Canon 5Ds does not feature 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

less than a third of Canons business is in cameras though so a dropping share price is not likely related to the features filmmakers are missing in their DSLRs

​It's a bit more than a third my friend!!

Canon have two main divisions, office and imaging.

They also do semiconductors and lithography machines.

But the camera sales are the largest market by volume by far.

Even as late as last year, 9 million Canon compact cameras were sold. This has now slowed to 7 mil.

Canon's interchangeable lens camera sales have also slowed, due to so few exciting new models being released. It's particularly interesting that they have slowed in Q4 2014 despite the 7D Mark II being released in that quarter and the key Christmas sales period.

Most recent report is here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/29/us-canon-results-idUSKBN0L10FG20150129?type=companyNews

according to wikipedia consumer business is 36.9% which includes cameras, calculators, scanners, home printers etc..

in any case i dont think big nasty multinational shareholder/ceo profits are an issue worth losing too much sleep over :) (unless youre ceo or shareholder i guess)

I'm just a newbie here but there is rumours that Canon are announcing the 750d this Friday with a 24mp sensor, could this be Sonys? IF so then could not this mean we get at least 1080p at the level of the A6000 or D5300? This would be at least enough for Canon until the 5dmk4 later this year which I am sure in my opinion will have 4k.

cheers

mike

I'm just a newbie here but there is rumours that Canon are announcing the 750d this Friday with a 24mp sensor, could this be Sonys? IF so then could not this mean we get at least 1080p at the level of the A6000 or D5300? This would be at least enough for Canon until the 5dmk4 later this year which I am sure in my opinion will have 4k.

cheers

mike

Regardless of whether is matches the quality of A6000 or D5300, it will no doubt cost at least $300-400 more than those cameras.

Given the 1DC price drop, it would appear Canon may be about to release a new 4K DSLR. Everyone on this forum would love to see a 4K 5D4(k). Having a high-end FF still camera combined with 4K and great color science in a single camera is very appealing. Especially if one has invested heavily in EF lenses. Sony and Panasonic have listened to us and given us great new cameras: the A7S and GH4. We have responded by buying them- lots of them. If Canon doesn't want our money, no sweat. The A7S II will likely have 4K internal, less rolling shutter, improved autofocus (perhaps with 'fancy pixels'), and improved color science (and possibly even IBIS).

Case in point: if Sony can make the F55 match Alexa with a software upgrade (perhaps only with LUTs), and when the F65 beats Alexa at the high end in color science, it's clear Sony can 'bring it' with color science to the consumer market if they want to. The A7S can already closely match the 5D3 (RAW) with a bit of work with camera set up and post adjustments. A software update can make color processing more foolproof (as in the case of Canon cameras: tuned to make skin tones look good with little effort).

While Sony's ergonomics and software GUI's are market trailing (I'm sure some folks at Apple are looking for new challenges and career opportunities!), their sensors are market leading. It would be cool to see the Alexa 65 compared to the F65 (65 vs 65). I was curious why Netflix went with the F55 for Marco Polo, which didn't look very good in the first episode but got better looking as time went on. I understand different teams were used, perhaps Sony provided support as well. Why would they use the F55 over the Alexa? With budgets shrinking, it appears to be more value for the dollar.

Once it was clear the F55 could match the Alexa in a skin tone test: http://www.hingsberg.com/index.php/2014/06/f55-matches-arri-alexas-color/, and the F65 can exceed the Alexa in overall color (Oblivion & Lucy), it became clear Sony is in the position to take the lead from Canon and ARRI. Rumors of Canon using Sony sensors for the 5Dx, if true, would further the trend. Nikon is already using Sony sensors. Black Magic and Red also provide interesting options. For the types of shoots most of us do, a highly compressed, high quality codec which can be edited in real-time is ideal. Again, Sony leads here with 422 10-bit XAVC and 420 8-bit XAVC-S. These are simply marketing names for different flavors of the H.264 standard- nothing proprietary. H.264 also supports 444 up to 14-bits (the Hi444P spec). With high-quality hardware debayering in-camera (or a non-Bayer sensor) and Hi444p (perhaps even just Hi422P), there's no practical advantage to RAW or ProRes for most applications using modern computers. GPU power keeps increasing- any advantage to ProRes in terms of decoding is rapidly going away (ProRes is a marketing name for 10/12-bit 422/444 MJPEG).

Someday we'll have great 'all around cameras'. For now, grab the 5Dx or Nikon Dxxx for stills (even the A7S for extreme low light), and any of a number of great cameras for video.

It's a stills camera, it's focusing on stills. The fact that it has video at all is merely an afterthought.

You don't buy a screwdriver then complain that it sucks as a hammer.

​In an electronic age, that's like saying cell phones should concentrate on only making good phone calls, you don't buy a cell phone to have a good readable screen, or to check your email, or send text messages, or browse the web etc.

• 3 weeks later...

It is valid as not many people buy these huge panels. Maybe in the states it is different, in UK, people stick to around 42", as the house rooms are just not big enough to accommodate a huge screen.

No one is saying don't shoot at 4K, I am..... Just don't expect every camera maker to jump on it quite as hard as Sony, Panasonic and Samsung, who have a vested interest in pushing this tech.

​In North America anything under 55 inches is in the bargain basement cheap category. The standard sizes for mid level panels is 55 - 65 inches.