ETTR: The Ultimate Exposure Technique?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

On 10/7/2019 at 2:16 PM, helium said:

Try substantially over-exposing BMPCC 4K footage (but shy of clipping), since that camera is party to this discussion.  Observe color and contrast-- as well as highlight roll-off, and the lack of adjustability of highlights.  How you concluded that it's "a non-destructive shifting of data" I don't know.  Sensors don't work that way.

I wondered how @helium 's comment on the S1H thread would fit in with this discussion.  I'm not trying to call them out by quoting this, just value the breadth of opinion (I'm still making mine up!). @helium

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/2/2019 at 7:30 AM, tupp said:

ETTR is suitable for raw and uncompressed formats.

Just be careful going by a histogram alone.  If you have zebras, set them in the range of 95%-100%, and use them to determine your upper limit and to choose which parts of the image may or may not blow-out.  Waveform is also good for finding the upper limit.

hi, would ETTR still be suitable for 8-bit 4:2:2 from a 5D MArk iv or an EOS R? i have C.Log on both of them. i much prefer the 10-bit 4:2:2 of my Sony FS-5 however i find it harder to achieve pleasant skin tones with the Sony than with either of the Canons.

2 hours ago, JuiH said:

hi, would ETTR still be suitable for 8-bit 4:2:2 from a 5D MArk iv or an EOS R? i have C.Log on both of them. i much prefer the 10-bit 4:2:2 of my Sony FS-5 however i find it harder to achieve pleasant skin tones with the Sony than with either of the Canons.

Even though the format you mention may be uncompressed, the fact that it is 8-bit might cause banding artifacts to appear when you adjust the levels back down in post.  Be careful and/or run tests in advance.

In your NLE, you might find filters that have sliders and color wheels that will allow you to quickly change the Sony skin tones to your liking.