Poll: What lenses do you want from the full SLR Magic APO cinema set?

Andrew Reid

How about an 18-135 T1.5 zoom? That should make everybody happy (except perhaps the size, weight, and price ;)). The ARRI/Fujinon 18-80 T2.6 is about $20k used and looks fantastic. 5 $2k primes are $10k; a fast zoom in the price range that competes with the Fujinon in the same way the proposed primes would compete with Cooke makes sense. Zooms save time and money on set and also provide cool zoom effects such as the Dolly Zoom.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I love the look of the 50mm so far - even more than the Cooke. But it's disappointing that there won't be an 18mm or 21mm to give the set a wide angle on Super35 cameras. Seems like cinema lenses like these would be best used on S35 cameras and not DSLR's. 

​You can use them on S35 as full frame lenses with the EF -> E-Mount Speed Booster of course, then you won't be needing that 18mm.

I agree with Rich. Set needs a 135mm. Other than that, I'm happy with 24,35,50,85,100.

How about an 18-135 T1.5 zoom? That should make everybody happy (except perhaps the size, weight, and price ;)). The ARRI/Fujinon 18-80 T2.6 is about $20k used and looks fantastic. 5 $2k primes are $10k; a fast zoom in the price range that competes with the Fujinon in the same way the proposed primes would compete with Cooke makes sense. Zooms save time and money on set and also provide cool zoom effects such as the Dolly Zoom.

​I would love an APO 35-70mm T2, and APO 75-150mm T2.

Low 2x zoom ratio for higher quality, and more manageable size and weight.

If you suggest to use the speedbooster, what do you need the PL mount option for at all?

since the red dragon sensor is rather a lot bigger than s-35 at 30mm wide in 6k mode, if I had the PL mount version of the dragon I'd be looking at these in PL as a viable option.  Using s35mm lenses on the dragon in 6k will be pushing the lenses too far beyond their working limit and thus the need for 'full frame friendly' APO lenses becomes very important if the acquisition of 6k data rates is to be worthwhile.

• 3 years later...