Canon 5Ds does not feature 4K video

Andrew Reid

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I believe Canon, with their huge staff, is focused on selling in all segments, for videographers + photographers. They want to make sales on the 200$ market eos m, 500$ 700d, 1000$ 70D, 1500$ 6D, 1800$ 7D, 2800$ 5D, 4000$ c100, 5000$ c100 mkii, 6000$ 1dx, 8000$ 1dc,

That what they want, their philosophy, but whether they are able to achieve it or not is another matter.

I don't believe they are pushing anyone up or down, or creating "barriers" they are delivering a product at every price point and marketing all of them heavily for both videographers and photographers...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

If they are marketing a camera at every price point for videographers they need to compete on basic specs.

You can't compete in the 4K market with a line skipping 1080p camera.

People have 5K iMacs now, $500 4K monitors and $2000 TVs yet Canon doesn't have a camera for them under $8k. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Canon wont jump on consumer 4K any faster than they would have consumer 3D a few years back.

Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have a vested interest in 4K screens, so will push out consumer 4K cameras to try and sell TVs.... Canon don't need to. They can sit back and see if anyone cares about 4K, outside of our tiny niche.

My father in law has a 4K tv, I dont see him scrambling around for a 4K camcorder.... 4K was just something included in his new tv, much like 3D was before it. 

• Administrators

But there's already a clear and present demand for 4K, it's not really a niche thing. Otherwise there wouldn't be a plethora of 4K TVs on our high streets, they'd still be $30,000 and only sold in high end stores. Now they are common as muck. And the iMac 5K - you can't get more omnipresent than that.

You're right that Canon are not a consumer electronics giant and they have no agenda over format wars, they will jump on the format once it is established.

But it's so short sighted not to jump on consumer 4K at the earliest opportunity, to give yourself a head start.

The irony is, Canon are giving stills photographers 8K!! Who asked for that!? If there is the demand for that kind of resolution from the stills market, then surely there is also demand for 4K in the video market.

As a corporate, docu and indie filmmaker I jumped on the 5D wagon (coming from canon A1) right when the revolution started and was very happy. I loved Canon. But when it was time to come with something new Canon said pretty clear they don't want to serve us low budget filmmakers. And I listened by starting to avoid canon like the plague. There are plenty company's who offer more and for less.  I now roll FS700, A7s, BMPCC. And if I had the money for C300/C500 I would go RED. 

Many fellow filmmakers kept using canon like 5D m3, 60D, C100, C300. But I always felt they where ripped of when I compared the spec's and image from my sony and BMC. Canon will never be it for me again.

But there's already a clear and present demand for 4K, it's not really a niche thing. Otherwise there wouldn't be a plethora of 4K TVs on our high streets, they'd still be $30,000 and only sold in high end stores.

​4K ist just the new selling point in TV as it was 3D before. Most people don't care a lot in picture Quality as they still don't complain about TV Program in < Full HD.

And most people as well are sitting so far away for their TV they won't notice a difference to 4k, and I guess FullHD neither.

Yes, this is the thing..... 4K is now practically being "given away" with any new TV. Most people don't know about it or care about it, but when it doesn't influence the price, they are happy to take it (just like 3D before it).

There was no big rush for consumer 3D cameras and will not be a huge rush for consumer 4K camreas (aside from mobile). Who is out there shooting their family videos on a camcorder, these days? Mobile rules the segment.

Anyway, to me, this 50mpx camera signals that Canon will start releasing a few niche cameras, so it could be good news. I can see an a7S type Canon camera on the roadmap.

​4K ist just the new selling point in TV as it was 3D before. Most people don't care a lot in picture Quality as they still don't complain about TV Program in < Full HD.

And most people as well are sitting so far away for their TV they won't notice a difference to 4k, and I guess FullHD neither.

​People all say this, and it might have been true years ago when the standard was 40 inches (and even then you could easily tell the difference between broadcast and BluRay), but now TV panels are much larger than that. If you have a large TV screen, and native output, 4K blows away HD.

Get with the times, it isn't 2006 any more. Technology has moved on. Stop dredging up arguments that are no longer valid.

It is valid as not many people buy these huge panels. Maybe in the states it is different, in UK, people stick to around 42", as the house rooms are just not big enough to accommodate a huge screen.

No one is saying don't shoot at 4K, I am..... Just don't expect every camera maker to jump on it quite as hard as Sony, Panasonic and Samsung, who have a vested interest in pushing this tech.

• Administrators

Its a calculated risk for Canon to react this way for whatever reason, and it may turn out to be a risky move that will be a major miss-step for them.  

It seem that making printers and lenses and etc, as well as the best darn still cameras out there is not enough right now -- ?

canon stock.jpg

​That halving of their share price since 2011 is all down to lack of innovation, yet Canon will pin the blame on the economy, currency, earthquakes, product range reaching 'maturity', and so on...

They are heading towards true dinosaur status in the imaging industry, and so are Nikon.

They will also blame mobile.... and, to an extent, that would be a correct thing to blame.

People simply don't want to carry a phone , camera and camcorder, especially now the phone cameras are good enough.

Canon will have to pay more attention to niche markets, which could be a good thing for us. I think we might see a slightly braver Canon, over the next few years. They will never be as aggressive as Sony, but they will evolve.

Well, I am a photographer and i personally dont need 4k Video. But what im looking forward to is, seeing 8k in Stills.

The Pentax showed some pretty amzing stuff and hasselblad, phaseOne are already quite long on that train....BUT

i dont see many Lenses matching this kind of resolution....so im waiting for some testresults, namly if the stills do look in fact better then

upscaled stills from lets say 5dmk3 etc.

What is really strange atm is the max iso 6400/12800.

I was really looking forward to not needing an oncamera flash  when im shooting partys etc.

Are there any infos on that? Is the DR that high that you just dont need any higher isos?

Just wandering. Any1 else having the same thouhts on that?

i would have bought 3 of these 50MP cameras if it had 4K.  now thanks canon, i will buy ZERO.  and if the 5D4 comes out with 4K and does not top the 1DC or A7s, and has no swivel screen or focus peaking (although this is the 5D "video" model version), i will buy zero as well.  too bad their stupid cinema department is holding down everything in limiting the DSLR products.  if they would bring all features into ONE camera product, they could sell record numbers and be the kings again like in 2008.  now it seems they will lose more and more market share because nobdy needs a canon camera body anymore.  for a pure 50MP photo camera i'd buy medium format.

• Administrators

They will also blame mobile.... and, to an extent, that would be a correct thing to blame.

​It is for the low end consumer segment but not the 5D / 1D range, they're not effected by iPhones in the slightest, and if they are then it's curtains for Canon.

You were saying that the drop in the shares is down to a lack of innovation though... It is at least as much to do with the rise of mobile photography.

Anyway, let's hope this 50mpx camera is a sign that Canon will now start making a few cameras for niche markets.