The new Canon 5Ds 50MP full frame DSLR and video (rolling coverage)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Whether it's intended for stills or video, if it has a mirror and a prism I'm not interested. 

The laziest thing Canon can do to "upgrade" a camera is to add more megapixels.

Somewhat to my surprise, I've been using my GH4 - originally purchased for video - on stills jobs instead of my 5D MK III. The results are great, clients are happy and the camera is far more pleasant to use.

• Administrators

The 5D Mark III was announced March 2012, released same month, 5D Mark II was a September announcement, released Nov/Dec 2008. Over 3 years the gap.

So 3 years will be March 2015, but could indeed be August. March would make much more sense if it is a 4K camera as NAB is in April.

I'm still not convinced Canon is fully behind video on their stills cameras since they made the decision to split the line into EOS and Cinema EOS.

The megapixel race will put paid to 4K. Anything above 18MP and it is tricky, likely involves crop, severe rolling shutter, etc. Although Samsung managed it at 28MP, that's not a full frame sensor, it's APS-C so a lot smaller and runs cooler. Copper based.

Not sure what manufacturing technique Canon are capable of but they will likely need to move off aluminium and get down to smaller nanometers, etc., involving completely overhauled fabs and factories. They recently built new plants (in Taiwan I believe), could point to them making their own 50MP sensor.

The 5Ds is an 8K camera, and the likelihood of an 8K readout on a Canon full frame stills camera is zero :) so line-skipping 1080p or heavily cropped 4K it is!

Apparently they'll also announce a new rebel camera (750D) next week - I wonder if the video specs on that are gonna be harbinger for the specs on the new 5d... it will obviously be lower spec'd but if it's just same old features that might mean the same old features on the 5d (for video). Who knows...

​Since they are still using the Digic 6 processor, it will have HD 60p video at most. Probably it will shoot video similar to what you get from a 7D2 but without some of the more advanced codec features, in other words junk.

Well, this is great, but I cannot see how present lenses will cope with this resolution. All professional fixed lens don't go higher than 60-70 l/mm, which leads to 20MP clean resolution max.

If they don't announce a special line of lenses for this beast, I will be totally puzzled, unless I'm wrong in my estimations.

I currently use Mamiya camera + Phase One P40+ digital back and am totally happy with the setup. So also curious how it stands against this Canon...

​Do even the L series lenses resolve ~20mpx???  I'm confused as to why there would even be 25+mpx cameras then?   Can somebody expound?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Oh I did that test back when I had the D810. Put a 50mm, took two shots, one at 20-ish mp mode, and one at 36mp. In theory, the 36mp should have no resolution advantage over the 20mp medium JPEG, as that med-jpeg is already recording the full lens resolution, but in practise, the 36mp shows way, waay, waay more detail. 

and it was a 50mm 1.8D at f/1.8, so should deliver 15 mp max.

Shooting with a soft lens at 10mp delivers a softer image than shooting with the same soft lens at 50mp, to my eyes, even if numbers don't add up, there's these times one has to choose between believing numbers or one's own eyes :rolleyes:

Well, this is great, but I cannot see how present lenses will cope with this resolution. All professional fixed lens don't go higher than 60-70 l/mm, which leads to 20MP clean resolution max.

If they don't announce a special line of lenses for this beast, I will be totally puzzled, unless I'm wrong in my estimations.

I currently use Mamiya camera + Phase One P40+ digital back and am totally happy with the setup. So also curious how it stands against this Canon...

​+1

you will need new lenses for 50mp.

even medium format is on the edge at 50 mp... and this is a dslr.

so there`s a high chance that buyers will fill up their hard drives in a breeze just to have higher resolving details in chromatic aberration and soft images, where`s the point in that?

• Administrators

There was a rumour Canon will introduce another line of EF lenses for high resolution sensors, possibly EF-R or something like EF 35mm F1.4R above the L series of lenses and even more expensive.

I think this leak of the 5Ds is like the tip of the iceberg for what's coming.

Let's hope at least some of the iceberg contains 4K :)

​+1

you will need new lenses for 50mp.

even medium format is on the edge at 50 mp... and this is a dslr.

so there`s a high chance that buyers will fill up their hard drives in a breeze just to have higher resolving details in chromatic aberration and soft images, where`s the point in that?

​Well it's a matter of sales to ppl .. the key is what ppl believe they get instead of what the reality is. Like huge percentage of people think that there is a 2 party system in the USA even tho there reality is just one party. You gotta be able to sell stuff to people even tho the realities of what you are selling are different and obvious to limited few.

Canon is going after Phase One's IQ250, which has 50MP, a 2.5xFF sensor but starts at $35,000. While they won't be able to match the quality of IQ250, they may just achieve an 1/2 or 2/3 of its performance for 10x times the price. It would actually create a completely new market, a to-own medium format market with massive volume sales and also retain Canon users who would otherwise have jumped ship to a new ecosystem. Very smart.

Most of the ex-Canon photographers I know have either gone to Nikon D4s or IQ250 for low light sensitivity and better IQ, respectively. So 5DS and 5D4 are probably meant to stop this from happening.