NX1 Flat profile test (Gamma_DR)

neosushi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just go to Vimeo and search "Samsung NX1" the first page is filled with impressive footage from the NX1.

Heres a few screengrabs of my latest video (still on edit) http://imgur.com/a/rQHhx I think the camera is outstanding in every way, color/resolution/detail is amazing, you can make it as filmic as you want, or just not at all, its quite versatile. I too am eager to have native support H265 on premiere, it will make my job so much easier.

Ricardo, you have some beautiful looks in those images. What camera settings are you using?

Do you expose to the right and adjust in post, or do you try to nail your exposure in camera?

Ricardo, you have some beautiful looks in those images. What camera settings are you using?

Do you expose to the right and adjust in post, or do you try to nail your exposure in camera?

Hey, Thank you very much :d 

Im not sure what settings im currently using, when I get home ill check and post them here =)

I underexpose most of my shots, I think thats how you make the NX1 look the best, over exposed shots make it look way too digital and looks quite bad, so its best to under expose and then bring the exposure up in post if needed.

Heres a few more, from another project, that show mostly how my footage is underexposed when I start color grading (these were very early shots of the grading also without any sharpen) - http://imgur.com/a/CCBXl - Ill post a few more of these, and how they will end up looking when I get home. =)

Just go to Vimeo and search "Samsung NX1" the first page is filled with impressive footage from the NX1.

Heres a few screengrabs of my latest video (still on edit) http://imgur.com/a/rQHhx I think the camera is outstanding in every way, color/resolution/detail is amazing, you can make it as filmic as you want, or just not at all, its quite versatile. I too am eager to have native support H265 on premiere, it will make my job so much easier.

Nice stuff. As long as you don't overexpose the NX1 image is very impressive. The DR curve is very different from Sony's sensor.

Macgregors short on the Ferrari is awesome. I shoot in sunny conditions almost daily, bright skies were my biggest problem with the NX1, even with ND's. I've had an easier time with the A7rII.

Edit: just saw your other post about underexposing, cheers

Nice stuff. As long as you don't overexpose the NX1 image is very impressive. The DR curve is very different from Sony's sensor.

Macgregors short on the Ferrari is awesome. I shoot in sunny conditions almost daily, bright skies were my biggest problem with the NX1, even with ND's. I've had an easier time with the A7rII.

Edit: just saw your other post about underexposing, cheers

Totally, 

Having a white sky/bright sky, totally bring down the quality of the NX1, it really "shines" when its darker, and then fix it in post if you need it. Coming from a canon, im still getting used to it, but the more I use it, the more I love it, every single frame of a video can be a photograph.

Hey, Thank you very much :d 

Im not sure what settings im currently using, when I get home ill check and post them here =)

I underexpose most of my shots, I think thats how you make the NX1 look the best, over exposed shots make it look way too digital and looks quite bad, so its best to under expose and then bring the exposure up in post if needed.

Heres a few more, from another project, that show mostly how my footage is underexposed when I start color grading (these were very early shots of the grading also without any sharpen) - http://imgur.com/a/CCBXl - Ill post a few more of these, and how they will end up looking when I get home. =)

Do you underexpose because of Gamma DR? I am still searching for the perfect settings for my NX500. It doesn't have Gamma DR or the choice of 0-255 or whatever the other option is. I really like your footage so if I could get my image looking half of what you're getting I'd be a happy filmmaker.

Recently I have been exposing to the right with -4 saturation, -5 contrast and -10 sharpness and I have been getting pretty good results, but then I see your footage and learn you're underexposing = I am confused all over again. 

Btw, where do you live? It looks like the most beautiful place in the world. 

Do you underexpose because of Gamma DR? I am still searching for the perfect settings for my NX500. It doesn't have Gamma DR or the choice of 0-255 or whatever the other option is. I really like your footage so if I could get my image looking half of what you're getting I'd be a happy filmmaker.

Recently I have been exposing to the right with -4 saturation, -5 contrast and -10 sharpness and I have been getting pretty good results, but then I see your footage and learn you're underexposing = I am confused all over again. 

Btw, where do you live? It looks like the most beautiful place in the world. 

Hey,

Thank you very much, im glad you enjoy it :d

My current camera settings are Gamma DR (although you can try some other on the NX500, im sure you can get it similar) and Saturation -1, Sharpness -10 and contrast-3. When shooting I just look at the viewfinder, and expose it ot the left, exposing to the right will overexpose the highlights, making it look digital.

Heres what a shot of mine look, completely RAW and then edited :http://imgur.com/a/u4W8D

My grading settings for some of these were :

M31 Lut rec709 intensity 56,7,faded film 29,4, Contrast + 22 and the curve with a very soft S shape, on top I also add film convert and then tweak the settings a bit more on each individual clip.

I live in Madeira-Portugal, it is quite a beautifull place, Im in the process of doing a little video showing of the island, ill share when its done :d

I've been tempted to use the NX1 ever since it's release. I'd like to rent it but I can't find a vendor in the UK.

I think the colours are lovely and the resolution is absolutely ridiculous. 

What's the "better" type of skilled footage you have come across? Albert Fast does a good job with his little short films. 

honestly Albert Fast's work with the NX1 is the best I've seen hands down. Convinced me that leaving my A7s for an NX1 wouldn't be a bad decision lol. I am constantly doing real world tests with mine but I am waiting for Adobe to support h.265 natively before i release anything. I feel like transcoding the footage isn't giving us the "real" performance of the nx1.

honestly Albert Fast's work with the NX1 is the best I've seen hands down. Convinced me that leaving my A7s for an NX1 wouldn't be a bad decision lol. I am constantly doing real world tests with mine but I am waiting for Adobe to support h.265 natively before i release anything. I feel like transcoding the footage isn't giving us the "real" performance of the nx1.

That's one of the big reasons I want to see NX1 footage shot with an external recorder, but for some reason, no one seems to have done it. At least judging by the lack of any test clips online.

I never saw any of Albert Fast's work until this post... I was blown away. Great stuff. Too bad he sold off the NX1 for the G7. 

I never saw any of Albert Fast's work until this post... I was blown away. Great stuff. Too bad he sold off the NX1 for the G7. 

I think he's just experimenting at this point. I've been like that having sold a gh4 and an a7s which were both good cameras. I think the NX1 has a lot of potential but again we just need native support from Adobe and Final Cut to see it's potential. Now more than ever you HAVE to get as close as possible to the final look in camera. If you try to go flat by lowering contrast and saturation we're kinda being counterproductive. The selling point of the camera is the contrast and beautiful colors....hope I didn't go off on a tangent LOL

I think he's just experimenting at this point. I've been like that having sold a gh4 and an a7s which were both good cameras. I think the NX1 has a lot of potential but again we just need native support from Adobe and Final Cut to see it's potential. Now more than ever you HAVE to get as close as possible to the final look in camera. If you try to go flat by lowering contrast and saturation we're kinda being counterproductive. The selling point of the camera is the contrast and beautiful colors....hope I didn't go off on a tangent LOL

Yeah, I have the NX500 and I have experimented with nearly every possible setting. My current set up is -4 saturation -10 sharpness and -5 contrast. Not sure how the colors are with the nx1, but I find the colors on the nx500 to be off. If I don't desaturate in camera, the yellows oranges and greens just don't look right. But I am a newbie, so it could be user error. 

Btw, love your videos man... Top notch!!!

Yeah, I have the NX500 and I have experimented with nearly every possible setting. My current set up is -4 saturation -10 sharpness and -5 contrast. Not sure how the colors are with the nx1, but I find the colors on the nx500 to be off. If I don't desaturate in camera, the yellows oranges and greens just don't look right. But I am a newbie, so it could be user error. 

Btw, love your videos man... Top notch!!!

hmmm i'll give that a shot ! I did notice no matter my contrast setting I had to bump down saturation to a maximum of -2 to really capture all the colors without oversaturating the image. And I appreciate you checking out my work !!!

hmmm i'll give that a shot ! I did notice no matter my contrast setting I had to bump down saturation to a maximum of -2 to really capture all the colors without oversaturating the image. And I appreciate you checking out my work !!!

Yeah, I use -2 saturation as well. But I recently saw the demo video from the guy from cinema5d and he used -4 saturation in the demo, so I have been messing with that. The nx500 doesn't have gamma dr, and very little info out there regarding optimum settings, so it's test and next. 

No problem, I had actually seen a bunch of your videos a few months back. Look forward to the nx1 clips. 

Hey,

Thank you very much, im glad you enjoy it :d

My current camera settings are Gamma DR (although you can try some other on the NX500, im sure you can get it similar) and Saturation -1, Sharpness -10 and contrast-3. When shooting I just look at the viewfinder, and expose it ot the left, exposing to the right will overexpose the highlights, making it look digital.

Heres what a shot of mine look, completely RAW and then edited :http://imgur.com/a/u4W8D

My grading settings for some of these were :

M31 Lut rec709 intensity 56,7,faded film 29,4, Contrast + 22 and the curve with a very soft S shape, on top I also add film convert and then tweak the settings a bit more on each individual clip.

I live in Madeira-Portugal, it is quite a beautifull place, Im in the process of doing a little video showing of the island, ill share when its done :d

I am wondering if you do not have problems with compression artifacts with underexposured image. It is shown on this example:

It is OK?

I am wondering if you do not have problems with compression artifacts with underexposured image. It is shown on this example:

It is OK?

Never noticed anything of that sort, but ill take a look and do some real life tests.

Im gonna do some more tests with settings and do a new topic on it, and how I do some of my grades, considering a few people have asked me how its done.