First music video shot on FS7

Oliver Daniel

The first music video I shot on FS7 and edited on FCPX is now available to see. 

The features of the camera were to use 4k 50fps to punch in and slow down the footage at certain moments, and use the 150fps in 1080p for dramatic effect. I don't think this video shows off the resolution/colour as such - but the creative options available with higher frame rates (lacking so badly in all things Canon). 

The brief was to go with a unique, dark, grungy, imperfect and grainy look to suit the intensity of the track - this is very much an "editors" video and it might give you a headache - it's flashing all over the place!

The GH3 was used on the projection scenes. We ran out of budget. 

I have a 2nd video being edited now which is a pop track with a Maltese singer - this one is looking beautiful. It shows all the best features of the FS7. Out in 2 weeks. 

My opinion on the camera.... best camera release since I can remember. Still, the menus and buttons are crap. Can't have it all!

Watch now and protect your ears!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can you punch in on the footage to 100% HD size with out any loss.. I ask this as i just watched a vidio on this camera and the guy from Sony was saying you should never zoom in the 4k footage as it destroys it.. This is one of the main features i like about 4K that i am doing everyday now. So was wondering if that is a problem with their code for compression that it can not be zoomed in with out problems?

Thinking about this camera myself need to save up some first but i want to zoom in to HD size when exporting in HD.

I watched some of your other videos to i like what you are doing.

Thanks for all the positive comments. :D (and for fixing the embed Andrew)

Inazuma - The lenses used on the FS7 were Canon FD primes, and on the GH3 it was FD primes and the SLR magic 12mm.

To create the transitions, sometimes I make these from scratch by lens whacking with a light in a dark room and using speed to make it more frantic. I also use plugins from Pixel Film Studios http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/ , probably the most comprehensive set of FCPX plugins on the web! 

Digital Ed - I did actually notice that punching in on the 4k footage does look worse than the exact same frame/shot if it was down converted to 1080p, Sony are right, sort of. I could get away with it on this video as the label didn't want super-sharp clarity, they wanted grain and dirt.

HOWEVER, It really depends on how much resolution your lens is resolving and the quality of light. Zooming and cropping really amplifies any noise and can make the image look like 360p if you are not careful! This video was a low light shoot and noise was an issue... I do have another video coming up which was very well lit with Kino Flo's and Arri's in a controlled environment. I've punched in and the results are very good. 4k is no replacement for proper tools such as jibs, sliders and gimbals.