Canon 1D C to get $4000 price drop February 1st

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

4K for the upcoming 5D successor? I wouldn't really bet on that. Moreover, the 50MP sensor seems to be true and any 4K solution would be far from optimum, full readout would probably mean a lot of rolling shutter and lineskipping, even more coming from Canon, would be like 1080p upscaled. But not just that, Canon has not shown any sign of actual investment in DSLR video again, they have said some things about the market and how they need to be serious, but so far, that's about that. So maybe a MKII of the 1D C is more likely, even so, I wonder how they are going to position it in the market, will it have internal 4K, faster fps or 120/240fps in 1080p? The Sony FS7 seems like a nice camera at this price point, Panasonic has not made any move towards this market - no AF100 successor if there will ever be one - so is Canon keep doing their stuff or will they be just a little bit more aggressive feature wise?

Yeah, I couldn't really imagine them featuring 4K on any of the soon to come 5D's, so the 1D C what that concerned seems a safe go-to, if that's what you want out of a camera. However, the actual 5DmkIII successor, 5DmkIV, will probably have half of that resolution, so to say it's going to suck... not sure. Just... it won't be anything overwhelming. I'm kinda hoping they're gonna give consumer grade 4K to an APS-C camera like the 750D... I mean, people in the bizz aren't likely to be trading in their 5DmkIII or C100 for example for an APS-C entry level camera. But people looking into a LX100, FZ1000, GH4 and NX1, or just people looking for something better than their 4K smartphone just might. And then of course hoping Magic Lantern will have a go at it. Because if it wasn't for them, I'm not sure if people would've stuck with their Canon's for video as long as they have. I'm pretty sure they're not to keen on replicating the success of the 5DmkII because of the cinema line, but they could replicate the success of the 550D I feel like.

And then of course hoping Magic Lantern will have a go at it. Because if it wasn't for them, I'm not sure if people would've stuck with their Canon's for video as long as they have. 

​I'm not so sure about that. Just about every time I see someone ask 'what should I get as my first video camera,' there is often an overwhelming amount of T3i suggestions. That doesn't happen so much on this site, but elsewhere it seems to be the norm.

I'm not trying to be a protagonist but I cant see a single area/feature where the 1DC is better than the A7s. But I can see many areas where it exceeds the 1DC. Dynamic range, detail, codecs and menu customisation features, OLED viewfinder, full frame etc.

But if the 1DC was $12,000 now $8,000 and still $6,000 more than an A7s I'm genuinely trying to understand why?

cheers,

Simon

Well, the 1DC has a whole of 1DX packed inside for stills, so that's what it has over A7s. My clients won't accept 12MP stills for their use, so a low-light 18MP monster camera plus a 4K video camera with variable crop-factor that works great for interviews and cinema projection, is super compact, long battery, uses existing EF lenses and is extremely light and easy to operate is a dream machine, even by today's standards.

Well, the 1DC has a whole of 1DX packed inside for stills, so that's what it has over A7s. My clients won't accept 12MP stills for their use, so a low-light 18MP monster camera plus a 4K video camera with variable crop-factor that works great for interviews and cinema projection, is super compact, long battery, uses existing EF lenses and is extremely light and easy to operate is a dream machine, even by today's standards.

​...And don't forget Canon's color science.

People forget so quickly that the A7s doesn't shoot 4K internally.

​People also seems to forget that the 1DC has terrible ergonomics for video. An expensive EVF helps. They should of really made it a "Cinema DSLR" instead of just throwing a 4k mode with LOG into it. 

Also the lack of good slow motion sadly makes it a "no-go" for me. 

Nice image though. Beautiful stills. Tank like quality. I'd buy it if I was rolling in cash. 

• Administrators

The 1D C has terrible ergonomics only so far as they couldn't be bothered to change the ergonomics of the 1D X.

However, compare it to the FS7 or the Blackmagic Cinema Camera... And it's actually a lot simpler, smaller, lighter, more straight forward due to the lack of bells and whistles.

So for certain shooting styles it works better. An EVF doesn't have to be expensive you can put a £100 loupe on the back and you have your EVF.

Then stick a gorilla pod under it, shoot it to your eye and you have your handheld rig without the need to add weight or shoulder rigs, etc. Works very well.

On a tripod it needs an articulated monitor of some kind but again, what's so hard about a Small HD DP4?

You can also have the operator work off the back LCD whilst a second person monitors off a large monitor somewhere on set, via wireless HDMI transmitter with the Paralinx Triton.

Also for docu it has more stealth than a dedicated video cam as it still looks like a stills DSLR.

So far this is what you guys have said are the benefits of the 1DC that warrant $8,000

18MP stills

Low light  (Nope)

Super compact

Long battery

Uses EF lenses  (So does A7s)

Extremely light  (Nope)

Canons colour science  (Nope)

Internal 4K vs Shogun/O7Q

Metal body   (A7s is more than strong enough)

So After ruling out the features that the A7s matches or excels at your left with these

18MP stills    (Meh nice but not worth an additional $6,000  also I have a D800 with 36MP stills which has better dynamic range than a 1DC yet I prefer the stills from the A7s because its dynamic range more than makes up for pixels)

Long battery    (Meh nice but not worth an additional $6,000)

Internal 4K vs Shogun/O7Q    (granted but a shogun isnt a burden, its a fantastic monitor with excellent exposure tools)

P.s. Just my opinion but I crossed out Canon colour science because its a myth and I dont know where that saying started. I dont call redish skin tones good colour science. C100, C300 and C500 are fine but their DSLRs like  5d's have contrasty unrealistic colour. 

So After ruling out the features that the A7s matches or excels at your left with these

18MP stills    (Meh nice but not worth an additional $6,000  also I have a D800 with 36MP stills which has better dynamic range than a 1DC yet I prefer the stills from the A7s because its dynamic range more than makes up for pixels)

Long battery    (Meh nice but not worth an additional $6,000)

Internal 4K vs Shogun/O7Q    (granted but a shogun isnt a burden, its a fantastic monitor with excellent exposure tools)

P.s. Just my opinion but I crossed out Canon colour science because its a myth and I dont know where that saying started. I dont call redish skin tones good colour science. C100, C300 and C500 are fine but their DSLRs like  5d's have contrasty unrealistic colour. 

​I have the 5D Mark III and it blows the A7s out of the water. I shot a shortfilm with the 5d raw with a7s as b-cam and the 5d is just about 10x better than what the A7s brings out. Colors are about 100 000x better (no exaggeration!)

Also usability of the A7s is piss poor. The only things the A7s does better is cropmode and h264 quality. Also shadows with stills are cleaner in ISO 100. Whooptydoo. Magic Lantern sharpening peaking feature is better than the peaking on the a7s which peaks before being in focus.

And yes, Shogun is an absolute burden.

I shot an intro for a tv-series with the a7s and my god the highlights were horrible with white outlines everywhere where there was contrast.