

​And Sony. 60p in a sub-$1000 camera has been available for years now.