What's the best 1080P cam?

Hitfabryk

When you are doing a scientific analysis you hold those variables steady.

​Indeed.  And after all, if you really wanted to, you can make footage from an actual film camera look like video with a few tricks.  And you can go the other direction with an electronic camera.

If getting the closest right out of the cam is the biggest issue though, then it seems to me the BM cameras offer that.

I still stick by my point though.  If you apply skill to your shooting and post that's how you make digital look like film.  The camera body is a factor, but a much smaller one than a lot of people tend to think it is.  Of course, learning applied craft is harder than buying stuff, so...

Round and round.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

What's the best 1080P cam, looking for filmic look, easy workflow with a mac, max around 2500,- euro (less is no problem:)) although it's nice it doesn't have to be a low light king.

Thanks for any input.

​Current best matches for you are the Sony A7S, Nikon D750 or 5D Mark III ML.

Depending on your definition of easy workflow ML raw on the 5D3 might not work out for you.

The D750 is really easy to work with.

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera does have a nice image but it's a very different look to full frame, you might not get on with it. Depends on the lenses you already own or what you plan to buy for it. The lens is half the look of the camera.

Consider the GH4 as well because the 4K files make for great 1080p in post, the workflow is as simple as banging in 50% size reductions for the clips.

Fuzzy your posts are unhelpful.

Why's that?  Off topic?  Look, y'all can moderate your site anyway you see fit, but here's my defense:  The original poster is asking about what it takes to make "filmic" images and what's a good camera to do it.  I say it's not that simple.  What's the big deal?  

I know this is a tech-centric website, but since film making is an art created by the craft of technology, is it unhelpful to encourage people to explore other aspects of the craft, such as "painting with light," rather than the technology?  After all, knowing how to naturalistically use light in a shot is going to be many more factors of importance than the camera body it's shot with.  It's also hard to do.  You do it wrong and whatever camera you use will not look great.  How's that opinion "unhelpful?"

So many new creatives are entering this world of film making through DSLR and mirror less, and I've unfortunately known a few people that believe solving the film-look issue is possible with one simple purchase of a camera body.  I just disagree with that notion.  Is that truly unhelpful or do you just not like reading my opinion?  If it's the latter, just say so and I'll skidaddle.

Why's that?  Off topic?  Look, y'all can moderate your site anyway you see fit, but here's my defense:  The original poster is asking about what it takes to make "filmic" images and what's a good camera to do it.  I say it's not that simple.  What's the big deal?  

I know this is a tech-centric website, but since film making is an art created by the craft of technology, is it unhelpful to encourage people to explore other aspects of the craft, such as "painting with light," rather than the technology?  After all, knowing how to naturalistically use light in a shot is going to be many more factors of importance than the camera body it's shot with.  It's also hard to do.  You do it wrong and whatever camera you use will not look great.  How's that opinion "unhelpful?"

So many new creatives are entering this world of film making through DSLR and mirror less, and I've unfortunately known a few people that believe solving the film-look issue is possible with one simple purchase of a camera body.  I just disagree with that notion.  Is that truly unhelpful or do you just not like reading my opinion?  If it's the latter, just say so and I'll skidaddle.

It's incredible how many people ignore the importance of lighting when making "filmic" images, or any images for that matter. Lighting is more important than the camera, it can make the image of a "sub-standard" camera look much better than "the best camera ever" that was used without additional lighting.  Obviously. 

Sony A7S is the best choice IMO (for your needs). Regardless of its's high sensitivity, don't ignore a set of lights either ;) 

​Current best matches for you are the Sony A7S, Nikon D750 or 5D Mark III ML.

Depending on your definition of easy workflow ML raw on the 5D3 might not work out for you.

The D750 is really easy to work with.

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera does have a nice image but it's a very different look to full frame, you might not get on with it. Depends on the lenses you already own or what you plan to buy for it. The lens is half the look of the camera.

Consider the GH4 as well because the 4K files make for great 1080p in post, the workflow is as simple as banging in 50% size reductions for the clips.

​Thanks Andrew, and all the other members who took the effort to give me advice..I decided to buy the Sony A7S and will start with my old (FD, 28, 35, 55) lenses.

I have a good feeling that I made the right choice, maybe someday I will film in 4K, but for now I will use the 1080. Happy!

​Thanks Andrew, and all the other members who took the effort to give me advice..I decided to buy the Sony A7S and will start with my old (FD, 28, 35, 55) lenses.

I have a good feeling that I made the right choice, maybe someday I will film in 4K, but for now I will use the 1080. Happy!

​1080p 30/24 fps is excellent in the camera, 60fps in FF mode does have some aliasing though (wide shots). If doing wide shots in 60fps I would put the camera is APS-C mode which is almost perfectly clean.

A7s is a beautiful camera with great dynamic range, a very very good balance of price vs quality, especially when compared to much more expensive cinema cameras.

• Administrators

I have a good feeling that I made the right choice, maybe someday I will film in 4K, but for now I will use the 1080. Happy!​

​Good choice.

I'll leave the art part up to you rather than lecture on that like certain other members like to do...

Just talk tech on your forum.  Got it.  It is what it is.  No problem.

​Actually in case you did not notice, the topic question was about tech. If you want to talk about something else than the real subject of the topic here, create another post in the right section.