Panasonic GH4 Firmware Update 2.1

levisdavis

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Call me crazy, but the only firmware update that I really need or want is the ability to use focus magnification while recording. IMHO it's the final frontier of usability for the GH4.

​Quoted for truth. I still don't quite believe it's not there cos I try to use it every day. I find the 1080 focus on my rx100 is easier to manage in some ways.

I wonder if it kills some bugs as well, been having problems with the Battery Grip of the camera crashing and all. Let's see...

UPDATE: So far so good, before the update I'd connect the grip, turn the camera on, and suddenly things would go berserk, the camera would be "possessed", the lens would AF constantly, the screen would go black, sometimes it would blink or just freeze.

Now I just updated and switched on without the grip, then with it, and all is fine! =) Whenever I test it out in the "real world" I'll update this post again.

Cheers.

After seeing this update, the Samsung NX1 is looking more and more attractive. My only 2 problems; converting the H.265 to a more edit friendly codec is impractical to me. Figure out the lenses and how to use my nikon and canon lenses with it. 

I don't think Panasonic will add any v-log or 4k anamorphic on this GH4. You're gonna have to buy a camera for that! 

Yes, hopefully Anamorphic 4K mode and VLOG will be in firmware 2.2 including in-camera de-squeeze.   That would be a huge improvement.  Of course it would be of little help unless your were able to output to HDMI with it.   You can't do that right now.

So just for the record, Panasonic:

- VLOG

- 4k Photomode changed to 4k Anamorphic

- 24p

- 1.33, 1.5, 2.0x de-squeeze onscreen

- output to HDMI

- VFR HD to HDMI.  I believe HDMI 1.4b can output up to 120fps.

V-log will be nice, but I'd really really like shutter speed/angle lock and a selection of aspect ratio crop marks.

I lost a bit of footage the other day because I didn't notice I'd changed angle - because of the tinted sellotape over the top and bottom of my screen!

​Have you tried switching your shutter dial to the top? It's much harder to accidentally move it when it's on top instead of the back.

Anyone else having trouble updating to 2.1 ?
I did everything the instructions say : newly formatted card, full battery.

However when I press play nothing happens, just the usual 'no picture' message.

​Hi Pascal! How did you updated it? Have same message! And have tried 2 cards!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having trouble updating to 2.1 ?
I did everything the instructions say : newly formatted card, full battery.

However when I press play nothing happens, just the usual 'no picture' message.

​Maybe you have downloaded twice and you copy number 2 in the firmware file update. In such case you have to remove the number 2 of the file name.