3 or 6 stops ND-Filter for FZ1000

revello

Hi community,

I got myself a Panasonic FZ1000 to shoot a promotion film of hot-air ballooning in the Austrian Alps.
Since the FZ1000 will be my A-cam I am looking for the right ND-filter. Budget is very modest so I have to stick with a fixed ND.

condition: I expect a lot of snowy mountains, sun and overcast weather, shooting only in daylight. Also I'll probably film through the whole zoomrange. 4k.

I am doubting between 3stops (ND8) and 6stops (ND64).

I am anxious 3 stops won't do the trick with all the snow reflecting and when shooting 35mm.

Any advices?

Kind regards,

Florian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its a good question, Ive used a ND8 solely in bright conditions before with a GH3 and 12-35 2.8 and it was almost always enough, sometimes I wished it was a touch darker, if possible and if you really only can afford one I would look for something in between (16 or 32), with the FZ1000 lens being slightly slower then you should be fine.

In one of the last video I shot I had a problem in a couple of shots: some "ghosts" in one take and an horrible "moire-like" in another one.
This was thanks to the ND filter: I had a Tiffen (120 € more or less) and it screwed up my images... 

Before that Tiffen I had an Hoya (same problems) and a variable 100 € ND...

From that day I stopped to use ND at all: I do my best to shot in the magic hour or with a higher shutter angle. 

p.s.: Revello, I read "Crete"... wow you are lucky, I had the best food in my life in Vamos at Parasia Rakadiko! Not to talk about the amazing beaches (Elafonisi, Marathi, Balos, Gramvousa...) 

Hi JazzBox,

Great to hear you enjoyed Crete, Vamos.... that's very close to where they shot the film "Zorba the Greek"!. But I see you came around, ...yeah Elafonisi is fantastic!
I am not a native Cretan though, just taking time off to get some projects done ;-)

Thanks for your "experience-talking", in the end I ended up buying a 10€ china ND filter, variable. If it doesn't work out then it's just 10€, after your post I am even less willing to buy an expensive one.

Cheers!!

Yeah, I was gonna suggest that. Fotga makes decent filters. I had one 62mm that I used on the 14-140mm back in the day with the GH2 that works pretty okay. They go for very cheap on eBay. If you're on a bit of a budget and pick the FZ1000 over an interchangeable lens system, I already take you expect your audience not to pixel peep that much.

Because it's a variable ND, so you might run into some weird behaviour (saturation, reflections, patterns), especially stopped down close to the maximum, but otherwise, it doesn't even lose that much sharpness. Color is ok too. Gives you a bit more flexibility, on-the-go control and ease of use.