have u faked ANAMORPHIC look and happy w results

Jed I. Clampett

I have software that fakes the anamorphic look of flares and obviously can put bars to crop, but wonder if you have faked the look of anamorphic and are happy with the result?

I use Canon Rebel Cameras and nikkor manual primes. The cheapest solution is the SLR Magic Anamorphic lens, but wonder how far I can get by faking it? I do believe it is about the story, but esp if I move up to a camera with higher resolution, then I can afford to crop without notice. I can do this with the Canon Rebels by outputting it in post at 720P which for my purposes is fine. I am going to test it anyway, but am interested in your experience cropping in post and adding flares if you are happy with the result?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

it depends on your taste, not ours! if you are happy, then it works, dude!

i don't like cropping and adding flares, because this is not anamorphic. Sometimes anamorphic lenses don't create flares, sometimes the flares are different, there's oval bokeh, there's a general softness, there's much more to the anamorphic aesthetic than just 'wider frame' and 'lens flares'. :)

Ok, about my taste, I like flares, not too much - star trek like - but the normal ones, I like a wider frame that comes from stretching pixels. I don't agree with cropping because it's somewhat like burning money. You're making the whole frame look good, and then burning away something close to 30% of that. 

Oval bokeh is important. It's usually the first thing that you can spot in a movie in order to say if it's anamorphic or spherical.

Texture, usually anamorphic stuff is softer than spherical. Many people see this is a downside, I think it's a positive thing. It makes the footage look organic and not so perfect as a Canon L lens would do.

About being happy with the results of faking, if we were happy with it, I think this forum would not exist. Also, if you're interested in more elaborate ways to fake the look that are not only post-production based, check this: http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=7283

You can try to look for an ultra low contrast lens and some oval aperture insert. It's not the same but it's like using a normal lens without spending tons of money and all the pain in the ass of double focus (because the SLR magic one doesn't give the real anamorphic feeling).

Just take a piece of black cardboard cut a 52mm diameter circle (you said nikkors), now cut an oval shaped hole in the middle. Take that and put it infront of one of your fast nikkors. Fake oval aperture ;)

• 1 month later...

I am playing around with vintage glass I have and building different effects, something in the style of DSO, plus my own ideas - this is three samples from a modified Helios 44M with built in imitation of the anamorphic flare. Everything depends of course of the light source, making the flare aggressive, or just present.... but the results are ok I think. As for the oval aperture bo-ke - I don't really like it, prefer the round one. However, I think there is a way to make a normal variable oval aperture, it's tricky but not impossible....

1-IMG_9848.JPG

3-1.JPG

2-IMG_9860.JPG

7.JPG