GH4 with Sony F55 on Commercial - Georgia Power

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't want to be controversial but I think this video is the reason I am not a big fan of shooting human faces in 4k, if I was you I would either blur the faces in post or next time use softening filters. Seing every pores or more importantly every pimple is not very flattering. For the grading in certain case I would say it goes a bit too much for my taste (again more on the human being) but it is an artistic choice and I don't know if it is not the extreme sharpness that it is making me think it it is a bit too much. That is just my humble ideas it does not mean that I am right.

I like your opinon Danyyel - yes - softer for faces can many times be better.  I went opposite - I used neatvideo to sharpen everything up.  I like sharp.  But that's just me.  We all have different opinions about art and that's what makes the world diverse and important and we can all learn from each other!  And it helps me grow a lot.  So thank you for your honesty!

One little advise somehow is to really cautious of who you are shooting, I am used shooting people for wedding/commercial/fashion photography. I am always softening the skin if my client is on the shot, if you had for example the manager of the company in these shot more so if it is a woman, that type of sharpness would spell trouble. For me there is difference between detail and sharpness. The Canon dslr with there bitrate and muddiness have really skewed what is the difference between both detail and sharpness. At least I would recommend to have good make-up to hide skin flaws. For example the little boy that must be like 10/12 and have very good skin, he has white speckles and dead pealing skin on his lips.  Me I am more in line with DP like Rodney Charters, but that is my belief and you might have your own and I respect that.

Looks great!

Its important to keep in mind if this is meant to be played on TV all of that over sharpening will look much more appealing. Most people watch a TV from at least 8 or 10ft away from the screen. Watching it a foot away on your computer, you can pick up a lot more on those little things that can sometimes be less attractive

What's the deal with the non-black black bars though?

The sharpness wasn't really too bad, I kinda was a bit put off by the grading. The whole thing looks like a class ad, but feel like it would be better without the blue cast, embracing warmer colors and a bit less contrast. And actually the GH4 footage to me looked nicer than the stuff shot with the F55. Great little camera. A couple of years ago who had imagined we'd be flying around drones with 4K mirrorless cameras?

I agree with everything said about the grade - yes I should have matted it black.

I was regrading a graded version and it may be too sharp as well.  I'll try regrading it - thank you for the feedback - these are good opinions.

I think I made it too sharp.

I really appreciate this feedback - this helps me grow as an artist.  

When it comes to faces you either have a budget for a good makeup artist that can deal with HD or you don't. No amount of filters can really deal with pores, acne, blotchy skin etc.. Granted there are people with great skin that can get away with close ups but I don't really see the issue as being 4k or cameras that capture sharp and detailed images.