SLR Magic vs Cooke

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you for sharing this comparison! The bokeh comparison is a huge Cooke characteristic that doesn't cross over-I was curious about two other Cooke characteristics: the inherent warmth that helps skin tones and the subtle shift in perspective that occurs while racking. Do you have video/photos comparing skin tones b/w these lenses or any footage of each lens racking focus on the same subject? 

Overall you make a strong case to consider the SLR Magics. Thanks!

Although it's technically not perfect, there is something slightly more beautiful and cinematic about the Cooke. But the SLR Magic performs superbly for the price and looks perfectly paired to the 1DC. Is there a release date set?

If I can ask, where did you find your Cookes?

I need to give Cooke's another shot i think. After hearing so much positive about them I finally got a chance to use them over the summer and wasn't super impressed (same line as yours). Most couldn't get perfectly sharp (when focusing 1:1 on an epic) and many seemed not calibrated for focus marks (which happens to all lenses, so that was just a negative experience in general) I'm guessing the rental house maybe just didn't take care of them. Anyways thanks for the review/comparison.

I would like to see it compared to the nikkor 50 1.2 (300€) and the nikkor 50 2 ai(30€). The second one isn't a stellar performer when compared to expensive modern lenses but it's a very cinematic lens with smooth bokeh and all the sharpness you need wideopen, (I picked these two cause theyre the ones I use)