DSLR Video Quality Rank - January 2015

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wait a second now. The FS700 internal is ranked, but the A7s 4k HDMI is to an external recorder. So i wonder where the FS700+7Q would fall on your list. I'd definitely place it in that top tier, maybe even at the top spot if this sort of camera/recorder combo is allowed. 

​Yea, seems like the FS700/OQ7 combo gets overlooked by alot of indie filmakers, but it really is the very, very best image out there for a sub $10k price and crazy versatile.

I've had ours for just under a year and the image is sublime. Sharp 4K (to 60fps, 120fps burst), 2K (to 240p), raw, prores, 4K to HD, 13 stops, built in NDs, built in XLRs, great screen, amazing exposure tools, good low light

For a hybrid stills/video machine, you'd still take A7s over D750?  I'm about to buy one of those this week, likely the A7s because it needs no Zacuto and it's just smaller.  Also dig the hotshoe mounted XLR adapter they have.  Seem like Sony has the hybrid video/stills space more mastered than the others.

I would normally be perplexed at the very least with your omission of the Odyssey 7Q and the FS700.  Like other have said, it certainly belongs in the top list if not on top. But the fact that you suggest the A7s with the much newer Shogun leads me to believe the omission was purposeful. Pretty sad if so.

It just goes to show that personal rankings vary from person to person.

​Precisely. It amazes me how some people get worked up over one person's own opinion. ALL of these cameras produce a stunning image, and depending upon certain factors, your mileage may vary somewhat. Take what you read with a grain of salt, and enjoy the technology that we have today!

​Precisely. It amazes me how some people get worked up over one person's own opinion. ALL of these cameras produce a stunning image, and depending upon certain factors, your mileage may vary somewhat. Take what you read with a grain of salt, and enjoy the technology that we have today!

​I could say the iPhone 3G is better than them all.
It being my personal opinion would not make the claim any less preposterous.  
I agree they are all great instruments. But I think certain things should be clarified for those that may not know better.
I was once learning and have found myself on EOSHD looking for information. This list is just a disheveled mess.

A monkey could pick up an FS700 and get a better image than with a 7D. I'm not sure which of you (besides the author) would dispute that.
I understand it's a personal opinion thing, but it's published on a public site. So I'm just airing my opinion of his opinion. 
Feel free to take mine with a grain of salt as well. ;)

​I could say the iPhone 3G is better than them all.It being my personal opinion would not make the claim any less preposterous.  
I agree they are all great instruments. But I think certain things should be clarified for those that may not know better.
I was once learning and have found myself on EOSHD looking for information. This list is just a disheveled mess.

A monkey could pick up an FS700 and get a better image than with a 7D. I'm not sure which of you (besides the author) would dispute that.
I understand it's a personal opinion thing, but it's published on a public site. So I'm just airing my opinion of his opinion. 
Feel free to take mine with a grain of salt as well. ;)

Right at the beginning he says that he's only including cameras that he's worked with personally, excepting the F35 and C300, cameras that he has written about frequently. I don't often see him mention too FS700+7Q combo, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be included here. Not to say I wouldn't love to see where he'd rank it (I know I'd personally put it close to the top), but it's really not that big of a deal.

It's not some random list with no context- it's a personal list where he gives concrete reasons for why he chose to place one camera ahead of the other. It's useful because it allows perceptive readers where their interests align and diverge with Andrew's.  We should all come to our own conclusions.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think why this list will be controversial is that Andrew i evaluating the entire camera packages, for his use (indie stuff), and not just the image quality. That's why it's a bit of a shock to see a 5d mk ii above an f35, or a7s internal 10 steps above a c300, but when you read why the choice was made, you understand the point, it's about the camera as a whole. I would love a list strictly based on IQ and how the list would change in that sense. I would put f35 + 1Dc at top, next C300/5D raw, then nx1/a7s/gh4, and so on, I mean as a comparison based strictly on the image look,

Right at the beginning he says that he's only including cameras that he's worked with personally, excepting the F35 and C300, cameras that he has written about frequently. I don't often see him mention too FS700+7Q combo, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be included here. Not to say I wouldn't love to see where he'd rank it (I know I'd personally put it close to the top), but it's really not that big of a deal.

It's not some random list with no context- it's a personal list where he gives concrete reasons for why he chose to place one camera ahead of the other. It's useful because it allows perceptive readers where their interests align and diverge with Andrew's.  We should all come to our own conclusions.

​I couldn't have said it better! PERSONALLY worked with being the key word here. Whether you agree with or not, get over it, it's just his opinion. 

It just goes to show that personal rankings vary from person to person.

Yep ....... fact is the lines are getting very blurry in image quality land.  By CES/NAB 2016, which camera you buy (based on image quality alone) wont matter much. 

For most people out there, their work wont be seen by that many people anyway so it really does come down to personal preference in the end, and as I already said the differences are shrinking very fast.

Given that

Yep ....... fact is the lines are getting very blurry in image quality land.  By CES/NAB 2016, which camera you buy (based on image quality alone) wont matter much. 

For most people out there, their work wont be seen by that many people anyway so it really does come down to personal preference in the end, and as I already said the differences are shrinking very fast.

​Coupled with the rise of online streaming the differences in that area might not even mean that much. It's kinda a bit like MP3s in the audio world. It's good enough for most and the convenience won out.

Your 720 hint sure helps.

Btw:  

Which cage is on the A7s?

What mount are you using for the Shogun when it is mounted horizontally in back of the camera?

And what box is to the left of the camera?

Thanks.

Agree on the 720p unfortunately when I was shooting I didnt have a comparison in mind so I didnt ensure both were 1080p or even 4K. But if its not immediately obvious that one is 720 without me mentioning it then its a testament to how nice the 720p in on the A7s.

​The cage is from Motion9 called the A7s Cube cage. I can honestly say this cage is AMAZING!! Sounds silly to say about a cage but this cage is so well thought out and so well machined and finished.  I have a Movcam top plate on the F5 and it was very poorly machined with sharp edges. Machining aside the Motion9 cage is precision and a very snug fit around the A7s and the thumb rest is excellent. They also have rails and their own battery option. 

The Shogun was positioned with a Noga style arm. Easy to reposition.

The box to the left of the cage is actually part of the cage. It is an ingenious way to clamp the HDMI and other cables exiting the camera. And its a handle!!

Just on the A7s and Shogun I can definitely recommend them both.

I cant tell the difference between shots from my F5 or my A7s as you can see here.

http://www.overseafilms.com/overseafilms-gear-tech.html

Cheers,

Simon

​Do you mean just in terms of detail? Because I can see a huge difference in colour. 

So which image is which? Im guessing the one of the left in the first image is the A7S

Agree on the 720p unfortunately when I was shooting I didnt have a comparison in mind so I didnt ensure both were 1080p or even 4K. But if its not immediately obvious that one is 720 without me mentioning it then its a testament to how nice the 720p in on the A7s.

​The cage is from Motion9 called the A7s Cube cage. I can honestly say this cage is AMAZING!! Sounds silly to say about a cage but this cage is so well thought out and so well machined and finished.  I have a Movcam top plate on the F5 and it was very poorly machined with sharp edges. Machining aside the Motion9 cage is precision and a very snug fit around the A7s and the thumb rest is excellent. They also have rails and their own battery option. 

The Shogun was positioned with a Noga style arm. Easy to reposition.

The box to the left of the cage is actually part of the cage. It is an ingenious way to clamp the HDMI and other cables exiting the camera. And its a handle!!

​Thanks very much for that information.

Regarding the Noga Style Arm, I was wondering what the unfinished metal plate at the very end was -- and if the Shogun was also actually laying on a flat black metal support as can almost be seen in this photo.  

http://www.overseafilms.com/images/img_0294.jpg 

Of course, my eyes maybe playing tricks on me.