DSLR Video Quality Rank - January 2015

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

FS7 isn't on there because I haven't shot with it yet. Said that in the article... only the cameras I've shot with are on the list, with the exception of the 'known' quantities. F35 is known for being cinematic. FS7 is yet to prove itself in my eyes though I've seen some nice stuff with it and it's definitely on my radar later in 2015. Now if only Sony would get their finger out and send me the demo unit!

​Thanks very much for that information.

Regarding the Noga Style Arm, I was wondering what the unfinished metal plate at the very end was -- and if the Shogun was also actually laying on a flat black metal support as can almost be seen in this photo.  

The metal plate is a Manfrotto base plate. The smaller one found on stills tripods. I like using those a lot. I have it there because I have a small Manfrotto ball head mounted on the top handle of the F5 when I use the Shogun with the F5 it just clips on.

It was the Noga style arm that was holding the Shogun flat like that.  Also I saw a Manfrotto arm today and it was AU$340!!! Crazy price. I bought mine from eBay for about $20 noname brand. Works perfectly.

The colour difference between the A7s and F5 I posted are due to me having slightly different colour temps set between the two cameras. My mistake. A slight grade tweak of either would correct it. 

Also anyone with an A7s notice on my tripod handle the little black thing with buttons? Its a Sony shutter release with cable and it has movie record button. I really recommend it. Doesn't cost much and means with velcro (yes velcro!) you have a repositionable record button from tripod to top handle to front of camera wherever you want or the shot ergonomics dictate.  I will have to update more pics tomorrow.

I know some people have stated this already, but you should probably update that the C100 mkII does in fact shoot 1080 60p in both AVCHD and the new MP4 codec.

I love my C100 but I was actually surprised you put it on the list! Not because it doesn't deserve to be there I just didn't think it was your kind of camera.  You are right though, its main "feature" so to speak is that its a workhorse of a camera that just works and looks great.

What's better me to choose between 5dM2 and 6d for videography ?

​It will depend what time of shooting you do. If ML RAW for doing a lot of colour correction appeals to you than the 5d2 with AA filter and ML like Andrew suggested. If extreme low light and fiddle free camera opperating is whats important to you than the 6d would likely be a better choice.

​It will depend what time of shooting you do. If ML RAW for doing a lot of colour correction appeals to you than the 5d2 with AA filter and ML like Andrew suggested. If extreme low light and fiddle free camera opperating is whats important to you than the 6d would likely be a better choice.

if I put AA filter and ML to 6d, it's ok than 5d2 ?

if I put AA filter and ML to 6d, it's ok than 5d2 ?

​ML RAW on the 6D is not great compared to the 5D and 7D- it records to SD cards as opposed to CF which allow you to write more data to the cards. If you installed the AA filter, it would probably rank slightly less than the 5DIII (no ml). Nice camera that produces a great image when it's not throwing around horrible aliasing all over the place.

Given that

​Coupled with the rise of online streaming the differences in that area might not even mean that much. It's kinda a bit like MP3s in the audio world. It's good enough for most and the convenience won out.

​True enough - I think traditional broadcast is up for a huge shift in late 2016 that will mean a very fast change in how we consume video content.