Rokinon/Samyang Cine DS lenses

Oliver Daniel

I'm a big fan of "character" lenses, but there are many times when the highly stylised weirdo approach isn't required - which brings me to the Rokinon/Samyang Cine DS line. 

I'm attracted to these lenses as they are reportedly a bargain for the money and have de-clicked apertures, gears, same filter sizes etc. I find the workarounds to get these features on stills lenses very annoying and a bit crappy!

Has anybody used this line of lenses, or their predecessors? Can't seem to find the Cine DS line in Uk and Europe, only in the USA! *sigh* 

Thanks. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I own the 24,35,50 and 85. Non DS. The only difference is DS has markings on both sides. I love them. Bought them to use with my A7s. Best lens for the money. The only short comer is the 24mm. It's not the sharpest of the bunch. I wouldn't recommend shooting below a 2.8 with it if you want it to feel as sharp as the rest. You can get away with a 2.0 in a pinch but at 1.4 it's unacceptable. The 35 looks great down to a 2.0. And the 50 and 85 perform well wide open. I use these lenses with a Ronin and because they're so light, they work great. Also, the dampening on the focus/iris rings is butter smooth even in the cold.

Here's a little video I did a few weeks ago. All the street footage is Rokinon 35mm. Studio footage is Rokinon 85mm, Nikon 135mm 2.0 and Nikon 185mm 2.8.

http://vimeopro.com/user6325180/cock-it-up-featuring-timeka-marshal

Samyang will release a new version of these lenses soon. In Germany they're supposed to come out in February, so I imagine they might be released earlier in other countries. The only differences are more markings on the lens body and the gears for a follow focus are in the same place on every lens. Not sure if they're already out in other countries but you might want to plan on waiting just a little longer to pick up these newer versions. 

Samyang_VDSLR-11874_PIC1.jpg

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Tim Sewell said:

For the money they can't be beat.

I have the 85mm T1.5 so far very pleased with it . Was only Aus $380 brand new the Nikon 85mm f1.4 has autofocus but is $2,300 !!

However Lensrentals have found the Samyang/Rokinons have  high repair rates 

https://www.slrlounge.com/rokinon-samyang-bower-lenses-long-term-quality-review/

I have the 85, 50, 35 and 24 - I had the 16 but sold it. I'm sure they do have high repair rates for a rental house - I mean, they're robust enough for general usage but I wouldn't want to subject them to much rough and tumble - they're clearly mainly plastic budget lenses. Nonetheless, for me, they perform really well. The 50, especially, I find to have a lovely character and almost a 3D quality in the way it separates subject from foreground. My set are also all fairly close in colour rendition. I've got a whole shelf full of older manual lenses that I like to use for both stills and video from time to time, but the Samyangs are what come out if I have the opportunity to put together something 'proper'.

I'd just wish the 35mm 1.4 wasn't so humongously big (bigger than the Sigma 35mm 1.4 or the first Canon 35mm f/1.4L). The image quality is really good for the price, as is the 85mm f/1.4 but adapting it to anything but a fullframe DSLR feels crazy out of proportion.

55 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I'd just wish the 35mm 1.4 wasn't so humongously big (bigger than the Sigma 35mm 1.4 or the first Canon 35mm f/1.4L). The image quality is really good for the price, as is the 85mm f/1.4 but adapting it to anything but a fullframe DSLR feels crazy out of proportion.

Yeh Phil 650gms is on the bulky side but manageable.The latest Nikon and Tokina 24-70mm f2.8 zooms are much worse ,they have bloated out to one kg

and you sure notice that with a days filming.